• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Please don't shoot!

Teaser

So, I'm back after I think 3 years? My profile picture was my new born daughter. Now she's 3 1/2. So, it's been awhile since I joined.

Anyway, I have had the good fortune of having a box of Montecristo #2s fall into my lap. As far as I can tell, they look good, everything seems to be in order. The look as crappy as I thought they would, no standardization, all slightly off sized etc etc. But all labels are where they should be. Nice cedar sheet between the two levels of cigars. Little white transparent habanos sheet inside the box. LLN with ENE 10 below it. The ENE 10 is January 2010 if I did my research right. Can't figure out what the LLN is yet. They smell delicious, and I have yet to burn any of them yet.

One thing I was very suprised at was that the box top is held down by a small nail? Never seen that with any NC make. And I have never seen anyone mention that.

Anyway, I have been looking at the whole box code thing, and much of my research points to the fact that lots of boxes still don't come back as authentic even if they are known to be real. So, is there something that I may be doing that is obviously wrong when I enter the code? I'd leave the Bar code number here but I think I might get in trouble for that.

Also, what the heck happened to the podcast forum? Of course, I got way to busy to spend time listening to podcasts, so maybe that's what happened to it...

Anyway, good to see you all still here.

And please, don't shoot me FOGs. I think I broke no rules with this post, besides the fact I haven't posted in years.

Welcome back!

A pic would help.

LLN is a known code for the Upmann Factory....and some 03 and 04 boxes of Monte's have had it - dunno about more recent stock.

Older box codes can be suspicious.

And they shouldn't look toooooo crap, especially more recent ones, since quality control has gotten better in recent years. They're supposed to match the sticks for color when they fill the box (as in, they should all be around the same shade of wrapper leaf) and they should all definitely be the same size, since they are rolled, cut, and put into molds for standardized shaping. Were all the bands lined up with each other and did they all snugly fit in the box?

Yeah, Cuba is wonky sometimes. One or maybe even two things wrong isn't always indicative of fakes...but a whole lotta things being wrong isn't a good sign. Definitely post some pics if you have the time.

And even if they are fugazi...try 'em anyway. Sometimes the fakes are actually made with Cuban tobacco by professional rollers looking to "supplement their income" and aren't too bad. Other times, they are just rebanded cheap NC's. And yet other times, they're rolled out of lawn clippings and dog hair by an ape with four thumbs. Hell, one time, I had a fake Monte that tasted and was constructed better than the real thing! :laugh:

Oh, and the little brass nail holding the lid on....nothing to worry about, that's how every dress box of Havanas is sealed.

Forgot to add..........Montecristo and Cohiba are probably the most counterfeited cigars out there, with Partagas being a distant third. Sorry, that also doesn't help the forecast for their being authentic. :(

Need pics and more info! :)

Also, you said they look good and the next sentence they look bad? Also was the "NC make" a typo? As stated "every dress box is held closed with a nail".