• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Poker Room

Also, the poker room seems to be a constant source of drama. The worst possible kind. Guys get in over their head and fail to meet their end of the bargain for one reason or another and off it goes. Sure, trades go bad but I would say percentage wise, the poker room generates far more than it's share of bad trades, bad feelings, and unnecessary drama.

Where is this happening? Besides the two most recent issues, when was the last one? I searched the Lobby and CP Information forum for "poker" and didn't find any threads. I searched the poker forum and found some issues back in August and October of 2006. Maybe my search-fu is bad. Do you have any links?

---John Holmes...

Where is this happening? Besides the two most recent issues, when was the last one? I searched the Lobby and CP Information forum for "poker" and didn't find any threads. I searched the poker forum and found some issues back in August and October of 2006. Maybe my search-fu is bad. Do you have any links?

---John Holmes...
Besides the latest two, the ones that I could easily find are:

Black list for unpaid debts - started 10 / 05, last entry 12 / 06.

To quote KC's original post; "We seem to be having an increasing number of losses not being sent to the rightful winners. I would hate for us to have to create this type of post but I don't want those who owe to end up playing another game and having the whole thing snowball."

Another one.

Disagreement over what a "premium" smoke is

More thrash over "value" and poker payouts

...etc.

Since I don't play, on the one hand, I could care less. On the other, it seems to me to generate a lot of thrash and let's folks get in over their heads pretty easily. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't think so....

Also, wasn't the room down for an extended period of time? That may account for the gaps in the numbers of players and the resulting problems.

Like I said, John - it's just one guy's opinion. Maybe I'm in the minority.....maybe not.

Regards - B.B.S.

Edited for schpelling and to correct links.......

I don't care if it stay or goes or what the rules turn out to be, either, so long as they're clear. Issues from two years ago, though, are not a "constant source of drama".

ETA: Yeah, I don't know if it was down for a while. Maybe that contributes to the lapse in drama...

---John Holmes...
Besides the latest two, the ones that I could easily find are:

Black list for unpaid debts - started 10 / 05, last entry 12 / 06.

To quote KC's original post; "We seem to be having an increasing number of losses not being sent to the rightful winners. I would hate for us to have to create this type of post but I don't want those who owe to end up playing another game and having the whole thing snowball."

Another one.

Disagreement over what a "premium" smoke is

More thrash over "value" and poker payouts

...etc.

Since I don't play, on the one hand, I could care less. On the other, it seems to me to generate a lot of thrash and let's folks get in over their heads pretty easily. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't think so....

Also, wasn't the room down for an extended period of time? That may account for the gaps in the numbers of players and the resulting problems.

Like I said, John - it's just one guy's opinion. Maybe I'm in the minority.....maybe not.

Regards - B.B.S.
[/size]

I had no idea how much and how often the poker room has caused trouble.
Thanks for the links.
That is good information. It looks like we constantly go down the road as what is an $8 stick.
Understandably this is a cigar board, and these questions will be asked time and time again.
New rules can be put in place, but by looking at the threads, over time they change, or just plainly forgotten.
I hate to see the poker room cause so much drama. But as long as we have poker and the stakes are cigars, you can bet on it.

Does just playing poker contribute to the community?

Yes, imo.

It only "contributes" to the community if the person just playing poker continually loses. Otherwise - what would be the value of someone only playing poker at a site primarily geared towards the discussion of cigars? :sign:

My local shop has had poker games in the backroom for those that regularly hang out - that was until people started showing up only for the poker games. Ruined the atmosphere for the regulars, and exposed to shop owner to unwanted scrutiny. No longer a problem - no poker allowed.

It seems the poker room at CP could become the same sort of situation - particularly if you have those mostly interested in the site because of the poker room - and then cashing in with the overall community by selling off their winnings...

Yes, you're right. It could become that if people do that.

Monkeys could also fly out of my arse, again, but I hope that doesn't happen, either. :laugh:

Monkeys could also fly out of my arse, again, but I hope that doesn't happen, either. :laugh:

I hope it doesn't either, John - you'd surely look awfully funny with monkeys flying out of your butt!!! :laugh:

<bad mental picture>
smiley11.gif

So if I'm reading you correctly, you think CP should take the hands off the controls and just let this "little" poker bus run until...?

