• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Postcard in the mail today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our marketing guy is looking into the postage due situation. All of the post cards had stamps on them. That was verified by the postman today. He is going to question the post office about it on Monday and will give them the list of individuals we sent them to, which was a random sampling of a large list of 10,000 cigar smokers with internet access. We will then make sure that all the postage due for everyone is taken care of. I am still confused as to the postage due situtation. Obviously not everyone had the problem.

It is important to note that the mailing was certainly not Cigar Pass related. Many of you recieved them because you are very active in the community and have your name on lists elsewhere. Interestingly enough, my name and address was also on the list, but I am always purchasing something, so it makes sense.

I have also recieved emails (quite a few) from people that were very happy to recieve the mailing and were excited to actually recieve "junk mail" for something that they enjoy. While I wish we could please all of you, we can't. That is an impossibility. The postage due situation will be taken care of once we figure out how it happened and who was affected by it. Don't worry about it. I am very disturbed that some of you recieved them with postage due. Totally unacceptable and certainly not intentional.

What concerns me is that sure email spam is one thing with being active in the Cigar community but to receive mail from your address means some company you have done business with broke your trust and sold them your address and information. Concerned? You betcha!

KevinWHoecker said:
Our marketing guy is looking into the postage due situation. All of the post cards had stamps on them. That was verified by the postman today. He is going to question the post office about it on Monday and will give them the list of individuals we sent them to, which was a random sampling of a large list of 10,000 cigar smokers with internet access. We will then make sure that all the postage due for everyone is taken care of. I am still confused as to the postage due situtation. Obviously not everyone had the problem.

It is important to note that the mailing was certainly not Cigar Pass related. Many of you recieved them because you are very active in the community and have your name on lists elsewhere. Interestingly enough, my name and address was also on the list, but I am always purchasing something, so it makes sense.

I have also recieved emails (quite a few) from people that were very happy to recieve the mailing and were excited to actually recieve "junk mail" for something that they enjoy. While I wish we could please all of you, we can't. That is an impossibility. The postage due situation will be taken care of once we figure out how it happened and who was affected by it. Don't worry about it. I am very disturbed that some of you recieved them with postage due. Totally unacceptable and certainly not intentional.
[snapback]217348[/snapback]​

I guess that is what fired me up the most, the postage due part. I did look at the card, yes I kept it, and it looks like there may have been a stamp or something on it at one point but it was gone long before it got here. It just seemed very low class that a vendor would send out a mailer and not put postage on it. BUT I can see how that could happen if you were using stamps and not a bulk postage machine. I personally do not remember signing up for any promotions that asked for a home addy regarding my cigar smoking but I have made a few purchases online and it is bothersome that a vendor may have sold my info.

I would like to know how many folks here at CP that DO NOT have their addys in their profiles have received the mailing as stated above.

DevilsMilk said:
TonyDogs said:
I don't know the guy he did try to sell me a box of Royal Jamican Gold and gave an ok deal nothing that I would jump on. He then gave a good deal on a box of Zino Platnuim series but still not enough of a break to say ok.

In the guys defense there in nothing wrong with some direct marketing. IF your on this forum you like cigars, he sell cigars. I see nothing wrong with what he did except if he did not put postage on the mail. That is some cheap a$$ thing to do, and know one wants to do biz with a broke vendor.

Thats my take
Tonydogs ;)
[snapback]217091[/snapback]​

Tony,

Grabbing everyones address and soliciting is against the law when I am on the do not send list. He is currently in direct violation of said law. If I had actually bought something from him then I would have no action. I would like to get our lawyer's opinion on this. In my opinion he is a scumbag and did everything wrong by stealing our addresses from this forum. Hey you like cigars and your on a computer. I will send you advertisement for a new computer and tech support. See now does that sound ok?

Sorry I just dont agree with him being a nice guy.
[snapback]217093[/snapback]​

No I disagree with you, you put your address on your profile knowing it was able to be viewed by the public. Take you address off even your on the do not call list. Under that do not call list, the way I understand it is if you subscribe to something ex. cigarpass then you can be solicited from that site.

I want to apologize for my orginal comment towards devilmilk. I should not have posted a negative comment to him.

Tonydogs ;)

TonyDogs said:
DevilsMilk said:
TonyDogs said:
I don't know the guy he did try to sell me a box of Royal Jamican Gold and gave an ok deal nothing that I would jump on. He then gave a good deal on a box of Zino Platnuim series but still not enough of a break to say ok.

