• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pappy vs Jefferson's Video Review

chiefmd

Bone Fixer
Pappy Van Winkle 20 year vs Jefferson's Presidential Select 18 year. There has been lots of talk of these two so I thought I would do a newb review of them side by side. Please correct any information I got wrong. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/BvMKj5A1J5E

Thanks for the review.

Both are good drinks. I personally feel that, I get just a little "slighted" on the Pappy 20. I just want more from a brand hat cost as much for a bottle. Because of that, I have never wanted to grab the 23 year old (although it does look better).

I remember when I fired up a stick and had a glass of Dow's 10 Year Old Tawny Port I thought, "this was good, very good". Then I grabbed a bottle of Dow's 20 Year Old Tawny Port, I remember saying, “that this was unbelievable!” I thought, "this makes the 10 year old tasted like swill!” I then grabbed a bottle of Dow's 30 year Old Tawny Port, pure heaven in a glass with a stick. You guessed it, the 20 Year Old tasted like swill. It was crazy.

Dow’s 30 Year Old Tawny Port, then just about any other Bourbon on the market.

Yea I agree. A lot of it is hype. I did that with the balvenie line. I'm at the 21 year and I think it is a taste of heaven. I bet I'd throw it aside if I had the 30 year. I'm not sure about the 23 year pappy. They did have it at the store I bought the 20 from but the price was astronomical. From the reviews I have read the 20 year is still preferred over the 23, most likely based on price.

Every Pappy 20 except for the very first issue 23 (in the light greenish bottle, high rye version) is better then the 23 if you aren't an oak fan. That first Pappy 23 is one of my all time favorites but they only bottled 903 of them and I had 2 :)

This one was pretty good too, maybe #2 in the consumer line. There have been some private bottlings of the Pappy 23 that were quite good but limited to 160 bottles or so. I have 2 and I know of a third one that was bottled.

The only real problem with the review is that the two bottles were not open the same amount of time and at the same fill level. Once a bottle is below 50% there is more oxidation and alcohol evaporation compared to a fuller bottle. The only way to get around that in a review is to always review full bottles or take a hell of a good set of notes when you do open a bottle. Otherwise, not bad. I'd buy them based on the review if I was looking.

I can redo it if you want to send me some fresh ones. :) but yea your right. I'm a total newb so I would have never even thought of that. I just wanted to give everyone a look.

Nice review chief! So far Pappy 20 is at the top of my favorite bourbon list although I have yet to try the J-18.

Nice review chief! So far Pappy 20 is at the top of my favorite bourbon list although I have yet to try the J-18.

If interested there are plenty of the JPS18's available here for $69 a bottle. Just let me know.

Oh and Chief great review. :thumbs:

That's actually a good price. They are about 89 a bottle here

Thanks Greggj77 it's $89-$95 here so I'm not sure the savings out weighs the cost and risk of shipping.
I do appreciate the offer though.

95$ At Julio's- to much for me.

I did pick up some Clyde May's- very nice new small batch.