• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pipe Smoke vs. Cigar Smoke

MoeCizlak

Built for comfort
Vortex posted about a conversation he had that pipe smoke is more appealing than cigar smoke. I didn't want to clutter up the "What's in Your Pipe" section, so I thought I'd start another thread. I happen to love the smell of both but my wife does not share the same view. She can detect a cigar on me hours after smoking it and after I've brushed my teeth, however she cannot tell the when I've had a bowl in one of my pipes. Cigar smoke also seems to stick to clothing and my skin like glue and pipe smoke doesn't to the same degree. Is there a scientific explanation for this that anyone knows about?

Good question. I've wondered the same thing. However, I sometimes think my wifes objections are partially psychological. I sometimes think she makes a bigger "stink" about the stink if she knows I just had a cigar.

Would it be the types of tobacco used for pipe tobacco vs cigar tobacco? I didn't think there was all that much difference.

i'm curious what the experts know/think.

Interesting question, indeed. Curious to see if there's any "scientific" backing for it. :)

Same for me; the wife says pipe tobacco smoke keeps the home a lot more friendly...

No science here, but I smoke both pipes and cigars and the cigar smell definitely sticks with me longer than pipe tobacco.

The amount is probably a contributing factor. More tar and stuff from the cigar.

if equal draws are taken, there may be no difference.

The science is, your wife obviously prefers pipes to cigars. Therefore she tells you what you need to hear. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just the time that your are smoking a cigar vs. a pipe. I tend to stay away from cigars that burn for less then an hour because I have a pipe that will last for a good 15-20 minutes. 1 hour of smoke vs 15 minutes.

Plus if your smoking an aromatic, people tend to like it a little more. I always get compliments on a Choco-moco blend that I bought from a B&M

Spelling

This is one of the reasons I tried a pipe. All the cigars scent stuck around my media room for almost 5 days. Stale!

With a Pipe most of the smell/flavor is gone by the next day.

Plus, I enjoy pipes, and should have tried pipes long ago...

I don't think exposure time is the key. I smoke in my car during long driving periods and a bowl lasts 45min to 1hr. If I smoke a Party Short or similiar vitola, the time smoking is the same but the cigar smoke gets into and sticks to everything. The pipe does not. I don't smoke a whole lot of aromatics, so her inability to detect it on me is puzzling. I wonder if I did smoke more aromatics, whether she would be able to detect the flavoring on me rather than the pure tobacco of a non-aromatic. Hmm, experiment is in order.

As far as the wife is concerned, I tend to agree with PhatCat in that it is physcological. My wife isn't a big fan of my cigar hobby and uses the smell as her chief complaint, even though it wasn't a factor back when she used to buy me samplers for Christmas every year. Funny how that changed when I started buying them for myself. Doc replied to a thread awhile back about why most women don't like cigars and I wholeheartedly agree with his assessment.

Gary, when you say amount is contributing factor, do you mean amount of tobacco consumed in one smoking?

I'll say this, the sheer volume of smoke produced from even a petit corona is quite a bit more than a normal bowl in my pipe. Maybe this has something to do with it?

pipe backy is a lot more home friendly... my guess is that it has something to do with the amount of oils in cigar tobacco... cigars are usually stored at 65-70% RH versus 15-20% RH for pipe tobacco and maintain a lot of oils... if you notice, the smoke stream off the end of a cigar is noticeably blue, not so for the pipe tobacs I smoke. I would say the volume of smoke generated is also a contributing factor. In the end, it's probably a combination of numerous things... just my best guess.

After smoking pipes a lot more recently, I find a lot of the good cigars I was happily smoking before ,very one dimensional.