• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Paypal Users, Beware

Guys, as most of you know I have an online business. Well almost all of my transactions are done through paypal. So far I haven't had any problems and they have been great. Well this morning I check my email and I get one from info@paypal.com saying how my account showed fraudulent activity and I needed to login to paypal via their direct link. The email looked just like one I would get from paypal. I clicked on the link and logged in, then started to realize something wasn't right.

I forwared the email to spoof@paypal.com which is paypals problem center etc and they got back to me within 5 minutes confirming that it was a scam email. So I immediately went back into paypal and reset all of my passwords, etc.

Luckily I caught on before I entered my paypal card info. I've heard of these types of scams alot, but as much as I use paypal, this one caught me off guard.

So be careful guys....

Thanks for the Heads up... I have received one of those as well in the past, and it really does look genuine..but if you take a look at the address the link they provide sends you to its an IP address and page not related to paypal unfortunately....

All about Phishing

They do this with Online banking as well,

Glad you caught it in time Hillybilly, alot of people do not and woe be unto them :(

I'm actually getting more worried. I didn't put in any credit card info, but I did login to the site. So that means they have my password. Its not linked to too many places, but there are a few.

DAMNIT!

You use the same password for Banking or anything of that nature?

If so start logging in and changing your password ASAP.

Wurm said:

[snapback]273756[/snapback]​

no, and the login info is different. Its mainly my password for a couple places like email and such.

Hillbilly Steaks said:
Wurm said:

[snapback]273756[/snapback]​

no, and the login info is different. Its mainly my password for a couple places like email and such.
[snapback]273760[/snapback]​

You should be ok then, but if you all of a sudden start posting how you decided to turn Vegan and love the PETA then we will know what happened :p

I get two or three phishing emails from "paypal" a week. Just click on the link and watch the address bar and you'll see some interesting url's. LOL

Sometimes I log in with passwords like "f**ktard" just to break balls.

thanks for the heads up, have to put the shields up again.

well the problem is, with all the phising is that they tend to spoof the ulr if there good ones. But for that:
http://security.openwares.org/

:) You'll never see another spoofed ULR just the full address.

Rule of thumb:

Amazon, PayPal are pretty smart companies--they won't lose our email/passwords/credit card information. If they do, they will let you know when you access your account yourself.

Second: never ever click on a hyperlink since people can cover their urls. Type in the address. Takes 10 seconds more but saves big headaches.

I actually got a phone call a couple months ago asking for my Paypal info and card number.

I dont think so buddy...

Usually I follow the link and enter the fields with stuff like;

Username: You're a dick
Password: Suck mine

Or variations on that one!

:laugh:

Hillbilly,

If you logged in using the login link provided in the email, you should call PayPal immediately and tell them what happened. They will reset your account so no one else can get into it.

Rod

Rod said:
Hillbilly,

If you logged in using the login link provided in the email, you should call PayPal immediately and tell them what happened. They will reset your account so no one else can get into it.

Rod
[snapback]273935[/snapback]​

I went in and changed my password, is that enough??