• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Filters - Do you need them?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Do you need pipe filters? What exactly do they do?

Pipe filters are used extensively in Europe, but not particularly in the USA.

The idea is that it blocks some of the tars, etc. and makes cleanup easier. For my money, it make the pipe harder to draw. I have used them only a couple of times early in my pipe experience, but haven't used them in years and don't plan to. It is just another thing to fiddle with when smoking your pipe.

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !
STEVE

Thanks Steve. I wasn't sure if I had to use them or not. In that case, I won't. :)

Rod told me he got one of these:

mininatural.jpg

Well. . .that is er, ummm. . . .Nice I guess. . . . :whistling:

:D

I don't use them. I know a lot of people use them to help control moisture, but if you have a well made pipe, moisture isn't usually a problem unless you're smoking a partucularly moist tobacco.

Eric

In defense of corncob pipes....

They are good smokes : cool and dry. They are cheap, so if you drop one and
run over it with the lawn mower, who cares ? :laugh:

I keep a couple at home to try different tobaccos. I normally smoke the so-called
"English" blends and if I want to try a new aromatic tobacco, there's no way I'm
going to stuff it into my favorite Ascorti or a sixty year old Barling. It would take
weeks to get the flavor out ! :(

Corncobs have their place on everyone's pipe rack, they just look goofy! :D

Your right! The corn cob pipe is a good pipe for knocking around the yard, keeping in the tool box or tackle box, or leaving in the glove box.

It really is a good pipe for knocking around, and if you lose it, you don't feel like you have lost something that was a major investment.

It would not be the first pipe I would reach for, but it is a good one to use if you are in a situation where the pipe might get more than normal "wear and tear".

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

I think the photo was not just of a corncob, but of a 3-inch Missouri meerschaum miniature, manufactured in Washington, Missouri. I'm on my third just now. The only trouble is, once the cob has done with its absorbency, it'll burn out. But at £2 a go, it's a cheap bit of fun!

As to pipe filters - nah. They do make it tough to draw, they're a pig to clean, they can eventually clog your pipe altogether, and they set off the alarms in airports. Chuck 'em.

would this be considering thread jacking?

I use filters, but only because all the pipes I've ever owned use them. By that I mean all two of the Dr. Grabow Savoys came with and were designed for filters. I tried going commando, without the filter, and did not like the taste as much, and since I couldn't just run a cleaner through the stem to the bowl, (due to the filter space,) I just caved and started using filters.

Now, I clean my pipes once a week, and they get a new filter twice daily. It really smooths out the smoke for me, and keeps me from having bits of ash come up on my teeth. Also, I see what they trap after a few bowls, and would rather have it on some paper tube than in my mouth.

-Just my $.02...

I have a few Winslow's that take a 9 mm filter.I never use a filter even though it would fit in the pipe. They are very popular in Germany and some of the Scandanavian countries.