• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Patriots may have to forfiet draft picks

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
It has been concluded that the Patriots were using a camera man to film the Jets hand signals and play calling during the game. The Pats will have an opportunity to present their side of the story, obviously, before punishment is handed down.

I'm sure you are all aware of this by now but the question begs.................is taking a draft pick or two away next year a fitting punishment?

1. The Pats have been accused of this twice before and caught once before.

2. The forfeited pick(s) will be late in the round.

3. How many other teams are doing this?

4. If they reversed the outcome of the game with the Jets would it stop the other teams who do this? Or prevent those contemplating it from going through with it?

Next thing you know, NFL players will be taking steroids!

To answer your 2 questions...

I think every team in the NFL does this to some degree. It just happens that the Pats got caught, because they went 'above and beyond.'

As far as reversing the outcome... you can't do that for a few reasons. Only 16 games in the season, so every one is very meaningful. Second - the Pats probably would have whipped the Jets anyway, video camera or not. And third - Las Vegas. While technically LV and the NFL are not partners, why do you think they publish injury reports? Trying to reverse the decision on a game 3 days later would not go well for gamblers.

To answer your 2 questions...

I think every team in the NFL does this to some degree. It just happens that the Pats got caught, because they went 'above and beyond.'

As far as reversing the outcome... you can't do that for a few reasons. Only 16 games in the season, so every one is very meaningful. Second - the Pats probably would have whipped the Jets anyway, video camera or not. And third - Las Vegas. While technically LV and the NFL are not partners, why do you think they publish injury reports? Trying to reverse the decision on a game 3 days later would not go well for gamblers.

Reversing the outcome (while it will never happen) would serve very well to demonstrate the critical nature of getting caught, to the Pats and everybody else. And yes the Pats would have whipped the Jets anyway, but now the Pats would be a game behind the Jets and that is "mission accomplished" as far as punishment.

Regarding the LV connection, reversing the outcome would certify the NFL commissioner's immediate execution, gang land style!

hello,

if they are guilty the outcome should be reversed (especially when you consider the fact that they have done it before).

then again, what the heck do i know. i'm just a browns fan from socal.

4. If they reversed the outcome of the game with the Jets would it stop the other teams who do this? Or prevent those contemplating it from going through with it?

LOL!

Next thing you know, NFL players will be taking steroids!

thanks,
mike

Wow, what a great opener for the Pats. Great team that got caught doing some shady stuff. They'll probably still make it to the playoffs.

Do it NCAA style, ban them from Bowl Games and put them on probation.

Tim

Is there a rule against that?

I don't see where there's anything wrong with what they did and if there IS a rule against filming hand signals, it's a stupid rule (IMO).

Is there a rule against that?

I don't see where there's anything wrong with what they did and if there IS a rule against filming hand signals, it's a stupid rule (IMO).
Yes there is a rule against that, and it was specifically reiterated before the season by commissioner Goodell.

Now all those super bowls are as tainted as barry's home run record.

Now all those super bowls are as tainted as barry's home run record.

I agree, although they are still significant accomplishments. It's more a symptom of the breakdown of our society than one or two transgressions. I mean, come on, look around! ;) ;) nudge, nudge!