• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Picked up a few cigars

Sweetrice80

Deaf Mofo
Hello all,
Yesterday after work, I went to Bethesda Tobacco to pick up a few cigars. Its not as if I needed any cigars since I have a bunch at home, but I have not been to a cigar shop in ages, I dont know about some of you but something about a good cigar lounge/shop, that made me want to stop by. Anyhow, I went picked up some LFD DL660, Illusione MJ12, and a cigar I have never heard of Carillo core line [font="Arial][size="2"]Golosos.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial] [/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Paul the owner of the shop had this cigar high on his list of "go to cigars". So I thought I give it a shot. However, I like to have an idea of what to expect going into this cigar. I am one of those people that before smoking a cigar, I take a look at the reviews as well as come on CigarPass and look at any reviews that were conducted on the cigar. After doing a search I didn't find anything reviews on this cigar. Only finding a couple post selling or asking for the smoke.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial] [/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]So if you had this cigar line before, if you could help a brother out and let me know what to expect.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]
David [/size][/font]

I just went through the whole EP Carillo line and enjoyed them a great deal. I found the core line tended to be a bit more straight forward, toasty tobacco. Not a lot of bells and whistles but smooth, a bit leathery, and a very enjoyable smoke in general. I'd put them in the lighter medium bodied range, but full flavor. They are now on my goto list as well.

I just went through the whole EP Carillo line and enjoyed them a great deal. I found the core line tended to be a bit more straight forward, toasty tobacco. Not a lot of bells and whistles but smooth, a bit leathery, and a very enjoyable smoke in general. I'd put them in the lighter medium bodied range, but full flavor. They are now on my goto list as well.

Thanks for the info Nate, from the looks of it, this line is pretty new, started in 2009. I think I may smoke this one tonight and hold off on the other cigars since I am curious about this one. Hopefully it will be just as enjoyable as you stated.

I think the story is that Ernesto broke away from General Cigar or Altadis or whoever makes the La Gloria Cubana that he blended. These are his shot at a boutique line and I think he came out of the gate strong. There wasn't one I didn't like. If you dig on the regular line try the Short Runs (any year) and the Elencos Series. They are a bit pricier but worth picking up one or two.

One of the vendors here generously gifted me a few of the EP's to try when I made a purchase.

Wasn't my thing at all. Tasted like the tobacco was not quality. Maybe I need to revisit. Could have been a dud.

I had the Carillo last night, quite a mild tobaccoy/woody type of cigar, it also burned really well, no need for touch ups and relights. I enjoyed the first 2 thirds of the cigar. The last third was very bitter in my opinion. I do not think you will see boxes of the core line in my humidor, but you may see 3 or 4 in my humidor to see if age can smooth out the bitter taste that I was experiencing on the last part of the cigar. Overall I give it a B-. I think that is possibly because I am spoil, my favorite parts of the cigar always seems to be at the end, where I am thinking I don't this cigar to end.

Side note to Josh and TBaGZ, no it was not as good as an SRT-8. THANKS
thumbs-up.gif

David