• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Peterson Pipes

jmtaylo3

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in purchasing a Peterson Aron pipe # 87, that comes with the p lip or fish tail but know nothing about their system of directing the smoke to the roof of your mouth. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Some people love the P-Lip, others hate it. There aren't too many folks in between. I like the P-Lip on a bent pipe, but not a straight pipe like the 87. There's really no way to know if you'll like it until you try one. It is truly a different experience.

If you get the P-Lip and end up hating it, you can always order a replacement fishtail.

I don't mind the P-Lip, but with the Peterson System combined with a P-Lip stem, you have to draw a little harder, and combustion is not as easily controlled. Not as relaxing in my opinion.

Good idea! I didn't think you could replace the the p lip once you ordered the pipe. Does the p lip do a good job of eliminating tongue bite? Never owned a Peterson but love their designs.

Thank You,
John

Good idea! I didn't think you could replace the the p lip once you ordered the pipe. Does the p lip do a good job of eliminating tongue bite? Never owned a Peterson but love their designs.

Thank You,
John

Well, you have to order a separate stem. They aren't that easy to come by for the non system pipes, but they are available. It's a bit of a headache, but it is an alternative. I'd suggest going with the fishtail if you're not sure. Save the P-Lip experiment for a System pipe which has an easier to replace stem. They're military style bits (easier to match to the pipe) and they only cost about $15-$20.

You don't really get tongue bite since the smoke stream is directed to the roof of your mouth. You could theoretically get "roofbite", but the nature of the tapered drilling in the P-Lip generally keeps the danger to a minimum as the smoke stays very dry and cool.

I've never had any problems keeping my system pipes lit and my little 303 is one of my best smoking pipes. I'm a breath smoker, though, your experiences may differ.

Wow, sounds like an extreme amplification of what I do when I just leave the pipe in my mouth. No effort smoking.

I just received the Peterson Aran 87 with the P-lip through my tobacco store.
This pipe is really a great smoker...a real delight! The p-lip works fine. No more tongue bite.

I like P-lip on system, and fishtails on everything else.

I have had roof of mouth bite, when smoking a P-lip straight pipe, but it's rare.

I agree with earlier posters, if you want to experiment, buy a system with P-lip and if you don't like it it's easy enough to buy a fishtail stem for it.

I hate the p-lip. I don't understand the idea behind it. "Let's save the tongue by directing all the smoke to a different part of the mouth!" The best stems spread the smoke around. A fishtail does just that.

I like P-lip on system, and fishtails on everything else.

I have had roof of mouth bite, when smoking a P-lip straight pipe, but it's rare.

I agree with earlier posters, if you want to experiment, buy a system with P-lip and if you don't like it it's easy enough to buy a fishtail stem for it.

I didnt like the system pipe I had with a p-lip. Havent had a peterson since. Might be time to try one with a fishtail stem.