• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pheasant hunting

OpusXKC

MOΛΩN ΛABE
Made it out with my father and a friend today to do some bird hunting and had a good time. Only problem was that I "fouled up". We stoped for a second and a bird pop on us. It flew into the sun and I thought I saw a colored head and ring neck. BANG! Oops, guess not. I hit a hen instead :blush: . Kinda felt bad because we had to leave it.

Anyone else done any bird hunting lately? If so and better luck?

I had a successful grouse season this year. Best in years. We only get to hunt stocked pheasant here. I envy you if you get to hunt wild birds.

Doc

Normally hunt duck but with the bird flu they canceled season this year. I go deer hunting 2-4 times per week shot one this morning.

OpusXKC said:
Kinda felt bad because we had to leave it.

[snapback]254659[/snapback]​

Actually you didn't have to leave it..... you chose to leave it.

I'll be in a duck blind tomorrow. Had planned to go today but if you can believe it we got rained out. I know, I know, there's no such thing as a rained out duck hunt..... but something about the bolts of lightning that accompanied the rain swayed me to stay dry this morning. ;)

Well I could have taken it, but if the conservation agent walked by I could have said good-bye to my shotgun, car and get a nice fine. IMHO not worth it, but that is just the MO rules I guess :rolleyes: .

OpusXKC said:
Well I could have taken it, but if the conservation agent walked by I could have said good-bye to my shotgun, car and get a nice fine. IMHO not worth it, but that is just the MO rules I guess :rolleyes: .
[snapback]254745[/snapback]​

LOL, just a tad bit of overkill on what would have happened if caught by the CO. Now if you had a dozen hens I would expect the book would be thrown but not 1 hen. If not hidden and openly acknowledged you would receive a fine IF stopped by a CO. Your choice to leave a kill because of a mistake you made was based on not wanting to get a ticket which IMO is wrong.

Miss IDing game is unfortunately way too common and one should positively ID before pulling the trigger.... even if it means the game gets away. If you are prepared to kill it you should be prepared to pay the price for killing it instead of leaving it in the field. Sorry, my opinion.

I've made the mistake. This year I shot a hen Pintail (season opens late Dec) that I Id'd wrong (not the sun was in my eye's just plained miss ID) but it became part of my bag and I openly carried it on my strap and was prepared to take what came to me if a Game Warden checked. I just don't believe in leaving game.

It is threads like this that really make me miss home. I grew up in Stratford, Texas, the "Pheasant Capitol of Texas". Those were the best 2 weeks of the year growing up.

Man, do I miss those days...

ALostTexan

OpusXKC said:
Anyone else done any bird hunting lately? If so and better luck?
[snapback]254659[/snapback]​

Naw, just some of us from work trying to get a couple of other guys to come out snipe hunting with us. :D

They just stock birds here in NJ. But been having a great time hunting with my Dad. Also been having a lot of Pheasant in the smoker. :thumbs:

Anybody ever try hunting pheasant with a bow? I saw it on ESPN the other day...5 guys/bows, 2 dogs, and it took them almost 3 hours to hit a bird. Seemed like a great way to kill....time. Anyway, I'm not much of a hunter, but I'll be in the river "hunting" that massive trout again this spring :).

bunyfreak said:
Anybody ever try hunting pheasant with a bow? I saw it on ESPN the other day...5 guys/bows, 2 dogs, and it took them almost 3 hours to hit a bird. Seemed like a great way to kill....time. Anyway, I'm not much of a hunter, but I'll be in the river "hunting" that massive trout again this spring :).
[snapback]255515[/snapback]​

Its hard enough to hit those dang things with a shotgun...let alone a wooden stick and a bow! :laugh:

I remember seeing a show like that once...lost interest after the first dozen misses...did they ever get one?

*EDIT* Nevermind...i see you stated that they did...only took 3!! hours! :laugh:

Those are easy methods try shooting them in flight with a .22 now thats challenging.Ground shooting birds other than turkey is unethical and person should lose thier lic. Being a game warden myself Opus made the right choice however most game officers would excuse one bird with a warning.

Only hunting I have ever done was pheasant hunting a couple seasons with a cousin in Minn. It really was great times. And some of the best meals I ever had.

Good thoughts on the left game.

My brother bagged a brown bear in Ak a couple years ago and a day or two later realized he had taken it under wrong circumstances. The days and areas are a little complicated but it is fully the hunters responsibility for the lead that comes out of his gun. He turned himself in and paid a hefty fine and lost the right to hunt bear for a couple seasons I think. And the pelt. I think the fine was 1200.00----the amount the state figures it gets from a hunter flying up and bagging one. Of course if they had caught him it would be a shitstorm of trouble. But I don't think there was much chance of that.

Diesel Grinch said:
I saw a guy doing this. He would shoot at the ones on the ground.
[snapback]255606[/snapback]​

I watched a video a long time ago with Fred Bear hunting pheasant with a bow. As I recall, he hit them almost every time. Of course, that was Fred Bear. Not many archers rise to his level of instinctive shooting.

I don't think I could do the bow thing. It is hard enough to just find them around here without a dog. If I had to hope I hit them with a bow when I finally find a bird, I would just stay at home and smoke a cigar :) . Side by side 20 is good enough for me :cool:

Back