• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Please help me pick a car for work!

Recidivist

So I'm up for a new car at work. My boss leases cars off for all the field agents. He doesn't care want kind of car/ truck it is as long as it meets the price constraints and is not totally impractical. However, this is my personal vehicle as well and can use it at will anytime/ anywhere for any reason. Gas, insurance and repairs are all covered by the company.

The requirements are as follows:

1) It has to be new and the lease cannot cost more then $425 month.

2) The terms of the lease must be 36 months, 15,000 miles yearly and no money down except for taxes and first month payment.

3) The vehicle will be used in New York's 5 boroughs and therefore must be reasonably sized and be able to blend in less upstanding neighborhoods. It will also be used for long distance assignments in CT, NJ and PA.

4) Automatic is a must. I hate autos but clutching through mid-town on a summer friday afternoon is my own personal version of hell.
Gas economy is not that much of a concern (to me anyway) so don't let a V8 void a possible candidate.

That's it on constrictions. I basically have carte blanche and being a "car guy" the options are too numerous to decipher alone.

So far I'm leaning toward a two door Jeep Wrangler Sahara with a hardtop only in dark green. Small for parking, tough, four wheel drive for New York winters, fun in the summer, it should be able to blend in as there isn't an aspirational emblem in the grill. A lot of business in NYC are now registering Wranglers commercial to take advantage of the commercial parking only on city streets during business hours. Dealer is quoting $385 monthly.

I thought about a Pontiac G8 with the 6 liter. I figure that's a pretty left field pick and we should be able to steal it since they don't sell for shit with gas prices as they are. Thought about a 350Z, but I think that may be a car jacking in the making for certain neighborhoods. Maybe a turbo Volvo hatchback? Don't care for the Mini Cooper... I'm not that secure in my masculinity. Hybrids need not apply.

Any ideas or personal experiences you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. I'm really at a loss for a clear decision at the moment.

Maybe the new Chevy Malibu, pretty subtle but not bad. I'm an Audi fanatic but I think that would be a little much for what you are looking for....I'l try and think of more.

I like my Ford Fusion with the 4cyl. 25mpg city, 30 highway. It should meet all your needs easily with the V6.

X2! :thumbs:

You can get a V6 Mustang, still have plenty of power and get pretty decent mileage. I average 22 mpg highway, 18 city.

I do have the 5 speed though.

Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited if you want a sedan, or if a wagon is more to your liking, a Forester 2.5XT or Outback 2.5XT will both keep you under the radar, they're available in automatic, there's AWD for the winters, and they'll each beat the pants off the TL-S. Mileage is what you make of it--in our '07 2.5GT wagon, I get 14-18 MPG whereas my wife gets 24-26...

If you're in NYC...go for the Smart Car.

Small enough to park in motorcycle parking spots.
Ugly as shit, no one will want to steal it.
Decent gas mileage.
It's a company car so you shouldn't care.

Good luck.

Well I don't know about where you are but GM is no longer leasing vehicles here. I think a few of the manufacturers did away with leasing because they lost too much money on them.

G8 GT is rated 1 less mpg on highway and 2 less in city than the V6 version. Get the v8 and have some fun.

THe best city car in the world that happens to be a blast to drive out of the city as well is a mini cooper S and for $425/month you could have all the options and niceties you could ever want. If I am not mistaken they have and AWD version as well. Drives like a go-cart and you would be surprised how comfortable and roomy they are inside.

I think about half the cars I've seen recommended here are not going to be leasable for $425. Furthermore, Chrysler was one of several manufacturers that have ditched their leasing programs, or priced them in such a way that nobody would want to lease.

If I were you in that situation, I'd lease a 2009 VW GTI w/ the DSG automatic. 2009 VW's have free maintenance for 3 years, and if you're leasing for 3 years - no maintenance costs ever. They're fun cars to drive.

If I were you in that situation, I'd lease a 2009 VW GTI w/ the DSG automatic. 2009 VW's have free maintenance for 3 years, and if you're leasing for 3 years - no maintenance costs ever. They're fun cars to drive.

Or the Jetta diesels if you are wanting something a little bigger. Also I do agree with the Chevy Malibus. My mother has an 06 impala LTZ, and that thing is SWEET.

Either a Maxima or an Accord will give you much better fit and finish, then the others mentioned. Have you looked at the Subaru WRX? Are you concerned about winters at all? Mustang is rear wheel drive and will be a little more difficult to steer around in the white stuff.

Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited if you want a sedan, or if a wagon is more to your liking, a Forester 2.5XT or Outback 2.5XT will both keep you under the radar, they're available in automatic, there's AWD for the winters, and they'll each beat the pants off the TL-S. Mileage is what you make of it--in our '07 2.5GT wagon, I get 14-18 MPG whereas my wife gets 24-26...

x2 for the legacy...great cars...good on gas, great in the snow and very nice on the inside. i just got one and love it but i am not really into cars.

i saw someone also post that mini has an AWD....i hope that isnt true b/c i would have loved to get one.

You might consider the Kia Spectra SX. Front and side curtain air bags. Very dependable so far and great MPG (25 city and 34 hwy). Not too pricey either.

Acura tl type s nice car and a beast under the hood. classy and sporty.

That's my second choice. Acura TL Type-S.

My second choice is the Acura TL

First choice is the Infiniti G35x - do the all wheel drive. Sporty, roomy, and should be able to lease near $425 - added bonus - you'll like AWD during NY winters

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I thought about a Subaru for sure. I had an 04 STi that I worked up to cut mid 11s at the strip. My bro and I had messed with Subies for years and I'm looking to try something else, but they are damn fine cars.

Someone mentioned the Smart car. There are bucket loads of those little things running around the city and the island. Every time I see one on the highway the driver always seems to be fighting to keep up with the flow of traffic. With 60 odd hp you have to plan your passes before you leave the house! Too small and actually too inexpensive in this case, save for the the cabrio.

I think you guys are right that the domestics are not leasing directly anymore. I know that Chrysler is not. The Jeep dealer told me that banks are holding the leases, effectively purchasing the cars while you carry out your long term rental and then they sell them at auction. Dealer told me that a mid level Sahara Wrangler will cost me $6 LESS per month then a lower level "X" model because the bank anticipates a stronger resale on the Sahara in 36 months time.

A few of you guys mentioned the TL/ TL Type-S. I love the car, but I think the lease is going to be a bit high. Besides, the current model, which I love, is on run out as the piss ugly new model is rolling it complete with the new Acura "family" nose treatment.

Keep um coming guys. I love all the ideas.