• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Post #500, and a Contest...

tigger

gutter-grade asstrash
This here is my 500th post. Went by quick. It's been a very nice run, so I'm throwing a little contest in appreciation. It is open to anyone who registered at CP on or before October 31, 2006 and has at least 10 posts.

First person on this thread to post all of the correct answers to following questions by 2:00 pm (EST) Wednesday (11/15) will get a fiver or thereabouts of some cigars I like to smoke.

If no one has gotten them all by 2 on Weds, whoever has the most correct answers by that time will win. If there's a tie, I'll randomly draw one of the tie-ees names to pick the winner.

Some questions can be answered by looking on the web, some by searching the boards here at CP, and maybe a couple/few by guessing (with the hints provided along with the questions).

No more than 2 posts per person are allowed before the contest is closed, and no editing is allowed. Posts that don't meet these criteria will be disqualified, as will any by anyone who registered after 10/31 of this year or has fewer than 10 posts.

Good Luck!

The questions:

1. About ten years ago, I began smoking cigars in earnest after having dabbled with them on and off for awhile before that. What were the origins of the tobacco I smoked on the fateful day that got me back, and more seriously, into cigar smoking.?

2. Who is the sole surviving "official" keyboard player of the Grateful Dead?

3. Coupla weekends ago I finally broke down and told my gal we could get another cat. He's a very active little kitten, and our sleep, and that of my dogs, is suffering for it. :rolleyes:

A. What is the name of the animal shelter in West Cornwall, CT that he came from?
B. The gal likes the Star Trek Next Generation thingy. The kitten won't seem to let go of us. What is his name?

4. To my knowledge, I've only seen 4 CPers in person so far - all most recently at TAA Hartford in October. Who are they?

5. Who was the Jethro Tull frontman's featured fiddle player at his recent Warner Theatre Performance, and what could she hit with a cat and still make smokelaw1 happy?

6. Where does the quotation from my Avatar come from, and who was the second person to say it there (it's the riparian one)?

7. The last time I saw Brent Mydland alive was in Foxboro, MA. He said it could be the last time, and it was. What was the date?

8. One of my dogs has a name. (Really, they both do, but we're only focusing on the one here). He was named both for the first name of a famed and now departed (on Dec. 8, 2003) Cuban piano player, and part of a song title on Jerry Garcia Band's, "Cats Under the Stars" album. Different spellings, same name. Either spelling is acceptable. What is his name?

Some work to be done here, but I think the winner will find it worthwhile. :)

Thanks to all who make this a great place to hang out...

Congratulations on your first 500, Tim! :thumbs:

I don't know jack about The Dead so I will wish good luck to all the guys who do and come to give this test a whack. :)

Wilkey

I don't know jack about The Dead so I will wish good luck to all the guys who do and come to give this test a whack.

Google is your friend. :D Maybe hardcore deadheads have a little edge, but I don't think there's anything there that couldn't be found with a little creative searching.

And thanks for the congrats!

This here is my 500th post. Went by quick. It's been a very nice run, so I'm throwing a little contest in appreciation. It is open to anyone who registered at CP on or before October 31, 2006 and has at least 10 posts.

First person on this thread to post all of the correct answers to following questions by 2:00 pm (EST) Wednesday (11/15) will get a fiver or thereabouts of some cigars I like to smoke.

If no one has gotten them all by 2 on Weds, whoever has the most correct answers by that time will win. If there's a tie, I'll randomly draw one of the tie-ees names to pick the winner.

Some questions can be answered by looking on the web, some by searching the boards here at CP, and maybe a couple/few by guessing (with the hints provided along with the questions).

No more than 2 posts per person are allowed before the contest is closed, and no editing is allowed. Posts that don't meet these criteria will be disqualified, as will any by anyone who registered after 10/31 of this year or has fewer than 10 posts.

Good Luck!

The questions:

1. About ten years ago, I began smoking cigars in earnest after having dabbled with them on and off for awhile before that. What were the origins of the tobacco I smoked on the fateful day that got me back, and more seriously, into cigar smoking.?

A Mexican Puro, smoked on the Zocalo in Oaxaca

Tom Constanten

3. Coupla weekends ago I finally broke down and told my gal we could get another cat. He's a very active little kitten, and our sleep, and that of my dogs, is suffering for it. :rolleyes:

A. What is the name of the animal shelter in West Cornwall, CT that he came from?
B. The gal likes the Star Trek Next Generation thingy. The kitten won't seem to let go of us. What is his name?

