• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Please tell me what to try next!

dlomonosov

Banned
I have been buying cigars lately to try as many as I can and have a go to cigar in the following categories: $2-4 ; $5-7 ; $8-10 ; $10-14 ; $14+

Based on what I liked so far, what would be good ones to try next for my current palate. I am tired of wasting money bast on reviews on CA and some reviews I read in general. I guess if someone on here has similar palate to mine and likes the following cigars I loved, maybe can suggest a few sticks to me. Otherwise it is pretty expensive just to try everything on the list I have. Here is what I loved and did not like, or hated. I am not going to go into if I tasted hints of coffee or chocolate stick like taste. Cigars were either bitter and I hated them, or mmmmttttssaaa, tasty and I loved them.

Loved:
Rocky Patel 1990 Robusto- tasty, toasty
Casa Magna Colorado Carona- tasty
Oliva V torpedo - tasty

Were OK:
Hoyo 1066 Excalibur Dark Knight 2 - smooth, but not enough taste compared to above
H.Upmann Vintage Cameron Carona - smooth, not enough taste, the only cigar that I had that after smoking it I did not have cigar taste in my mouth in a few hours

Hated or disliked:
Bolivar Cuban Carona Extra 1999 - tasted like bitter tobaco, maybe it was just dry, was sent to me by mail and might not stored right, the wrapper was dry, I should have let it rest in the humi for a few weeks to revive it
Ramon Allones Special Selected 2008 Cuban - also same as above, was dry, but tasted better then Bolivar, needed to sit in the humi, but will try to get on again that was not dry and properly stored. I will let the rest of Cubans I got in same batch rest for now.
R&J Anniversario Robusto- bitter and tasted only tobaco
R&J Reserva Real- same as the other R&J
Montecristo White Label tube - same as above R&J
Punch Rare Corojo and reg. rothschild - a bit bitter and taste I did not like, will try Punch Punch and Champion next
Hoyo Excalibur Maduro- a bit bitter without much taste, will try natural next
OpusX perfection 4 I think, it was small 44 gage- firecracker that kicked my ass, lots of flavor but too strong, will try longer size and bigger gage next
Padron 400 nat. - I think, loose draw a bit bitter on the tongue, not bad, but I will take rocky 1990 over it for $5-$6, will try 2000 next
Oliva G nat - weird grassy taste, smelled and tasted like weed/bud, you got the point, want to try Maduro, for $3-4 would be a great buy if Maduros are good

Here is what I really want to try next: Padron 26 and 64 naturals, VSG, AF SG and Hemis. Any suggestions guys?

If you enjoyed the Oliva V, give the DPG Blues a shot: it has a nice little peppery spice

If an opie #4 kicked your but, you don't want my suggestions.

Thanks for being one of the few to ask this question while providing the info to guide recommendations.

Revisit the Padron X000 line in maduro. Always (except Acids) allow yourself 2-5 of any cigar before blaming the blend instead of the cigar. Most B&Ms keep their humi's @70%, most cigars smoke better @65%, let some rest and re-evaluate.

Hmmmm . . . well, about the only thing I still smoke in the $2-4 range is the Carlos Torano Exodus 1959, about $3.50 each in toro size by the box, especially if you shop around. If you like the RP '90 you should definitely like this one.

$5-7, I like the smaller Illusione Epernay sizes, the Illusione MK, the Don Lino Africa Kifaro, the Padilla Miami corona.

$8-10 opens up a whole wide world of smoking wonder, lol. That's where all my go-tos live, unfortunately. Used to be the $5-7 range, but prices have gone up in the last 15 years! La Riqueza #2, Esencia Corona Gorda, Tatuaje Verocu #9, Padilla Miami torpedo, San Cristobal Fabuloso and Guajiro, Illusione Holy Lance . . . lots of good full-bodied choices in this range.

