• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perdomo Event

chewbacco

darkside looks appealing...
I attended the Perdomo event held in Dana Point California this weekend.

I read-up on some Perdomos before attending and the Cameroon Reserva caught my eye.

I tried the smallest size, I think it was a petite robusto.
(I'll put-up more details once I get home...don't remember the details right now).

Anyway, the cello wrapper looked like mylar...it was pretty nice.
The cigar's outer wrapper looked somewhat sungrown, but not.
It kinda had a mix of black specks, brown, and light brown colors all over the wrapper. Different from what I'm used to. They sorta looked like leaves off a tree.

The flavor...it wasn't that bad.
I know a lot of people on this site don't care for Perdomos, so my expectations were really low.
The description of the cigar in the cA cigar book states that the Cameroon Reserva had a slightly sweet flavor to it...and it did!

This cigar was easy to smoke and had a slight, pleasantly sweet flavor. Would I buy one again? Probably not, since there are better cigars. But, I wasn't disappointed. I paid about $5.75 for this cigar.

The other cigar I was interested in was the Champagne line. It appeared to have a natural outer wrapper, instead of the speckled Reserva line. The flavor was described to me as a better Ashton natural. Anyone try one?

Also, has anyone tried the Cameroon Reserva line?

I've had a few perdomos before that were better than I expected to. I notice the construction always isn't great, but the flavor was fine. Did they give out any free cigars at the event? The reason I ask is that there is a Perdomo event coming up this Saturday at a store in Elmhurst, IL (Elmhurst Cigar House) that I plan on going to.

No, they didn't.

They just had a couple of deals.

If you bought 3 cigars, you'll get 1 free.
If you bought 7 cigars, you'll get 2 free (I think).
If you bought half a box, you'll get the other for free (I think).

Or something like the above.

I thought they would hand-out some also, but they didn't.

I have very mixed feelings about Perdomo...both the cigars and the company.

Prior to the 2005 RTDA, I was very down on Perdomo. I thought their line was cigars was very lacking...construction, flavor, imagination...everything lacking. In addition, their representatives just didn't do it for me.

Fast forward to 2005 RTDA. I got to spend some time with some great reps and with Arthur Kemper, their national sales manager. Good folks, incredibly helpful, good problem solvers. An all around good experience. Then I tried the cigars. Wow! The EDS Cameroon Grovey was my favorite of the entire show...and I don't like Cameroon wrapped cigars. :p The ESV Cameroon is, I think, just as good if not better. In fact, at our annual X-mas herf, I bought a box and had them waiting for us at the first stop. Everyone in the group enjoyed them. Then I tried the EDS maduro...once again excellent. Finally, the reserve maduro petite corona...a great little cigar. Taste and construction on all of these have been great.

Now, my mixed feelings. The EDS and the ESV, while I really like both and would smoke them often, are too damned expensive. The ESVs (the Cameroons, the natural/maduros can be had for less) start at $12.50. The EDS starts at $20. They are good, but they are not THAT good. The reserve line is about the right price for the quality of the cigar...I have nothing negative to say there. They are shooting for the ultra-premium market, but have priced themselves out of it. The cigars are not better than VSGs, LE5s, 100 Anos, Opus, 1964s, 1926s, etc...then why are they more expensive. I know there is overlap, but you get my drift.

My conclusion to this long post, Perdomo has turned around the quality and taste of their cigars. They now make interesting, well constructed, flavorful cigars for most palates. They just need to do something about their pricing.

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. :whistling:

wow cigardawg, very informative.

Maybe one day, I'll try another Perdomo.
Maybe a higher-end cameroon or maduro.

Thanks for the info.

I've tried most perdomos. I got turned on to the cameroon estate selection (old blend) and enjoyed it so I tried some others. The champagne is a good cigar and I also enjoy the ESV's and the EDS. Now I know cbid is a little dangerous if your not patient but I've been getting EDS, both nat and mad for around 13 bucks a stick (regardless of size) and the other lines for around 15 a 5 pack.

Honestly, I think the EDS are worth about 13 but not the 23-25 they msrp for. It's that crazy box they come in. You can't tell me that spice spanish oak isn't expensive. I have a link at my office to a site that sells the esv's for around 100 a box, give or take 10 20 depending on the size for the nat and mad. I'll posted it here tomorrow.