• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Partagas Serie D No. 4

iota

I've been hiding out in the Today's Smoke II thread, giving some quick reviews there of my daily smokes and keeping my head low, but MoeCizlak slapped me around a bit and told me to stick my neck out here.

I know the PSD4 has been done to death, and it's a huge favorite, but I today when ree ree robusto said he wasn't impressed with them, I knew that I had to grab one and follow that up. Because I agree. I find them good, but not great and definitely not in my top ten. Probably someone will say that's because I never age my cigars, it'll be awesome in a few years and I'm totally missing out. And that's possibly true, but personally I just prefer things I can smoke right out of the box because that's why they're there. Or maybe it's because I think it's the manufacturers job to make something great, not mine. Or possibly it's because I'm just damn impatient. Probably that's it.

On to the Partagas Serie D No. 4 (4 7/8" x 50). The wrapper had a couple of small imperfections, but likely mostly due to banging around in the box. Nothing major. I didn't notice any real problems with the construction. Everything looked solid and I was ready to go. Lit up with a nice even burn, and kept even until past the halfway point where I got a bit of a run. The flavor was nice and really smooth, but it's just too mild up front. I noticed that I was drawing extra hard without thinking about it and making things worse for myself, and I had to baby the draw a bit to get as much flavor as I wanted. Although it did really pick up a lot in the final third and became much more enjoyable. I was thinking about pairing it with a beer, but the flavor would just get eclipsed I think. So I went with relaxing with a book instead.

Related threads:

769743010_J7GrW-XL.jpg

769758234_VEY4x-XL.jpg

769771933_hSShA-XL.jpg

More pictures...

It's like watching my kid ride down the sidewalk without training wheels for the first time. Excuse me, I have some dust in my eye. :laugh:

Well done. I really do like your pictures and you give an honest assessment of your smoking experience. I think this does CP a world of good, especially with the more popular cigars like this one. If everyone just fawned over them and a new guy looking to try something didn't see a review where the cigar was just "Meh", I think it would be a great injustice. I've never had one of these so I can't add my opinion to it, but I have had cigars where I've read reviews that were positive and I didn't care for the cigar at all. Great job out of you, look forward to reading more of them.

I agree. Great review of they cigar. I actually just smoked this one yesterday as well and a lot of your points were dead on. The first half was very mild and smooth. It wasn't until the second half that the flavors really picked up to a medium to full flavor. I did however really enjoy it. Mine had a bit of age on it and the draw, burn and smoke were about perfect. Now only if the first half could taste like the second.

Again, great review and thanks!

BTW, where in the hell did you get the donkey cigar holder?

I agree. Great review of they cigar. I actually just smoked this one yesterday as well and a lot of your points were dead on. The first half was very mild and smooth. It wasn't until the second half that the flavors really picked up to a medium to full flavor. I did however really enjoy it. Mine had a bit of age on it and the draw, burn and smoke were about perfect. Now only if the first half could taste like the second.

Again, great review and thanks!

I thought the exact same thing after looking at the pictures. :laugh:

Nice review, but everyone should remember that the PSD4 suck. Everyone should stay away from them. I need everyone to boycott these cigars so that vendors will have to slash their prices and I can stock up on them. :)

Excellent review Mike!

The background research you included in your review along with the photos (donkey cigar holder ;) ) make your review of a classic cigar outstanding.

Keep the reviews coming :thumbs:

I paired a PSD4 with a bottle of Unibroue Trois Pistoles and had a great time discerning flavors with both. What was really awesome was a paired the beer with a different cigar the next night and picked out different flavors in the beer!

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys!

So he's actually a cigarette dispenser. I forget where I got him, honestly. You stick the cigarettes in his pack and he dispenses them when you pull his ears down. Just like any good burro, he's good for holding just about anything, not just cigars! :)

770378867_fJ3Gn-XL.jpg

770379286_HEDJe-XL.jpg

770379608_WW4ZA-XL.jpg

770384210_8HZYE-XL.jpg

I paired a PSD4 with a bottle of Unibroue Trois Pistoles and had a great time discerning flavors with both. What was really awesome was a paired the beer with a different cigar the next night and picked out different flavors in the beer!
I think some people just have more sensitive tastes. For me, if there are too many flavors happening at the same times, things just get muddled. Same with food, actually.

It's like watching my kid ride down the sidewalk without training wheels for the first time. Excuse me, I have some dust in my eye. :laugh:
Yeah, well, I guess it had to happen sometime. :) I think I'll just keep sharing what strikes me and leave the flavor profile analysis and other esoterica to the experts.

Mike.

Smoked a PSD4 I got from ReeRee last month, sucker was great!

As for that donky dispenser, if they made one for cigars I'd buy one soooo fast! Can you visualize a torpedo or belicoso coming out his butt if you offered it to a friend?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Heeeeeehoooooowwwww. No wonder his eyes are bulging!

Smoked a PSD4 I got from ReeRee last month, sucker was great!

As for that donky dispenser, if they made one for cigars I'd buy one soooo fast! Can you visualize a torpedo or belicoso coming out his butt if you offered it to a friend?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Heeeeeehoooooowwwww. No wonder his eyes are bulging!
th

Glad you liked the PSD4. Maybe my palate was off the last two times I've tried this smoke. But, I've had boxes of these in the past and smoked them fresh. The spice on them young was great. Just not getting that at this point now...

BTW, love the donkey dispenser! Classic! ;)