$10-14 gets you into the Tatuaje Cojonu---the 03 and 09 are my favorites there---and a lot of the VSG line. The Spellbound, Torpedo, and Illusion are my favorite VSG vitolas, although you'll have to shop pretty hard to find the Spellbound at MSRP. If you've got a great source, Opus X starts showing up in this range and you should definitely smoke some of those. :D

$14+ is where the high end Padrons and Fuentes live---you can't go wrong with anything in either the '64 or '26 Padron lineups. Going over $20, you should definitely try the Padron 80th and Fuente God of Fire offerings. I like the Carlito Double Robusto the best in GOF . . . especially the tubo, for some reason.

Happy smoking! :thumbs:

~Boar

*All the above IMHO, YMMV, and not guaranteed to work in anyone else's universe, of course.

Any cigar can kick butt, if my stomach is empty,
and/or I don't have a drink to accompany the smoke.

Try some Fuente Hemingways and regular Ashtons,
like the Puro Sol, Cabinet or Aged Maduro lines.

The RP 1990 is rather mild. Other xlnt, mild cigars
are Perdomo Champagne, Casa Torano, Graycliff and
most Davidoffs.

You really have to try a lot of different smokes to
find what you like. Take your time and enjoy the
ride. What's the hurry?

Your palate may come to appreciate some of the stronger
smokes that currently taste 'bad' to you, eventually.
So don't be afraid to revisit some current 'duds' in
the future.

Not sure how the Oliva V got on your list. It's a spicy
powerhouse, yet smooth smoke. Others like it are
San Cristobal, RP Edge Corojo, Ashton VSG, LFD Double
Ligero, DPG Serie JJ maduro and the new Diesel.

Chemyst :cool:

I find that I have to be careful with Padrons. Since their draw is so loose, I tend to smoke them too fast without realizing it.

Sancho Panza double maduro is a good cheap cigar. I agree with all above who have said the Padron X000s in maduro are going to be a good go to for a reasonable smoke. Massphatness is also correct in saying that Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label is a good match up to your likings (particularly the fundadore). If you like the smoother tastes then the Hemingways from Fuente are almost always a safe bet.

Good luck.

I can give you some advice from a noobie perspective. I too am not enamored with a strong tobacco taste, but I also don't appreciate a bland mild cigar. My two favorites so far are the Montecristo Afrique and Oliva series O Maduro. My palate seems to agree with the dark smooth taste from these two cigars.
JMHO

Taste's differ and cigars change(a little).

What I smoke know is not what I started out with and even now I change it up.

My only suggestion, get a second job! ;)

Any of the Ashton VSG line as stated above are great, as well as the aged Maduros. As far as lighter smokes that aren't too over powering I like the Illusione 68 and the MK's as well.Padron X000 any of them are outstanding. Try staying with Maduros the sweetness of them will help split the spicy notes you get in the smokes. Might I also recommend getting a newbie sampler from BOTL if you haven't already.

Something no one has mentioned. Usually, a natural will have at least one brother, a maduro etc. You may not enjoy the natural, but the maduro usually has a different taste which you should explore.

Best of all, there are enough various cigars out there to keep you busy for a VERY long time.

You mention quite a few of the cigars you hated were bitter. Most of the ones you have listed I consider very creamy and smooth cigars. I know taste varies but I'm really wondering if you should look at your storage of the cigars rather than the cigars themselves. If bitterness is a predominant characteristic over such a wide range of tobacco blends, age, etc. then perhaps something else is the culprit. I would also pay attention to how you are smoking the cigars. Often times smoking a cigar too fast can cause overheating and bitterness. Just for curiosity sake, how long did it take for you to smoke that RASS?

You mention quite a few of the cigars you hated were bitter. Most of the ones you have listed I consider very creamy and smooth cigars. I know taste varies but I'm really wondering if you should look at your storage of the cigars rather than the cigars themselves.

I noticed that with these in particular:

R&J Anniversario Robusto- bitter and tasted only tobaco
R&J Reserva Real- same as the other R&J
Montecristo White Label tube - same as above R&J

. . . since those are three subtle, creamy, complex mild cigars I stll enjoy when I'm in the mood for something less full-bodied than my norm.