And then we should do... What?

So if I'm reading you correctly, you think CP should take the hands off the controls and just let this "little" poker bus run until...?

No, I didn't say that. I think that if the poker room is a part of the community, then some more of the established members need to step up and provide the oversight necessary so that no one is gettting screwed. Same thing people do in other forums.

If no one can do that, then it probably needs to go away or have some mechanisms in place that only allow well established members of the community to play (so there's less need for oversight).

---John Holmes...

But this has happened. Look at this dk fellow who you keep defending for some reason. His post history proves that he's only here to play poker. With the exception of the last few days where he has been posting again and again, yet never actually answering questions, over 95% of his posts are in the poker room or to start a poker game. The other 10 posts that he made over the past two years were either sales or entering someone else's contest. If you think that chatting it up at the poker table is contributing to the community, then you go ahead and keep smoking the wacky stuff. It seems as though quite a few "established" members have already spoken up and defined the way they feel about the poker room and what makes a contributing member, you have just chosen not to listen because it's not what you want to hear.

It seems as though quite a few "established" members have already spoken up and defined the way they feel about the poker room and what makes a contributing member, you have just chosen not to listen because it's not what you want to hear.

I'm listening just fine. I understand that activity in the poker room does not make one an active member. That means they can't sell, trade or participate in group buys.

ETA:
With the exception of the last few days where he has been posting again and again, yet never actually answering questions
He's actually answered nearly every question asked of him. People don't believe him, though. And I'm not defending him. I don't even know him. Maybe he's a shitbag that is lying or maybe he's just a guy that likes playing poker more than chatting it up in the forums. There are a lot of accusations flying around with little to no proof. I'm just playing checks and balances. Nimrod was the only one that made a well thought out argument that carries serious accusations.

But this has happened. Look at this dk fellow who you keep defending for some reason. His post history proves that he's only here to play poker. With the exception of the last few days where he has been posting again and again, yet never actually answering questions, over 95% of his posts are in the poker room or to start a poker game. The other 10 posts that he made over the past two years were either sales or entering someone else's contest. If you think that chatting it up at the poker table is contributing to the community, then you go ahead and keep smoking the wacky stuff. It seems as though quite a few "established" members have already spoken up and defined the way they feel about the poker room and what makes a contributing member, you have just chosen not to listen because it's not what you want to hear.

And a couple of other "established" members disagree with them.

Why the crusade Andy? Have you been effected by this in someway? Has one person come forward and said he doesn't pay his debts? Do you play poker and can honestly say that he doesn't discuss cigars while playing?

Can I weigh in and try to stimulate the debate?

I play a lot of poker. I only played on CP for sticks once and the game was soft, really soft (sorry poker dudes I wouldn't hurt your feelings for anything because you guys are cool, IMHO.) I really enjoyed the game and the poker players were very friendly.

You guys seem to be worried about dk being a shark, in poker, that is the least thing to worry about. When the other players get tired of losing their sticks to him, they will either improve their game or quit playing against him. Let the market decide. it will always make the right decision.

Let's assume for the sake of discussion, that he is a shark and only plays to get sticks, as long as the other players are willing to play, shouldn't they be allowed? It is their sticks and they are all competent adults and I think they should be allowed to challenge the shark if they want.

On the other hand, you guys don't seem to know very much about poker and a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. You guys probably have no idea how to determine if dk is or is not a shark.

In poker appearances are very decieving. If dk won evey week for a month, would he qualify as a shark? The right answer is, it is too soon to tell.

Poker has just enough chance involved that a terrible player can win for an extended period of time and a really good player can lose his shirt for an extended period of time.

Pugsy Pearson was one of the greatest poker players of all time. He was one of the Texas Rounders with Doyle Brunson, Sailor Roberts, etc. He went on a two year losing streak while playing excellent poker and playing everyday. I know this is an extreme example, but I want to make a point, before someone is labeled a shark or someone else is prevented from playing for sticks. Please make sure have sufficient data.