This one is giving some trouble, gotta take some guesses
A) Little Guild of St. Francis
B) Tribble

4. To my knowledge, I've only seen 4 CPers in person so far - all most recently at TAA Hartford in October. Who are they?
Smokelaw1
Grateful1
Fpkjr
JimD

5. Who was the Jethro Tull frontman's featured fiddle player at his recent Warner Theatre Performance, and what could she hit with a cat and still make smokelaw1 happy?

Ann Marie Calhoun
"Anne Marie Calhoun could hit a bagpipe with a cat, and I would enjoy the show, and giver her a standing "O" at the end. "

6. Where does the quotation from my Avatar come from, and who was the second person to say it there (it's the riparian one)?

It is from Firefly and was said by River (second) and Kaylee first. What a great show!

7. The last time I saw Brent Mydland alive was in Foxboro, MA. He said it could be the last time, and it was. What was the date?

July 14, 1990

8. One of my dogs has a name. (Really, they both do, but we're only focusing on the one here). He was named both for the first name of a famed and now departed (on Dec. 8, 2003) Cuban piano player, and part of a song title on Jerry Garcia Band's, "Cats Under the Stars" album. Different spellings, same name. Either spelling is acceptable. What is his name?

Ruben

Some work to be done here, but I think the winner will find it worthwhile. :)

Thanks to all who make this a great place to hang out...

Thanks for the contest tigger! Always nice to find anything to do other than work :p

I was told I couldn't PM my answers in so here they are.

A: “…it was a Mexican Puro, smoked on the Zocalo in Oaxaca a while back that got me back, and more seriously, into cigar smoking.”

A: Tom Constanten

3. Coupla weekends ago I finally broke down and told my gal we could get another cat. He's a very active little kitten, and our sleep, and that of my dogs, is suffering for it. rolleyes.gif

a. What is the name of the animal shelter in West Cornwall, CT that he came from?
A:Little Guild of St. Francis
b. The gal likes the Star Trek Next Generation thingy. The kitten won't seem to let go of us. What is his name?
A:Klingon

A:smokelaw1, grateful1, Fpkjr, JimD

A:Anne Marie Calhoun, a bagpipe

A: Firefly – Episode 10 -War Stories. Said by River (the second time)

A: 7/14/90 (I saw the Philly show of the same tour)

A:Rubin Gonzalez

No winner yet, although there are some very good answers up above... :)

I'm going to use my second post to guess the cat's name is Q

2nd post,: Changing question 3 kitten's name to Worf.

This is now closed.

Thanks to AVB and insight for participating. Not to keep you in suspense, but I need to have a consult with the judges in my head, and will probably end up either doing a drawing, or sending out a couple of 5ers...

The answers:

1. Mexico - Both correct

2. Tom Constanten - Both correct

3. A: Little Guild of St. Francis
B: Worf - AVB was right

4. smokelaw1, grateful1, Fpkjr, JimD - Both right

5. Anne Marie Calhoun, a bagpipe - Both right

6. Firefly. River. - Both right. From one of the best TV shows ever produced (IMO)

7. 7/14/90 - Both correct

8. Ruben, or Reuben is my dog's name. Rubén González was the piano player - insight technically righter than AVB.

So really it's a tie. Mostly. With a little edge to AVB.

I'll post my decision this evening or tonight.

If it were simple, I guess it would be boring... :p

#7 - great show! I got in 2 songs before the end of the first set!! What a great great evening! "I will take you home!' - outstanding!

Ahhhhhh the suspense!

Good luck insight.

You too AVB

:love: Gotta love this place!

AND THE WINNER IS...

Both of yuhs!

AVB, please PM me your name. I'll get both of your snailers from your profiles and get a package out to each of you tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks again!

Tim

That works! Congrats to insight and cheers to tigger for the contest.

Wow thanks tigger! Congrats again on 500 and to AVB

Nice, but freaking difficult contest and great contest organizator! :)
Congrats to winners :)

Just an FYI for the winners, or entrants, or whatever you are. ;) - smokes are packaged up, and will go out in the morning.