• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plume or Doom?

golfgar said:
8 and 9 year old boxes of Padrons at a cigar shop.  Damn.
Yeah! Pretty awesome, but it sort of makes sense. Minnesota is B*$%*( for cigar tax. We've got the highest of any state! 

They mark them up 95% over cost just for tax, let alone for breaking even. In the last few years they realized how insane this is, so for cigars over $10 bucks a stick, the 95% is capped at... 3.50.... so add 5 bucks at least to any cigar over 10 bucks and the ones that are under are ridiculous.

I saw a single Partigas black label going for $18.00 and that was a ROBUSTO. CI.com has a 5 pack for $6 more...

Let's just say I really hope I can work out a deal for a starter pack with someone! :)
Half the stores can't even stock the Fuente Opus X because it's too dang spendy. nobody would buy it...

Heck, this particular owner doesn't stock Montecristo's because he can't SELL them and turn a profit. $19 bucks for a yellow label churchill.
Moral of the story? Minnesota is not cigar friendly.
I was stunned last year coming back from Canada and stopped at someplace just south of Minneapolis named Egan and bought a few smokes for the rest of the ride home as I ran out approaching the border, complete sticker shock.  Spent $80 on 6 cigars that should have cost $40.

Yup. Supporting B&M shops around here requires a second mortgage... Sadly! When whole companies (namely rocky Patel) lower their regional price for just one state, you know it's bad. Rockys cost about 10 bucks a stick whereas Gurkha's, montes, tats, cohibas, they'll cost between 18-25. It's junk.

Looks like plume to me.  Like a fine white dusting.  Great find!