• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Poor Man's Cigar Review thread

Perdomo Lot 23
Size/shape: Churchill
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Nicaraguan Cuban seed
Filler: Nicaraguan Cuban seed
MSRP: $4.75
Length: 7
Ring Gauge: 50
Manufactured: handmade
Strength: medium bodied

This stick had a decent cap and a smooth wrapper with one large vertical vein. There was a tiny bit of oil visible on the wrapper. It had a tiny bit of give when squeezed, but not much at all. I also like the simple design of the band. Overall the wrapper construction was nice and the appearance was good as well.

Pre-light, The draw was perfect with a bit of restriction, but just right (not too open, not too tight). It had a hint of spice on the lips and a woody and grassy flavors. It gave off an aroma of hay.

After torching the foot, the smooth pepper jumped out at me and left on the back of the tongue. The strongest flavor was an earthy finish with hints of woodiness and a semi-sweet buttery finish. The draw was still great, producing beautiful thick smoke. By this point, my thoughts that the pre-light hay aroma would shape into a very grassy post-light were gone and I was pleasantly surprised thus far.

During the first third, the great draw helped reveal hints of cream mixed with the pepper, wood, and earthiness The aftertaste was now a nutty undertone. The pepper was no where to be found on the wrapper as the kick could only be felt towards the back of the throat, but was lighter than at first. The burn was razor sharp with a smooth thin burn line and a tight spotted white ash that held for about an inch.

Halfway, the burn and draw are still great. The woodiness is the most dominant flavor at this point as the earth backed off a bit. The pepper is still light and the nutty finish faded, now leaving a buttery aftertaste once again.

Last third, the burn and draw stayed spot-on. The pepper was now gone. The woodiness was now very dominant and a little harsh on a few puffs. The buttery finish smoothed that harshness out when it popped up though. This part of the cigar, which coincidentally was the least complex, brought it from medium bodied to mild.

I had heard good things about this stick, but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it turned out. The balance was smooth and tasty at almost every single puff and the complex flavor twists were a pleasant surprise. The construction reminds me of an $8-10 stick. Overall, I'd say this cigar is worth the MSRP and can be had for much less (around $2-3 on various sites). It's not the best Poor Man's Cigar I've had, but I'd definitely consider picking up a box!

Great review, I have one of these in my humidor right now waiting to be smoked! I am looking forward to it now after reading that, and may just fire it up this weekend ;) You do some awesome reviews!

Tatuaje Series P and Padron thousand series are definite anytime of the day go-to cigars for me..

Perdomo Lot 23
Size/shape: Churchill
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Nicaraguan Cuban seed
Filler: Nicaraguan Cuban seed
MSRP: $4.75
Length: 7
Ring Gauge: 50
Strength: medium bodied

This stick had a decent cap and a smooth wrapper with one large vertical vein. There was a tiny bit of oil visible on the wrapper. It had a tiny bit of give when squeezed, but not much at all. I also like the simple design of the band. Overall the wrapper construction was nice and the appearance was good as well.

Pre-light, The draw was perfect with a bit of restriction, but just right (not too open, not too tight). It had a hint of spice on the lips and a woody and grassy flavors. It gave off an aroma of hay.

After torching the foot, the smooth pepper jumped out at me and left on the back of the tongue. The strongest flavor was an earthy finish with hints of woodiness and a semi-sweet buttery finish. The draw was still great, producing beautiful thick smoke. By this point, my thoughts that the pre-light hay aroma would shape into a very grassy post-light were gone and I was pleasantly surprised thus far.

During the first third, the great draw helped reveal hints of cream mixed with the pepper, wood, and earthiness The aftertaste was now a nutty undertone. The pepper was no where to be found on the wrapper as the kick could only be felt towards the back of the throat, but was lighter than at first. The burn was razor sharp with a smooth thin burn line and a tight spotted white ash that held for about an inch.

Halfway, the burn and draw are still great. The woodiness is the most dominant flavor at this point as the earth backed off a bit. The pepper is still light and the nutty finish faded, now leaving a buttery aftertaste once again.

Last third, the burn and draw stayed spot-on. The pepper was now gone. The woodiness was now very dominant and a little harsh on a few puffs. The buttery finish smoothed that harshness out when it popped up though. This part of the cigar, which coincidentally was the least complex, brought it from medium bodied to mild.

