• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Peterson pipe question

H. Vachon

King of the Hobo Hut
Hello all, I recently purchased a Peterson 150. It’s a beautiful pipe and it smokes well. While smoking some Irish Cask today, I saw a video of Peterson Pipes being made. They talked about stamping a number into the body and inserting the little ‘P’ in the bit. As I looked over my pipe I noticed it had neither of those things. The only etched inscription says “Dublin Edition” (photo below). I also noticed two small defects, which don’t bother me, but between those and the lack of stamped numbers and insert on the bit, I’m wonder if my B&M sold me a factory second while charging me full price for the pipe. Please lend me your thoughts, I could be reading into it too much, but I’d like to hear what you all have to say.

0845C2F6-5024-4DB4-BB4F-ACE518E4D7B4.jpegACC00429-6EE1-4DDA-A006-C2722CDE7306.jpeg9272E597-34AC-4D76-8C61-6B3FA3055683.jpegDE8FB69E-F0A1-464F-8A8E-F961D56752B5.jpeg

Interesting. I would definitely contact Peterson directly and get their input. Do you have the box the pipe came in? The "P" should appear as a white stylized p on the bit. I don't think it should be missing, as I believe it's their usual branding on all their pipes.

Interesting. I would definitely contact Peterson directly and get their input. Do you have the box the pipe came in? The "P" should appear as a white stylized p on the bit. I don't think it should be missing, as I believe it's their usual branding on all their pipes.
It came in a bag. Which is again why I had suspected maybe a factory defect or something. Didn’t come direct from Peterson. But I’m sure if I reach out they’ll know.

It's a beautiful pipe. Does it smoke to your liking? If so, you might just consider keeping it.

That being said, those blemishes are unlike anything I have seen. But Peterson should be able and willing to inform you and maybe do a bit of positive customer relations. ;)

It's a beautiful pipe. Does it smoke to your liking? If so, you might just consider keeping it. But Peterson should be able and willing to inform you and maybe do a bit of positive customer relations. ;)
Oh it smokes wonderfully and I have no interest in getting rid of it. It’s probably my favorite pipe of the few I have. Those minor defects have no negative impact on how I feel about the pipe or the manufacture. I’m more asking because my local B&M charged me full price and I have suspicions that it isn’t what they said it was. That shop tends to way overcharge for cigars as well compared to the other shop in town.

I have a problem with paying more for the same cigar. I do throw a few bucks to one of the better B&Ms here, though. They have some nice aged clearance cigars and are better than most other shops in my area on most prices.

So if they bilked you will you "Correct" them?

Yeah, I mean for example, they have Ashton ESGs for like $30 a stick where online they are like $18-$20.

As far as correcting the shop owner, I think I would just let it be and fully transition away from his shop to my other favorite shop. I doubt it would do anything but come across as disrespect which I try to avoid.

Yeah, I mean for example, they have Ashton ESGs for like $30 a stick where online they are like $18-$20.

As far as correcting the shop owner, I think I would just let it be and fully transition away from his shop to my other favorite shop. I doubt it would do anything but come across as disrespect which I try to avoid.

I think Peterson would want to know, that a shop is selling "seconds" as the real deal, if that's the case.

I think Peterson would want to know, that a shop is selling "seconds" as the real deal, if that's the case.
That’s true. Perhaps I’ll send Peterson an email with questions and pictures. Like I said, I personally don’t mind the defects, but someone with a serious collection might.

I'd definitely reach out to Peterson. I don't know much about pipes. If the owner is selling seconds at that price it is a bogus practice. I would also call that owner out if things turn out to be as you suspect, but that's just me.

Exactly. If they are in fact passing seconds off as brand new pipes I'm sure Peterson would want to know that and handle it as they see fit.

The Dublin Edition are imperfect and priced as such.

The Dublin Edition are imperfect and priced as such.

Thanks for finding that Scap. At this point I’m not thrilled about the $120 price point I paid seeing as the standard edition that passes QC is only $92-$98. I definitely do not think I’ll be returning to that shop.

Thanks for finding that Scap. At this point I’m not thrilled about the $120 price point I paid seeing as the standard edition that passes QC is only $92-$98. I definitely do not think I’ll be returning to that shop.

B&M isn't always a good deal. The ones here break it off in you too. $20/tin, when I can but it online for $11. The bulk price per ounce is worse.

It wouldn't hurt so bad if they were paying what we paid to the online merchants, but they are getting wholesale pricing. At that point, I feel no obligation to support the local shops, because they don't give a shit about us.

B&M isn't always a good deal. The ones here break it off in you too. $20/tin, when I can but it online for $11. The bulk price per ounce is worse.

It wouldn't hurt so bad if they were paying what we paid to the online merchants, but they are getting wholesale pricing. At that point, I feel no obligation to support the local shops, because they don't give a shit about us.
I feel ya. Now my other shop that I frequent I have no problem paying the mark up because I really enjoy hanging out with the owner and regulars. Atmosphere and people mean a lot to me.

But I certainly agree that B&M can be crazy expensive. Unless the shops gets it direct from the factory (which I doubt) every time the product is handled, there’s another mark up. By the time we get it, it’s probably marked up another 40% from the original profit mark up of the factory. Lol