• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Filters - Do you need them?

I just bought a Dr. Grabow that was designed for a filter, and I havent had any problems smoking it without one. I will use a filter every once in a while depending on what tabacco I am using. It seems more a matter of taste so to speak.

I like the 9mm pipe filter. The smoke is cooler and the clean up is easy. Nevertheless, I'm from Europe and grew up with filter systems.

Only pipes I would even think about using a filter with is the straight ones. Not fun sucking up a bunch of crap from the pipe. Thats what inspired me to buy the bent pipes from Peterson. :D

I love my 9mm filters! Cools the smoke and enhances the taste.

However, I'm European by nature :blush:

My Savinelli was made for a filter. I think it smokes better with one in. I wonder if the filter helps regulate the draw when there's a big tenon hole. It is called a tenon hole right? ???

as a British pipe smoker I wouldn't say that filters are extensively used here....rather that cigarette smokers who also smoke a pipe tend to use them

personally i hate em....also think those little widgets that new pipes come with in the end of the stem to stop hot gledes rising are a waste of time too!

I have found that I like filters with aromatics. They cool the smoke and keep the crud away from my lips.

I find no need for filters. It's just one more thing to mess with for me.

I use Meerschaum granules in my pipe. I drop in 2 to 3 directly over the air hole in the bowl before filling and tamping. It has always worked well for me.

Never have used filters at all in my pipes.

I started using the "stones" in my short stem (1 1/2 inches) pocket pipe I smoked when working on a German road construction crew to prevent hot particles going into my mouth. And I liked how they worked and started using them in all my other pipes as well. But since I stopped working construction I started smoking cigars almost exclusively. I haven't lit up one of my pipes in a few years, but this forum has me interested in buying some new tobacco and starting up again.

I had a filtered pipe before, didn't take me long to remove the filter. Who knows maybe I'll try them out again someday, but I don't see that day coming any time soon.