• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Picture of the Lunar Eclipse

BobbyRitz

You're Fired, Daddy.
I managed a fairly decent picture just 3 minutes in advance of full lunar eclipse. Maximize for best view:

IMG_6268.jpg

GREAT GREAT GREAT pic! I took my wife out and had a stogie while we looked for it, but it's pretty cloudy over here in So-Cal...so thank you for the picture!

Just a few clouds over here in Whittier tonight. Been sitting outside watching it and smoking a DP Black 1952. Nice combo!! :thumbs:

And why is it red?
The moon doesn't go black because indirect sunlight still reaches it after passing through the Earth's atmosphere. Since the atmosphere filters out blue light, the indirect light that reaches the moon transforms it into a reddish or orange tinge, depending on how much dust and cloud cover are in the atmosphere at the time.

It was very cool.

I've watched it a few times and a couple with photo's....nice shot!

Note to self...no window panes when watching a lunar eclipse. :whistling:

We woke up at 4:45 AM to see it, I wonder if it looks any different from the Southern sky? ???

Brian

Nice pic. We got to see some partical red through the clouds every 10 minutes in the freezing cold.

Its nice to see what it fully looks like :thumbs:

And why is it red?

Per Wikipedia:

The red coloring arises because sunlight reaching the Moon must pass through a long and dense layer of the Earth's atmosphere, where it is scattered. Shorter wavelengths are more likely to be scattered by the small particles, and so by the time the light has passed through the atmosphere, the longer wavelengths dominate. This resulting light we perceive as red. This is the same effect that causes sunsets and sunrises to turn the sky a reddish color.

The wife and I watched it for a little while as well....got some shots too. Pretty cool to see the coloration and the changes, it was 22 degrees, so we stayed out for about 30min. This will happen again in 2010 as well.

Nice pic, Rob. We had good view of it here in Tucson and the eclips really highlights the incredible the amount of light the moon refracts. About an hour after the total eclipse, you could sit outside and read a newspaper. I love full moons.

We woke up at 4:45 AM to see it, I wonder if it looks any different from the Southern sky? ???

Brian

Was it upside down?

Nice pic, Rob. Hope you don't mind if I add a couple of my own to the thread. The clouds here parted just in time for these shots.

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

I was at the firehouse last night looking for it, but it was too cloudy to see anything. Glad that ya'll posted some really nice pics of it!

-fhs

Nice Photo's, Gent's! :)

What kind of Camera or Telescope did You use?

We at So Cal got hosed.....literally......it rained. :whistling:

Still great photo's. :thumbs:

slack :cool:

Glad some one took a shot of that eclipse last night.

Stood out side for a bit, till my breath started to freeze.

Way to much light in the city for me too get a good one.

That is one good thing about Iraq....they have the most beautiful night sky that I've ever seen. The lunar eclipse here was huge and amazing. It almost looked like the moon from Joe Versus the Volcano.