• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Playa Del Carmen...

mhortsch

Where am I?
About to book it for my honeymoon...

Considering Gala Playacar or The Moon Palace

Anyone have any experience at these 2 resorts, or any other for that matter?

I have found lots of great info here.

Some of the negative reviews that resorts get are simply people who ask for too much, or simply won't ever be happy no matter where they go. And they have forums for questions about other folks experiences etc.

i just got back from the gran flamenco at xcaret by occidental. its about 10 miles south of playa. it was great. very relaxing. all inclusive. if i had to do it again, i'd have stay somewhere IN playa, or gone to cosumel, though. not enough to do. but i'm young. i'm not satified with just sitting on the beautiful beach all day drinking all i can drink. i like going out and doing stuff.

I've been to Playa Del Carmen, Cancun and Cozumel, several times. Since it's your honeymoon, it might not be an issue, but you never know, so I'll ask - is it an issue for you guys whether children are allowed or not? Some resorts there are adults only - not in a Jamaica Hedonism sort of way, but just don't allow children (and, also, bear in mind, "kids" can mean those under 13, though at most it's 18 and under).

If you're of the mindset that you don't want little tykes running around, some incredible (all-inclusive) resorts are:

1. Occidental's Royal Hideaway Playacar (a fantastic spot)
2. Paradisus Riveria (closer to Cancun)
3. Secrets Capri (there's also Secrets Excellence, but SE is in Cancun...these are good honeymoon spots)
4. El Dorado Royale

All in all, the whole Yucatan area is gorgeous and you cannot go wrong really. Fantastic diving as well, golfing too. The all inclusive resorts are definitely the way to go IMHO, especially if you want to the no-worries approach of relaxation on your honeymoon.

Congrats by the way. :) :thumbs:

Edited to add -

The Gala you mentioned is excellent too.

I was pretty set on Xcaret until I realised there is no beach there! And your post confirms it's in my best interest to not book that place. Although we thuroughly enjoy sitting on the beach (which there isn't one...having stuff to do at our will is very very important!!!

I have my agent looking into Secrets Capri and the Riu Palace., as well as Barcelo. Im thinking spending a little more might be worth it!

An kids really dont matter! At least I don't think.

I've spent the whole week on Tripadvisor! I can't make up my damn mind :)

I must re-emphasize, the negative reviews on tripadvisor must be both taken with a grain of salt, as well as weighed against the good reviews. Some of those people just won't be happy anywhere! I can credit tripadvisor with a great time had by my wife and I in Jamaica as well as San Francisco. Well, WE were the ones that made it great, tripadvisor helped to find places that would be most suitable for us.

Agreed

I should know after being in Jamaica and the Dominican the last 2 years that it's what you make it.

But picking from a list of 5-6 resorts is like picking a stoge out of the humi...hard.

I've never stayed there. I think it's in Puerto Aventuras. Actually, I have a friend who repeatedly goes to it, so I know it's at least decent to nice. It's one of the all-inclusives as well if I recall, but it's also one of the larger ones so you might get a TON of people. It's all about what you're really after. If you want quiet, more seclusive type of venues, this is not one I'd go for. For instance, Secrets Capri is somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-300 rooms. I think this place is TWICE the size of that. So, it's going to be far more hustling/bustling, which also translates to wait times for various amenities.

When I was there we stayed at the Porto Real. The place was great. The worst thing about the place was that the Buffet got kind of old but you could order a la carte if you wanted. The thing I liked most about this place is that it was right at the end on 5th ave. so there were plenty of things to do at night and the ferry to Cozumel was just a short 10 min. walk.