• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas 898 Varnished (JUN04)

cigardawg

I went by my favorite tobacconist Friday afternoon and sat with he and mrjinglesusa (Jim) to enjoy a cigar. For this afternoon, I chose a Partagas 898 Varnished that I had from a box split some months ago. It was a great afternoon of cigar smoking and comradrie. Here are my thoughts:

Partagas 898 Varnished (JUN04)

This cigar has a nice medium-brown wrapper on it. Inspection of the wrapper revealed only one major vein and beautifully hidden seams. There was a slight bit of damage near the band, but nothing of any concern. The triple-flagged cap was very well applied. The pre-light nose was earthy and sweet, with just a hint of leather and wood. Very nice. The pre-light draw was a bit tighter than I would have liked, but definitely smokable.

Just a quick note, the Dalia is probably my favorite vitola among Cuban cigars. It just seems perfect. I like the way it looks, the feel in the mouth, the burning characteristics...just about everything.

So, I applied the torch to foot and nicely toasted it prior to puffing. As I puffed, I experienced the first bit of aroma. It was woody and sweet, doing a pleasant dance across the olfactory organs. The cigar lit easily and the draw opened just a little. Still not as open as I would like, but not too bad. Smoke production was only medium due to the tight draw. The cigar burned very even throughout the 6 5/8 inches. The ash was a light gray and very firm, requiring me to actually knock it off. The cigar burned cool down to the last inch, never becoming uncomfortable.

I believe the tight draw may be due to the youngness of the cigar. Based on my experience (and it is not necessarily extensive), the longer, smaller ring-gauge cigars require age...not necessarily to taste better, but to smoke better. This is just an observation from my experience, not a general statement.

Now, the taste. Well, it was a Partagas. Sometimes, that would be all that I would feel the need to say about this marca. However, this cigar provided something unique. Yes, there was the Partagas richness. There was the spice and the wood. There was coffee and even a hint of cocoa. However, this cigar had another property. It had the "cleanest" tobacco taste of any cigar that I have ever experienced. "Clean" is the only word I know to describe the feel in the mouth. It was never cloying and the flavors, while rich and full, did not linger unpleasantly. It left my palate feeling very good at the end of the smoke. I thoroughly enjoyed the taste of this cigar.

Well, what can I say. My favorite vitola from my favorite marca. Great conversation and comradrie. Truly a great Friday afternoon. The cigar, I give it an A- based on the draw. Once it opens up, this will be an A or A+ for me.

Fantastic story! It's nice to understand the context in which you smoked the cigar. Smoking with friends on a relaxing Friday afternoon. I could really feel it, and taste the memories. Thanks for the great review!

Wow! I have been eyeing these for sometime. With a review like that, it's hard to argue.
Quick question. How is this compared to the unvarnished? Any help would be appreciated.

Great job!

n

What a nice review. I really love the Partagas profiles and surprisingly, this is one vitola I have yet to try!

I share your love of the Dalias vitola de g. I like the very similar Cervantes as well and I wonder if you feel the same. Like you, I feel the proportions are just ideal both for holding in the hand as well as in the mouth. And the 898 packing is just elegant IMO.

The "clean" feel is one I value as well. Some great cigars are just heavy in the mouth, though tasty. The 898V sounds like something special though.

Thanks for the great write-up.

Wilkey

nfulton said:
Wow! I have been eyeing these for sometime. With a review like that, it's hard to argue.
Quick question. How is this compared to the unvarnished? Any help would be appreciated.

Great job!

n
[snapback]287983[/snapback]​

I have yet to try the 898 Unvarnished. Something that will be remedied in the very near future. :p It is a different vitola. The 898 Varnished measures 6 5/8 x 43. The 898 Unvarnished measures 6 1/8 x 42 (the same size as the Punch Super Selection No. 1 and the Le Hoyo de Dieux, a couple of my favorites). By all accounts, the 898 Unvarnished is a milder smoke, but I cannot speak from experience here.

Ginseng said:
What a nice review. I really love the Partagas profiles and surprisingly, this is one vitola I have yet to try!

I share your love of the Dalias vitola de g. I like the very similar Cervantes as well and I wonder if you feel the same. Like you, I feel the proportions are just ideal both for holding in the hand as well as in the mouth. And the 898 packing is just elegant IMO.

The "clean" feel is one I value as well. Some great cigars are just heavy in the mouth, though tasty. The 898V sounds like something special though.

Thanks for the great write-up.

Wilkey
[snapback]287985[/snapback]​
For my palate, the Partagas marca is the best match among Cuban cigars. The flavors just really do it for me.

If memory serves me correctly, the Cervantes measures 6 1/2 x 42. The classic lonsdale. And yes, I do like this size cigar very much. Especially the Bolivar and Partagas Lonsdales. Both are excellent. I am looking forward to expanding my experiences in this vitola as well.

Thanks for the review of one of my all time favorites. I understand the "clean" refernce as there is usually no nasty tongue burn left on a really good cigar and after it is done, you don't have the burn normally associated with more harsh cigar even though that burn may not be evident during the smoke. Not to say that the finish is short, because it is not.

I have had many of the unvarnished and they are not, IMHO (very humble), nearly as full of flavor. They seem to me to be a more thin in the flavor department, and more cellulose in character. I have had three different vintages and in comparison to the varnished leave something to desired, although on their own they are still a pretty good smoke.

Thanks for the review. Regarding the tight draw, I got a fiver of these from '01 (I think, maybe '02) and they've all had the same issue: nice flavor, but a lot of work to get it out of the stick due to the draw. Not plugged, just too tight for my taste.