• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plume or Mold - the universal question?

Good info by Backslide. 

That looks like a cigar, among many that was displayed recenty at a local B&M here in Tampa; one that is VERY well respected many cigar enthusiasts in South Tampa.  They defended the cigars by explaining it was plume. I didn't argue other than saying that I knew better... didn't matter.  I lost a lot of respect from them by their irrational explanation and quick defense.  Too many other solid B&M's in my town that won't try and peddle such cigars like that. 

Good luck to you on the other issues you have on your plate.

I always enjoy a good plume or mold thread. Or as the 80 year old man at one of our local B&M's calls it "FLUME!". He really likes to point out all of the flume on their cigars which are stored at 77 Rh... Made me cry when I looked at the 4 boxes of Opus X sitting there covered in mold. 

dunno bout you guys - but this quote from the link will help me remember this

"has wonderful sparkling plume all along its wrapper.It glitters like stripper makeup."

Freshening up this thread in the spirit of adding to our knowledge of, and defense against, mold.  Here is an image of what white mold looks like in the early stages on the foot of a cigar (this one purchased from a retailer with a walk in humidor that was over humidified). Snapped this image through a 60x hand held microscope; hopefully you can zoom on these to get greater fidelity on what the sporangiophore and sporangium look like before they've multiplied to the point where you see the obvious fuzz on the foot--when it's probably too late.  I intervened early with these and clipped the foot enough that I think I saved them.  Now, I'm controlling the humidity and temp enough that I don't think the environment is suitable for continued mold growth.  

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12333]