• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Personal DVD Player with Goofy Capabilities...

oak

Let it burn...
I was talking to a fellow from the UK today, and he was telling me about personal DVD players that are available outside the USA. Specifically, he indicated that you could get a personal player that would handle DVDs (all regions), some burned DVDs, and CDs with a variety of burned media (mp3, mpeg, divx, pretty much anything).

I am not up on personal dvd players to begin with, but his indication was that players available in the USA couldn't handle all the secondary codec's and media types (he starting gibbering about import regulations and piracy laws and other stuff).

I was thinking about getting this sort of thing as a gift for someone - but they're a huge nerd - and would want to be able to play all the secondary **** (particularly burned CDs and DVDs from their computer with divx and mpeg movies).

Anyone know the skinny on this sort of crap, and point me in the right direction (I'm not assuming anything I heard is correct)? Just being lazy and hoping someone else already geeked out and did this research already...

Cheers,

- Oak

If I remember correctly, the ones here in the US should play video cds, burnt DVD's, maybe even some secondary files like AVI's and whatnot, depending on which model you get. The thing that it won't do is play international DVD's. It will only play US market DVDs. If you want one that is "unlocked" per se, I would look online at one of those Hong Kong based dealers that will sell ya one. LikeHere I am not saying buy from here, as I have no previous experience, only check it out for more info.