• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Enjoyment in Solitude.

LedZep

Good Evening Brothers,

Well, I really have been enjoying my pipe in my times of solitude.
I have found pipe smoking while I am "alone" to be slightly more enjoyable then a puffing a cigar by myself.
This has come to quite a shock to me, as I was routinely smoking 1 or 2 nice cigars a day.
After some reading, a few purchases, and some experimenting, It seems that this is going to be my goto smoking pleasure , especially when It is cold outside.

I did recently install my overpowered exhaust fan in my cave downstairs, and it does a terrfic job of pulling every molecule of smoke from the air during a smoke session..
But my wife has allowed me to fire a bowl up - upstairs , and even complimented the "room note ' of some blends I am smoking.

I am still regularly enjoying cigars when I am out wih my buddies..
But the whole tobac prep, packing, lighting and burning of a pipe has a unique and soothing pleasure I have come to truely enjoy.
The entire mechanics and ritual of pipe smoking is very calming... vs. a snip and light of a stogie.

Sometimes I need to calm down and really unwind without looking at the time or my watch. ( Like most of us) .. and the pipes seem to have done this for me.

I do have several pipes..
a few high quality cobs, Straight, curved, gentlemens etc.
a Calabresi, ( heavy bowl)
A Savinelli, ( Light bowl , balsa system)
a Basic golfball textured fullsize block meer,
and a few Meer lined Briars.. ( Dr. G's)

I have slipped way down the slope as far a tin purchases... About 20+ different tins so far and a few kakes / blends that were well reviewed and available.
( IE: Anniversary Kake from H&H) Very good stuff IMO>

Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments , I will try to post some reviews of what tobac I am smoking here in the Piperoom ( If you guys do that , like the cigar gang does..)
Here are some close-ups I have taken of some stuff I have on hand and a pic of some "Hal-O-The Wynd" in My Sav I plan to do a review on.

AsstTobac2.jpg

AsstTobac1.jpg

HalOandSav.jpg

Have a good evening fellas, and more to follow..

Vin

Good post! Nice looking pipes too! I feel the same about pipe smoking. It's a time for relaxation and reflection over the days events for me. I live on a lake and one of my favorite places to smoke is on the dock overlooking the water. It's my "Xanax" LOL!

Very well said LedZep. I too find relaxation in a pipe. Cigars are also relaxing but they are better enjoyed with friends for some reason. The hobby is indeed a slippery slope but once you have puchased a decent rotation of pipes, I find the premium pipe tobaccos much more reasonable than premium cigars. Cheers

I most certainly agree. I like nothing more than the calming and slow learnt methods of packing and smoking your pipe. It is a very personal thing, and I am really hooked.

I had some cigars left for mates, but they are gone now and I don't think I am going to keep any new ones at home any more. Pipes are what do it for me.

I just had my first pipe about an hour ago. :thumbs: This was truly an enjoyable experience. Even though it was a corncob and Captain Black. Can not wait to get a real pipe and different blends of tobacco.

I've been getting acquainted with pipes for a month or two, now. I do enjoy it quite a bit.

I've smoked cigars for well over 20 yrs, and I don't know if pipes will ever take their

place. But, I will say that I like the consistency. I know that the flavor I'm after will

be there when I light up. In addition, Being a person who loves ritual and regimen, it fits

my personality wonderfully.

I just had my first pipe about an hour ago. :thumbs: This was truly an enjoyable experience. Even though it was a corncob and Captain Black. Can not wait to get a real pipe and different blends of tobacco.

Don't discount the cobs. They are just as "real" as any other pipe and can smoke better than a pipe with beautiful straight grain briar and a price tag in the thousands. They may not be as pretty, but they work pretty damn well most of the time. They work especially well for sampling new blends, so you may want to keep one or two around while you're exploring new tobaccos.

I tend to abuse cobs since they are so cheap. The poor bastards get smoked so often they swell up and crack rather quickly.

Don't discount the cobs. They are just as "real" as any other pipe and can smoke better than a pipe with beautiful straight grain briar and a price tag in the thousands. They may not be as pretty, but they work pretty damn well most of the time. They work especially well for sampling new blends, so you may want to keep one or two around while you're exploring new tobaccos.

Yeah, I should re-phrase and say " A nicer looking pipe " the CC does seem to work OK. I pulled the filter before I used it. Can not wait to try some Maltese Falcon :)

Had some Esoterica - Stonehaven in one of my cobs just a little while ago..
What a delicious smoke. :)

Some pipe tobacs do have some characteristics of cigar tobacs.. I find some simliarities in blends that contain a fair amount of latkia .. ( Not Stonehaven.. But C&D Mississippi Mud.. definitely )
Dunno, if its just my brain asking for a nice maduro wrapped stick or what.. LOL

Vin

I agree. Even though I just started, I rather do enjoy sitting down, packing the bowl, and lighting it up while relaxing. It's a nice change of pace.

Also, what kind of pipe is that, the one in the first/second images? Looks really nice!