It doesn't matter to me if this dk dude is banned or saluted. I have a firm belief that grown men(and women) should be allowed to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Steamboat: I think their point is that he should be participating in the board if he is playing poker on a server provided by the board for board members. I don't think you can really fault someone for being a decent card player.

Not a crusade, in fact you might want to notice that I have not even posted once in the thread going on in the Lobby. But even though I've only played poker here a few times, and I suck at it, doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to watch out for scumbags or profiteers, or in this case, sharks. I don't like the fact that there might be people that come here only for the sake of playing poker and nothing else. It's no different than someone that comes here and only posts in the BST room.

The community comes first here, the poker room is a benefit of the community which in my opinion should only be extended to active members of the community. What defines "active member"? Well, it sure as hell is alot more than a person who's vast majority of posts (95%+ in this case) are to start poker games, especially when the other small percentage of their posts in this case are not even close to an attempt at participation.

Not all of us post cigar reviews, but that certainly is a nice way to contribute. Not all of us host or take part in passes, but that most certainly is a way to contribute. Not all of us offer advice in the Humidor room, not all of us offer advice to a newbie on what's a great mild cigar, not all of us socialize in the Lobby. But all of the contributing members do at least some of that.

Not a crusade, in fact you might want to notice that I have not even posted once in the thread going on in the Lobby. But even though I've only played poker here a few times, and I suck at it, doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to watch out for scumbags or profiteers, or in this case, sharks. I don't like the fact that there might be people that come here only for the sake of playing poker and nothing else. It's no different than someone that comes here and only posts in the BST room.

The community comes first here, the poker room is a benefit of the community which in my opinion should only be extended to active members of the community. What defines "active member"? Well, it sure as hell is alot more than a person who's vast majority of posts (95%+ in this case) are to start poker games, especially when the other small percentage of their posts in this case are not even close to an attempt at participation.

Not all of us post cigar reviews, but that certainly is a nice way to contribute. Not all of us host or take part in passes, but that most certainly is a way to contribute. Not all of us offer advice in the Humidor room, not all of us offer advice to a newbie on what's a great mild cigar, not all of us socialize in the Lobby. But all of the contributing members do at least some of that.

And a few of us consider playing poker as contributing to CP as well. This is the point we disagree upon. And I disagree that the poker room is a large source of drama, it isn't.

So I see no need for this manhunt of a long time member who, up to this point, has as a few people have stated "been under the radar". The fact that he hasn't done anything wrong other than to erase a OP in sales is a very big reason he hasn't been on said screen.

And it has been stated more than once by other players that they do chat about cigars while playing. Isn't that what CP is all about? Chatting about cigars and sharing a good time?

The community comes first here, the poker room is a benefit of the community which in my opinion should only be extended to active members of the community
The rules about "active" members pertains to buying, trading and group buys in the B/S/T forum. Either "change the way things are done around here" or move on to something else.

You stirred up all of this in the first place over a deleted (and now restored) post.

Steamboat, we ain't Libertarians. We take of each other here. I've got a lot of experience saving poor dumb seamen from getting their paychecks stolen by a bunch of E-5 and E-6's in "friendly' poker games. Some times ya just gotta smarten up the ignorant. This ain't the Wild West, where it's every man for himself.

Doc.

The community comes first here, the poker room is a benefit of the community which in my opinion should only be extended to active members of the community
The rules about "active" members pertains to buying, trading and group buys in the B/S/T forum. Either "change the way things are done around here" or move on to something else.

You stirred up all of this in the first place over a deleted (and now restored) post.

I'm so glad you appear to be in charge and are telling me and other concerned members what to do. :rolleyes:

Steamboat, we ain't Libertarians. We take of each other here. I've got a lot of experience saving poor dumb seamen from getting their paychecks stolen by a bunch of E-5 and E-6's in "friendly' poker games. Some times ya just gotta smarten up the ignorant. This ain't the Wild West, where it's every man for himself.

Doc.

If the game is fixed, it is a completely different situation. I am a member of the poker police and my brother's keeper when the fix is in but when you are talking about insignificant stakes, and I hope two premium cigars a week isn't significant to anyone that chooses to play poker, I am about as relaxed as they come.

Your assumption that the poker guys are as stupid as the poor dumb seamen is insulting in my opinion.