• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Portable GPS Help

Matt R

That's #1 Member to you. :)
I'm considering getting my wife a low-priced portable GPS for Christmas this year and need some input. She will basically be using it for the area around here, but to locate specific addresses for her wine tastings that she does. I'm sure we'll use it on the road a bit too, but it'll be mainly for the previous stated use. The two I've seen in the right price range are the Magellan RoadMate 2000 GPS and the Garmin StreetPilot c330 Vehicle Navigation GPS Receiver. Any input on these or others in the $300-$350 price range would be appreciated.

Not much help, but I've been a fan of Garmin's hand-helds for awhile - mainly used them for geocaching, where maps don't matter so much though...

Matt, I have a Garmin 2320 Street Pilot and I love it! I know the model you are looking at is a very good unit for the money. Go for the Garmin, the Magellen suck(and not in the way we like)!

I bought my wife the c330 and she loves it. It is intuitive and easy to use which going in was my biggest concern. I have also noticed that the maps are more accurate then a couple I have used in the past.

The main downfall is the 330 doesn't offer the ability to set up an alternate route which isn't that big of a deal but an annoyance at times. Good luck!

I bought my wife the c330 and she loves it. It is intuitive and easy to use which going in was my biggest concern. I have also noticed that the maps are more accurate then a couple I have used in the past.

The main downfall is the 330 doesn't offer the ability to set up an alternate route which isn't that big of a deal but an annoyance at times. Good luck!

As long as it doesn't say something like, "no, you were supposed to go straight, not turn left!"

Matt I have two Garmin 2620 there great. Easy to use hell even my Girl friend
can use it. Plus there customer service is great.

I have an older Etrex Legend C with the MapSource CitySelect on It. It does the rerouting and address lookup, points of interest and all that. It may be too small for what you want, but it is highly portable (read purse-size) and it's made for road and offroad.

Check these links out before you buy: I'm sort of a gps nut so I spent a lot of time researching:

http://www.gpsinformation.net
http://www.gpsonsale.com

first link is everything you ever wanted to know about gps
second is the place I bought mine. Still best prices I've seen and very good service.

Clark

I have several but my favorite is the Garmin i5. It's fantastic and in your price range.

Fish

I have a Garmin eTrex Legend and I love it for geocaching. I have not used it for navigating though. There is a software package available that will facilitate that function, but I have not purchased it yet. Stay away from Magellan, no tech support whatsoever.

I bought MS Streets & Trips with the USB GPS doohickey before the handheld. It has saved my butt more times than I care to admit. Especially during my recent stints in St Louis.

If I were to buy a GPS unit today? I would get this HP RX5915 Travel Companion Pocket PC. A bit more than you have in mind, but a handy device.

I picked up a Garmin Street Pilot i3 a couple of months ago when it went on sale at Amazon for $250. It is the low-end of the product line and so has less memory (can only hole 4-5 states maps at once) a smallish screen, and no touch-screen, but I love it!

It works pretty darn well, and is very small and unobtrusive.

Can't beat it for $250!

About 2 years ago I bought my Aunt & Uncle a Garmin and they have liked it so far. Not the same odel as what you are looking at but just a general statement about the company.

:( I have the handheld Meridian unit. I have not had an issue with it but have called tech support a couple of times with questions. The shortest wait time I have ever had was 39 minutes, the longest was 58 minutes. I just can't recommend a company with that kind of customer service.

Les

Here is the number if you want to try before you buy. 800 707 9971

I have not have any info on this unit, so if anyone else knows about this unit maybe they can help out. I have seen some of their phones with integrated GPS chips on the market these past few years. But this sale at st@ples seems like a good price.

Mio C310

Check with your cellular provider. I've used TelNav for about 6 months and wouldn't travel without it. Since it works with your phone you can use it in any car. Its really cool when you're riding with someone else and they don't know where the hell they're going.... just whip out your phone and save the day. I can preprogram addresses from my computer or input directly into the phone. Inputting with the computer is nice when I have a group of addresses tha I know in advance.

Telenav

I'm considering getting my wife a low-priced portable GPS for Christmas this year and need some input. She will basically be using it for the area around here, but to locate specific addresses for her wine tastings that she does. I'm sure we'll use it on the road a bit too, but it'll be mainly for the previous stated use. The two I've seen in the right price range are the Magellan RoadMate 2000 GPS and the Garmin StreetPilot c330 Vehicle Navigation GPS Receiver. Any input on these or others in the $300-$350 price range would be appreciated.

Both my wife and I have a Tomtom.... absolutely love 'em. Click here