But all three have a "nutty" taste on the finish, sort of a sharp toasty almondish tang for me, that may be what he's describing as "bitter." That or he's hotboxing 'em. :laugh:

~Boar

try the Perdomo Habano Maduro. It might fit your flavor profile.
Good luck

thank you all for responses guys. all very appreciated!! I will give them a try next...

funny thing happened today. After I was done copying and pasting CA lists of best cigars and their vitolas for the last 5 years, so I have info prepared when going to cigar shop or local cigar bar and my eyes would not wonder, I read about and looked at Litto Gomez and La Flor Dominicanas cigars. Really liked their look and Chizel end of it. When I was in my local Corona Cigar Company B&M a guy there noticed I was looking at My Father, Tats and Don Pepin section and started talking to me. I told him what I liked and I asked him what he smokes on the regular and he told me LFD Double Ligero and after telling me how great and consistent they are he lit one for me it was Chisel gorda size and I was amazed by the flavor and smell of it, so aromic, it was unreal!! After a few puffs I told him I have to go and was not expecting him to light it for me, I had to ask what I owe him, he said, don't worry about it. That was nice of him, very nice of him! I took it home and just finished it. WOW. What can I say! Strong, powerful, very unique flavor and aroma. My new favorite!! No bite to the tongue. An no nasty after taste. Loved it! He told me the ones I hated were not aged enough and that is why they were harsh and bit the tongue. I will have to try LG and more of LFD lines. He told me Don Pepin ones are great but not as consistent as these. So many to try. Padron 1964, padron 2000 n&m, VSG, Tats, and many you guys suggested above..

I liked the 1926 and 1964's. But be carefull they are strong in my opinion.

I find that I have to be careful with Padrons. Since their draw is so loose, I tend to smoke them too fast without realizing it.

Keep them at a higher humidity. They taste better and don't dissipate as fast.

Just smoked Torano Exodus 1959 Silver Robusto.. Wow, great flavor, smooth, and mild, burn was perfect.. Best mild ones I have smoked! Will try the regular 1969 torp that got CA 90+ rating next and Virtuoso as well. I know the brand is liked on here.

Padron 2000 nat and mad are next to try as well, along with Litto Gomez cigs, LFD Ligero, La Aroma De Cuba reg and espacials. Then moving into Pepin ones, All the Tats that got high CA ratings, DPG Blue Lancero, DPG CC, and then I am planning to buy Ashton sampler of all their cig lines and then will go to PAN and PAM and 1926 lines and finish off with opusXs..

So far All the new boutique brands and new brands blew my socks off and all the spin off brands like that are non-cuban, Punch, Monte, Hoyo, and RyJ from their cuban cigars that are highly rated tasted like crap, why?

Is there any truth to that each of these brands that originated in Cuba and now to maximize their sales making cigars from non-cuban countries, mainly for America, since we are the biggest consumers of cigars in the world, and the rest of the world can get cuban sigs with no issues, and i do not see why someone in England would buy a non-cuban Monte or RyJ over the cuban stick in a cigar shop?! Does each brand and line have the best vitola that a brand makes with best rollers, or CA ratings are more or less acurate when it comes to vitola? Why I am asking is that I still want to try high rated non-cuban sticks like RyJ Vintage #2,1, or 3, Cuban reserve and reg 1875 cedar #1. Out of the Punch line, Champion and Punch Punch and one of the Gran Puro and Gran Crus, I did not like the Rosthchild, for the taste and overall, does that mean, most likely I will not like Champion and PP either? SDame goes for those RyJ, since I hated The Robusto Anneversario and Reserva Real Robusto? Hated the Monte White Tube, will I like Monte Classic Carona Especial #4 and Platinum edition? Lets Say Hoyo Excalibur 1066 Mad and nat Robusto was not bad but not too much taste, it was smooth and mild, but I will take that Exodus Torano over it any day. The high rated Hoyo Mad Excalibur was harsh.. Soo.. what you guys think? Sorry for rambling on..