• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas 160 Robusto

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
I received this stick as a gift from brother Infinity on the same day as Double D's birthday, and have to admit I forgot about it in the rush to get over to Dale's house for his birthday party. Thank you Brian, it turns out that the 160 is one of the best cigars I've had the pleasure of smoking.

I've never heard of the 160 before and to be frank ignore most of the NC cigars named after Cuban brands, due to the fact I can and do get the real thing all the time.

The Partagas 160 is a true tribute to the Partagas name.

Taken from Arnold's cigar store:

The Partagas 160 Signature Series is the last issue of this highly sought-after cigar. The very rare 29 year old Cameroon wrapper together with Dominican and Mexican binder and filler creates a rich and well-balanced cigar. It is an EXTREMELY LIMITED RELEASE!

shape: ROBUSTO

length: 5 inches

ring gage: 50

As I was trying to decide what to drink while enjoying this cigar my wife came home and said, "They were having a wine tasting at the beverage store today and I bought us a few bottles of a Rheinhessen red I liked."

Never had wine with a cigar before, but if its good enough for NorCal, its good enough for me!

1000868hb6.jpg

I lit up a few candles to celebrate the first day of December and sat down in the 5°C weather to light up the 160.

Now let me explain something about the 160, its a very understated cigar. The wrapper is milk chocolate brown and the band is a plain Red and Gold motif that doesn't jump out at you like the bands a lot of immensely inferior cigars have wrapped around them.

The cigar wrapper is also the most silky-smooth of any cigar I've ever had my hands upon.

1000869ai9.jpg

The cap looks like it has a marble underneath it, and is triple wrapped.

1000872aw3.jpg

And as I said the band is a study in understatement.

So after taking a quick break to go grab a down vest I clipped the 160 and put it to flame.

Very mild in the beginning with a firm dark gray ash, the cigar has that "Cameroon" taste, its very hard to describe, but any cigar lover who has smoked a good Cameroon cigar knows it. I'll compare it to the taste you get when you add Nutmeg to Hot Chocolate, but my inexperienced palate probably isn't doing it justice.

This is also one of those subtle cigars you have to concentrate on. Take a sip of wine (BTW really really liked the combo, its bound to become a favorite) and a slow steady puff and then let the creamy smoke gently billow out of your mouth and nose.

Ummmmmmmm! :love:

Elke came out to have a glass of wine with me and to smoke a cigarette and she commented on how good the smoke from the 160 smelled. And shes right, the ample smoke coming from both ends makes you want to hold the cut tip close to your nose and inhale... and I did for the entire 45+ mins I spent smoking the 160.

Near the middle the cigar picked up in flavor, not so much changing in profile but getting stronger. As I tapped off the first ash I noticed it was tri-colored, light and dark gray with a dry salt grass color mixed in.

Near the end the 160 started to make my lips and mouth tingle, sort of like when you finish a strong mint and take a deep breath with a open mouth.

I nubbed it.

1000873wf1.jpg

And this picture is for the wine lovers here... 4 euro a bottle, this stuff is pretty damn good. As I mentioned I've never drank wine with a cigar before, and I was delighted in how good they go together. :thumbs: It certainly won't be the last time I partake in the grape while stoking a stogie!

1000874jr6.jpg

Thanks for reading my review, I hope you enjoyed it.

Shawn

Well done, Shawn!

Its cool to try both, vicariously through that wonderful review. Interesting that (I think) the cigar cost more than the wine :laugh:

Excellent review, glad you enjoyed the stick Shawn.

Brian

Excellent review, glad you enjoyed the stick Shawn.

Brian

:love:

I just wish it was warmer outside, I bet it would have tasted even better.

Am I the only one that thinks cold air mutes the taste of a good cigar?

And maybe Double D can pipe up and say what he thought of the one I shared with him. I know he smoked it already :cool:

Thanks again for making it possible. Hope to see another fine review from you again soon.

Shawn

I really enjoy your reviews Shawn, and this one was also excelent! :thumbs:

Shawn great review (as always) - I almost always smoke my cigars with red wine, unless I am on the course. I enjoy the combo of the two.

Oh yea, almost forgot - nice play Brian

Great review Shawn! i have yet to try the wine cigar combo, but i may have to now! :) I agree with you about smoking in cold weather.

Great review. I think I may have to burn mine tomorrow night. You made it sound so good.

I've got one I'm gonna save for my birthday. I'm surprised it didn't explode from the cold temp though. 5C is not good for cigars.

I've got one I'm gonna save for my birthday. I'm surprised it didn't explode from the cold temp though. 5C is not good for cigars.

Especially Cammies! What a terrible turn of events that would have been! :0

Great review! I've not had these, but I've had one 150. It didn't do much for me. I hear (and it sounds as though) the 160 is much better.

Brian's generosity is truly a bright spot around here!

Excellent review Shawn, very mixed reviews with this 160 stick, either people tend to love it or hate it.

I used the old tried and true method to keep the wrapper moist, Devil Doc knows what I'm talking about ;)

I love red wine and a cigar. A Zinfandel or something Spanish works for me with just about any kind of smoke.

Wonderful review.

Never had wine and a cigar before. I also never lit candles. . .just what were you planning to do to that poor 160 anyway? :whistling: :laugh:

Wonderful review.

Never had wine and a cigar before. I also never lit candles. . .just what were you planning to do to that poor 160 anyway? :whistling: :laugh:

Sit outside with my Wife :) it was a nice afternoon today regardless of how cold it was.

Wonderful review.

Sit outside with my Wife :) it was a nice afternoon today regardless of how cold it was.

You got a great woman to sit outside with you and enjoy a cigar in the cold.

Now I wasn't asking so you didn't have to tell me. :whistling:

I used the old tried and true method to keep the wrapper moist, Devil Doc knows what I'm talking about ;)

Shawn,
Thanks for the great review! It's always a pleasure reading 'em!!! :thumbs:

Well since my input was asked for here it goes. Well it seems Sean slipped this one into my Humidor and I did not notice it. but the Saturday after Thanksgiving I was going on a drive hunt and happened to grab it mostly do to it's size.

I cut it and lit it up in my car on the way to the hunt. now I wish I could say that I was having visions of all the great flavors this stick had to offer. but as it was I was having visions of red deer in my scope instead mixed in with Russian boars dropping one by one as I shot them as they ran by.

I do recall that there was a bit of spice and large clouds of smoke billowing throughout my truck. when I pulled up to the meeting point my friend was waiting and when I opened the door he started coughing and said you and those damn cigars.

I reported to the forester puffing away contentedly still thinking about legions of trophy animals dropping before me in the coming hours. as it was even though I saw plenty of animals I did not have the oppurtunity to shoot any however it was a memorable day.

This cigar was a good smoke and is memorable to me because I often relate my cigars to specific events or occasions and the annual drive hunt is a big day for me. this was a great smoke even though I cant recall the specific qualitys of it. If it had been any lesser smoke I would have remembered it as the crappy cigar I smoked before the drive hunt. so thank you Infinity for gifting these to Sean and thank you Sean for sharing one with me.