• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Perez-Carrillo leaving General Cigar?

:laugh: I actually thought I told you that when we met in Montreal because you said you were a fan.

I do not know more then he is leaving along with Daniel Nunez. I am sure others can speak to why more then I can.

Wow didn't see that coming. I dont think I buy the whole , "I want to reinvent myself " theory though. Glad I have boxes of some old LGC's tucked safely away in the humi.

Wow didn't see that coming. I dont think I buy the whole , "I want to reinvent myself " theory though. Glad I have boxes of some old LGC's tucked safely away in the humi.

Well stated. I have always had a love affair with serie R's. They were a great smoke when I started smoking and they are still great today. I also am a big collector of his humidors. I am only missing one :angry:

:laugh: I actually thought I told you that when we met in Montreal because you said you were a fan.

I do not know more then he is leaving along with Daniel Nunez. I am sure others can speak to why more then I can.
I think I vaguely remember you mentioning that now. I guess I didn't think he'd be leaving everything behind. The LGC brand is such a hugely popular brand...it seems to me there must some more backstory to this.

The Wavell used to be a go-to cigar when I first started smoking. I've had a few Serie R's and they were fantastic. Who know what will happen to those brands now?

Swedish Match purchased General Cigar not so long ago. They have been putting more and more of thier management in place and driving the business. I don't think its a coincidence that Ernesto and Daniel Nunez deciede to leave the company within months of each other. Sack and I spent a few days with both of them in the Dominican. The two of them are VERY close. I think they are either being pushed out or have decided to leave becuase of differences with the new Corporate Management team out of Virginia (Swedish Match). Remember for Swedish Match General Cigar and premium cigars are not thier big money maker. Machine made cigars and smokeless tobacco are thier cash cows.

I speak with some of the people who work for General and i believe that both Daniel and Ernesto are people persons and General is bringing in their corporate philosophy into the work place. You have to see how these two walk among the workers and know everyone by name. Dan Conner will have his work cut out for him, but to be fair, General pays their workers fifty percent more than other workers in the DR. General also provides schooling and medical assistance to the workers. Dan Conner is taking Daniel Nunez's place as President of General Cigar.

I speak with some of the people who work for General and i believe that both Daniel and Ernesto are people persons and General is bringing in their corporate philosophy into the work place. You have to see how these two walk among the workers and know everyone by name. Dan Conner will have his work cut out for him, but to be fair, General pays their workers fifty percent more than other workers in the DR. General also provides schooling and medical assistance to the workers. Dan Conner is taking Daniel Nunez's place as President of General Cigar.

You mean Dan Carr...Dan Conner was one of the ambassadors on the trip with us

Swedish Match purchased General Cigar not so long ago. They have been putting more and more of thier management in place and driving the business. I don't think its a coincidence that Ernesto and Daniel Nunez deciede to leave the company within months of each other. Sack and I spent a few days with both of them in the Dominican. The two of them are VERY close. I think they are either being pushed out or have decided to leave becuase of differences with the new Corporate Management team out of Virginia (Swedish Match). Remember for Swedish Match General Cigar and premium cigars are not thier big money maker. Machine made cigars and smokeless tobacco are thier cash cows.

This makes sense. People don't leave their life's work behind just to "start a new venture". I can see how SM would be pushing their corporate philosophy onto their newly acquired company. I admire them for disassociating themselves with General/SM if they don't believe in their ways of running the business. It'll also give them a chance to make great new cigars!

The owner of my B&M told me that he left a few weeks ago; not sure where he got his information but I guess it was correct. Kinda interesting to see a cigar brand go from mass production to more boutique.

I was told Ernesto is planning on heading to
Nicaragua to start a new cigar project.

Remains to be seen.

I wish Ernesto the best. Now I can get back
to calling his direct office line in Miami.

It's my understanding that when he sold his company to General, he was only to remain as the face of the company, so I am not suprised that he would be leaving to start another venture. My concern, however, is that La Gloria is now going to get lost in the sea of "so, so" cigars by General.

I was told Ernesto is planning on heading to
Nicaragua to start a new cigar project.

Remains to be seen.

I wish Ernesto the best. Now I can get back
to calling his direct office line in Miami.
That's what i'm hoping for, call the man on the phone and place your order. But the best would be to go to Miami and talk directly to him. Hope upon hope that he returns to Miami. :)

To throw on my wild conspiracy theorist hat for a second ... here's a couple:

- EPC sold El Credito to General in 1999. Perhaps there was a 10-year non-compete clause in the 1999 agreement that expired at the beginning of 2009.

- Swedish Match and Imperial Tobacco do not want to fight each other for decades in US courts once the embargo is lifted. It is their best interests to have an orderly transition in the marketplace. Before, when the Cubans (ex-pat or not) were involved, there were issues other than pure commerce. With SM and Imperial now essentially owning, between themselves, all of the big Cuban brands in the US and worldwide, along with all export rights for bulk Cuban tobacco, business comes first, and the LGC name is a bargaining chip.

Just making wild guesses :rolleyes:

General does not have much mass market.....when was the last time you SAW a White Owl. Ernesto sold basically because at the time in 99 his kids did not want any part of the business. That has changed. They now want to be a part of it. That is why he is going out on his own. He is still with General until March 15.