• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PETA protest

texasaggie

Need a drink...
I'm back from lunch, that was fun, a friend and I went to KFC where PETA was protesting and ate. I sat on the tailgate of my truck and slowly downed a bucket of chicken while ushering new customers in, of course with a cigar. One of the protesters had a dog, and I asked her if it wanted a bone, she didn't like that too much. Her dog got free a little while later, ran over to me, and knawed on a drumstick I had in my hand, I told her her dog looked malnourished and I should call animal control. The regional manager of KFC didn't seem to mind, he gave me free dessert and kept refilling my drink, neither did the cop that hung out with me making sure none of them came on the premises or blocked traffic. I wonder if they realized they were wearing shoes made from leather. :D

Ok, rant over, had to get that out it was too much fun to keep to myself.

texasaggie said:
(snip)
One of the protesters had a dog, and I asked her if it wanted a bone, she didn't like that too much. Her dog got free a little while later, ran over to me, and knawed on a drumstick I had in my hand, I told her her dog looked malnourished and I should call animal control.
(snip)
Are you serious...........the dog gnawed on the reamins of one of his animal kingdom relatives.......... :0

I'm soooooooooo sick of the whacko acts that are prevalent in our society. Animal Rights, Environmentalists, Gay rights, Tobacco Police, Anti-Gun Whackos, Pro-Choicers, Anti-Abortionists, Gun Toting Whackos wanting to own Howitzers, you name it.............From both sides of the aisle.............they're all nut jobs.

The operative question would have been........."Don't you people have jobs?"

An M4 slinging (civilian, pre-ban version)-Glock 23 Packin'-meat eating-cigar smokin' HS Football Coach that uses foul language when the need arises,

M. Gipson

I wonder if PETA would want me as a member
I love animals, They taste good :sign: :thumbs:

Bill

PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals

Gonna throw some tasty dead animal on the grill tonight. :thumbs:

Eating chicken, sitting on a truck, smoking a cigar-you cossack!! :) :D :p ;)

Warning, long response from the offical CP vegetarian coming. Feel free to skip it if you aren't interested.

Ok. I've been a vegetarian for about six years. I don't preach my way of life on others by any means. I don't support PETA in most of what they do, because they are fanatics, and I don't like fanatacism whether I agree with the cause or not.

That being said, I thought I'd educate you all a bit as to what the KFC issue is really about. Its not about a bunch of crazy hippies that think you shouldn't eat chicken, not at all. It's about animal cruelty and corporate greed. A few years back PETA did a survey of all the major fast food chains. They made a list of recomendation to each of them on how they should change there procedures to make there food processing more humane. They then started campaigns aimed at each of them to raise public awareness.

Burger King followed their recommendatiins.. Then Wendy's did.. Then McDonalds finally did, and the campaigns against all of them were stopped. KFC is the only one that refuses to follow PETA's recomendations for ending animal cruelty in their poultry plants.

Let me tell you about the average life of a chicken at a poultry plant. They are crammed into giant barns holding tens of thousands of chickens. Each one has about exactly the amount of space they need to stand in and no more. The stench from the waste (which is not cleaned) is so overpowering that workers need to wear masks to protect them from the ammoia. They are fattened up beyond a natural state to the point where many of them suffer broken legs because they simply are not built to support the weight they are forced to put on. They have there beaks cut off so they won't fight amongst themselves which is necessary because they are given so little space to live in. When they are ready to be slaughtered (at only about two months old - a chickens natural lifespan is 10 years) they are packed, live, into crates and sent to the plant. They are put in a machine that hangs them upside down by there feet. They travel down a conveyor belt of sorts.. They are eletrocuted, but this usually doesn't kill or even render them unconcious, then they have their throats slit. Then, while still alive but bleeding to death, they are dumped in a huge vat of near boiling water which causes their feathers to fall out.

Sounds like fun huh? Also, the horrible conditions the chickens are kept in leads to disease. A large portion of the chickens develop skin conditions, infections filled with puss, and other diseases. You know what happens to these chickens? You eat them too. So it's not just about animal cruelty, its about your health too. It used to be legal to slaughter and sell sick cattle also ("downer cattle") but then it was found that mad cow disease probably came from these sick cows so the USDA banned the process.

For much more detail than I wrote here feel free to visit http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com/

-Jason

I know exactly how chickens are raised for consumption, I've worked on a chicken ranch with thousands of chickens, and I've raised cattle and been to slaughterhouses and feedlots. The chicken still tastes good and so does the beef, I am sure some of the poor chickens are not happy with the electrocution, but if they are alive, they certainly aren't feeling much, they're knocked out. I've also debeaked chickens so they don't kill each other, it's nothing more than when a human has moles burned off, it's an extremely small bit that's burned off the end of their beaks. If you're a moral vegetarian, that's fine, but I'm not, I, being a human am an omnivore, and I'm at the top of the food chain.

other1 said:
Warning, long response from the offical CP vegetarian coming. Feel free to skip it if you aren't interested.
For a sociology class, we were able to toy with a database that featured demographic information about what people bought. You could then see a map color coded that depicted the likelihood of both products being in a certain geographical area. So you could cross things like-number of people who own trucks and subscribe to playboy. You would then get deeply colored areas like Wyoming or Montana. :D :p :0 Or you could get a virtually white map when you crossed smokeless tobacco use with Volvo ownership. :sign:

Would love to ID the areas that have veggan-cigar smokers. :) :D ;)

texasaggie said:
I know exactly how chickens are raised for consumption, I've worked on a chicken ranch with thousands of chickens, and I've raised cattle and been to slaughterhouses and feedlots.

You are in the vast majority. Like I said, I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone, just trying to shed some light. I think most people do not have (and do not want) much of a grasp on where their meat comes from.

other1 said:
You are in the vast majority. Like I said, I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone, just trying to shed some light. I think most people do not have (and do not want) much of a grasp on where their meat comes from.
Oh, I completely agree with you on the fact that alot of people don't want to know, my fiance doesn't like to eat meat on the bone, it makes her think that it was an animal. I think it's silly, but that's her. She doesn't seem to mind the deer steaks when I make them, or my great stuffed wild pork chops from some of that great South Texas hog. :)

texasaggie said:
She doesn't seem to mind the deer steaks when I make them,
I don't hunt or do anything like that, but I like deer hunters. They help the deer population from overbreeding and ending up on my frickin' windshield. :angry: :D

I actually have total respect for hunters. They are not turning a blind eye to how they get their meat. More power to them. I for one couldn't kill an animal, thats one of the reasons I don't eat them. I'm not saying its wrong.. It's just not for me at the present time.

Bradley, that was a damn funny story, especially coming from a damn Aggie...

ALostTexan
...A Texas Tech Red Raider fan, born and bred...

other1 said:
It's about animal cruelty and corporate greed.
amen.
and I'm proud to avoid being a contributor to either one of those problems when I can.
like other1, I don't make a habit of jumping on a soapbox to preach the ways of (and reasons behind) my diet at any given opportunity, but brutality of this magnitude, and especially for the sake of corporate gain, is something I love to oppose.
I just wish more carnivorous people would support more independent/organic farmers who actually give half a $hit about what goes into their livestock (same applies for dairy). the conditions in which animals to be eaten are kept, in addition to what they're fed or injected with, directly affects the health of the "top of the food chain".
and if "we are what we eat"... wait, that's makes me a vegetable! :p

I was a butcher for 6 years during college. I still love to throw a ribeye on the grill and enjoy it. It's all about extremes. PETA takes it too far.