• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Port wine

ree ree robusto

Official Misfit
Just curious what some of you like to eat when you are drinking port wine? Personally, I like to eat chocolate, nuts, and my favorite stiltin cheese.

I know this doesn't answer the question exactly - but I don't like to eat anything. Some port and a good cigar is a favorite past-time for me - why ruin it with food...?

Port is typically used as a dessert wine but I like it with a cigar only.

oak said:
I know this doesn't answer the question exactly - but I don't like to eat anything. Some port and a good cigar is a favorite past-time for me - why ruin it with food...?
[snapback]153108[/snapback]​
Oak, try it was some Stiltin cheese or desserts next time you drink port. It intesifies the taste, especially with the Stiltin.

ree ree robusto said:
oak said:
[snapback]153108[/snapback]​
Oak, try it was some Stiltin cheese or desserts next time you drink port. It intesifies the taste, especially with the Stiltin.
[snapback]153120[/snapback]​
I occassionally have it with dessert, but prefer it with just a cigar - but I'll have to give the cheese a try. Now I need to go to google and figure out what the hell Stilton cheese is... ;)

(Wow. This cheese has its own web site... http://www.stiltoncheese.com/ - bwhahaha).

Cheers,

- Oak

If you like stinky cheese, Stiltin is the way to go. Stinkier than blue cheese. It is definetly an aquired taste, though. When you get some, let it sit out to room tempurature and dig in and sit some port. Yummy.

I have to agree with Oak and Leebo, port with cigars, nothing more. :thumbs:

I've seen and heard of people dipping the tip of their cigar in port or wine. I think that will ruin the cigar. Have any of you heard of that or tried it?

Hello,I joined to see if I could get some advice and maybe some idea as to what I have found.I know little about Port wine. I have a sealed bottle stamped "PORTO 1937". It was bottled in 1972 and shipped by Antoio Jose Da Silva. What should I do with it?

At 30+ years of age, I'd say save it for a special evening with someone else who likes port. BTW, where do you live? :sign: :sign:

Thank you for the help.I live in the east. I have another bottle also. It is a congac. It has a gold rim at both ends and gold grapes and leaves on it. It is a nice sealed bottle. On the bottem it is stamped made in France.Also stamped Baccarat with a bottle and glass. I am just a country boy and have no experience with them.I do thank you.

Are there any words printed on the bands or a label around the neck? Can you post a pic? Baccarat made a number of congac bottles over the years.

[quote name='sippin'time' date='Jul 26 2005, 08:55 PM']Thank you for the help.I live in the east. I have another bottle also. It is a congac. It has a gold rim at both ends and gold grapes and leaves on it. It is a nice sealed bottle. On the bottem it is stamped made in France.Also stamped Baccarat with a bottle and glass. I am just a country boy and have no experience with them.I do thank you.
[snapback]205186[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It has a cork in it with the famous goverment strip.On the strip it says "B. Leon Croizet cognac".I was told it was from the 1920's or 30's. Any thoughts?

Thank you Lopeka. So is this a wine? I hope I am not getting on an yones nerves with these questions.

NP, and you not bothering anyone here (I don't think)

Click Here for more info

What is the difference between Cognac and brandy?

Brandy is named after the Dutch term 'brandjiwin': It defines a spirit distilled from wine or fermented juice and aged for at least six months in oak casks.

Technically, therefore, all Cognacs are brandies. But while the brandy may be made anywhere in the world, Cognac can only be produced in the Cognac region. A decree passed in 1909 delimits the boundaries of the Cognac production area; later decrees define the laws to follow in order to merit the controlled appellation: Other laws cover topics including the two stage distillation, the maturing in oak casks in warehouses called "jaune d'or" (or golden yellow), reserved specifically for Cognac, the minimum period of aging of approximately 30 months.

Taken from here--History of Cognac
Enjoy

Lopaka

From my limited knowledge, if it was that old there usually was a date on the tax stamp. It wan't until the 70's when codes started showing up. It is a Cognac and the maker is one of the better houses but without any indication of the quality (VS, VSOP, XO etc. etc) it is hard to say how good it could be. However, being in a Baccarat bottle should put it as one of the better ones.

[quote name='sippin'time' date='Jul 26 2005, 09:57 PM']It has a cork in it with the famous goverment strip.On the strip it says "B. Leon Croizet cognac".I was told it was from the 1920's or 30's. Any thoughts?
[snapback]205223[/snapback]​
[/quote]

WOW!!! Learned more here than all the searches I did.I don't really drink these types. I drink blended whiskey and sometimes a little scotch.(Yummy)