I had heard good things about this stick, but I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it turned out. The balance was smooth and tasty at almost every single puff and the complex flavor twists were a pleasant surprise. The construction reminds me of an $8-10 stick. Overall, I'd say this cigar is worth the MSRP and can be had for much less (around $2-3 on various sites). It's not the best Poor Man's Cigar I've had, but I'd definitely consider picking up a box!

Great review, I have one of these in my humidor right now waiting to be smoked! I am looking forward to it now after reading that, and may just fire it up this weekend ;) You do some awesome reviews!

Glad you enjoyed the review. I'll be doing a few more Perdomos that fit the bill in the upcoming weeks/months.

I'll be picking this back up since I'm back to my regularly scheduled program.
I had a lot of fun with it and am looking forward to trying new stuff for review.

Vegueros Seoane(2000)
Size/shape: Short Panatela
Wrapper: Cuban
Binder: Cuban
Filler: Cuban
MSRP: N/A
Avg Price: $2.75-$4
Length: 4 7/8
Ring Gauge: 36
Strength: medium-bodied
This cigar had a surprisingly nice cap with a few thick veins and a somewhat rough wrapper. There was a small amount of sponginess, but it was closer to rock-solid than anything else.
Pre-light, the draw was a little tight with a taste of grass and light tobacco. It barely had a pre-light aroma, that of which was a hint of tobacco.
After lighting, the draw was a little better, but still tight, producing a small amount of smoke. The flavor was was very grassy with hints of herb and earth .

During the first third, the draw didn't change and the burn stayed pretty sharp with a tight, dark grey ash. The flavor was still grassy, but the earth turned more into a creaminess and the combination of flavors made for a harsh finish leaving somewhat of a rough black coffee aftertaste.

Halfway through the creaminess was a bit stronger, smoothing out the finish and turning the dominant grassy flavor a bit floral. A hint of pepper on the tongue mixed well with these flavors at this point. The burn was still razor sharp, but the draw hadn't opened up too much and the head began to unravel slightly. In terms of flavor,

Last third, grass was the most abundant flavor, but the finish was smoothest at this point. The pepper was gone, but the strength intensified during the last inch or so.

Overall, this cigar is somewhat boring and one dimensional, which wouldn't have been bad if the " one dimension" was tasty. I was more impressed with the construction and burn than anything else. The final third saved this one, but I'd call it average a best. I'd recommend trying one with a morning coffee, but wouldn't invest in a whole box, even for the price.

DSCN5960.jpg

DSCN5965.jpg

DSCN5967.jpg

DSCN5970.jpg

DSCN5974.jpg

DSCN5985.jpg

Well,
I got a pm thanking me for these reviews, and it motivaed me to wipe the dust off of this one.
Keep your eyes peeled and your spare change ready for some low-budget sleepers.

Hey man great stuff! Thanks so much for catering to the "budget" guys :)

The oliva serie G you reviewed, you had the MSRP at like 3.15 or something.... where are you finding these prices man?

I'm looking to fill up some space in the humi and cant seem to find these cheaper than 4.25-4.5

Thanks!

Jim

The oliva serie G you reviewed, you had the MSRP at like 3.15 or something.... where are you finding these prices man?

I'm looking to fill up some space in the humi and cant seem to find these cheaper than 4.25-4.5

Thanks!

Jim

Wow, I just found this and figured you still have a question.
It varies by source, B&M, etc. However, this thread is a catch-all for anything that can generally be found for under $5 whether it's at MSRP or not.

Man, I'm lazy and busy at the same time. I'll resurrect this eventually.

Thanks!

Jim

Wow, I just found this and figured you still have a question.
It varies by source, B&M, etc. However, this thread is a catch-all for anything that can generally be found for under $5 whether it's at MSRP or not.

Man, I'm lazy and busy at the same time. I'll resurrect this eventually.

Jim was banned a little while back. Went off the handle if I remember correctly! But anyway, I love reading this thread so I'll def be looking forward to it when it is resurrected!

edit: Thought I had caught an odd sentence but apparently not.

Just giving this a bump, since there has been some threads about inexpensive smokes.