In the guys defense there in nothing wrong with some direct marketing. IF your on this forum you like cigars, he sell cigars. I see nothing wrong with what he did except if he did not put postage on the mail. That is some cheap a$$ thing to do, and know one wants to do biz with a broke vendor.

Thats my take
Tonydogs ;)
[snapback]217091[/snapback]​

Tony,

Grabbing everyones address and soliciting is against the law when I am on the do not send list. He is currently in direct violation of said law. If I had actually bought something from him then I would have no action. I would like to get our lawyer's opinion on this. In my opinion he is a scumbag and did everything wrong by stealing our addresses from this forum. Hey you like cigars and your on a computer. I will send you advertisement for a new computer and tech support. See now does that sound ok?

Sorry I just dont agree with him being a nice guy.
[snapback]217093[/snapback]​

No I disagree with you, you put your address on your profile knowing it was able to be viewed by the public. Take you address off even your on the do not call list. Under that do not call list, the way I understand it is if you subscribe to something ex. cigarpass then you can be solicited from that site.

Actually I do see any solicitation from this website or the people on it OK.

I would recommend that you solicit something that I am interested in LIKE CIGARS and not you womens panties that are in a bunch.

Tonydogs ;)
[snapback]217394[/snapback]​

Tony,

In no way did I attempt to dis-respect you but as I see it you just crossed the line with your comment. Sorry you feel that way and as I have stated before opinions will differ but thats life. Thanks.

I have never got mail from a cigar vendor that I did not ask for... Not once.

KevinWHoecker said:
If you don't like deals, throw it out. Cigar International does it, Thompson Cigar does it, JR Cigars does it. If you dont like their deals either, thrown them out. The list was of known cigar smokers. Of course there are going to be some of you on it. You smoke cigars and you obviously spend a lot of time on the internet. There were about 10,000 names on it.

If CI, Thompson, and JR started sending out beetles to ruin people's humidors in the hopes that they would have to buy more cigars from their company to restock their humidors would you do it too???!!! I know it's a dumb example, but the point is TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT! (but three left's do! ;) )

I purposely don't give my name and address out to certain companies for fear of getting bombarded with junk mail. (I know my address came from this site because the only name JR has is my full name from my credit card billing address, this postcard came with my short name on it!) If I visited your website and put down my mailng address, I would understand some junk mail (wouldn't like it, but would understand, and wouldn't have had a problem with it.) The point is, I never did that!

I'm more pissed than anything about the fact that I finally got to a point where I don't get much junk mail anymore. And when I do, I know why and from whom I've gotten it. I don't like the fact that it got taken from this website. If all of the people who sponsered this website did that, I think there would have to be some kind of disclaimer when you sign up or something. If I thought I would have to recieve spam and junkmail to participate in this BB, I probably wouldn't have signed up.

I don't know, done with this rant for now....bottom line, call it what you want, IT'S JUST BAD BUSINESS! PERIOD.

KevinWHoecker said:

[snapback]217348[/snapback]​

Dude, I appreciate being taken off your mailing list. I was hoping that would happen. see my previous post about why I don't think that being "very active in the cigar community and having my name on lists elsewhere" is a legit excuse.

About the postage due....don't bother. Trying to reimburse someone for the postage of a postcard (at least me personally) is more of a slap in the face than anything else. I understand that sending out a bunch of them, one or two get by without a stamp, **** happens. That was just principle. I don't want the postage back, mistakes happen no big deal. That's not my problem. The point is, that I don't think it should have gone out in the first place. End of story.

PS-I really hope this is the end of it. I really hate the fact that I am in the middle of this type of thread. This is not the reason I joined CP. But like I said, it's a matter of principle.

Just wondering...Did you send out 10,000 postcards. If my caculations are correct that would be $2600 postage. The price of the cards was not factored. Seems like alot of money to spend on a fishing expedition. Anyone smell that fishy arouma. ???

cigarsarge said:
Just wondering...Did you send out 10,000 postcards. If my caculations are correct that would be $2600 postage. The price of the cards was not factored. Seems like alot of money to spend on a fishing expedition. Anyone smell that fishy arouma. ???
[snapback]217422[/snapback]​

I bet that all the members that received Hoecker's CigarHumidor mailing, all had their addresses in their profiles.

Did anyone receive this postcard here who did not have their address in their profile?

Quack! :whistling:

the list of individuals we sent them to, which was a random sampling of a large list of 10,000 cigar smokers with internet access.

I can't believe this hasn't been asked yet, but where did you obtain/purchase this list of home addresses?

Kevin, you obviously have not had much experience with good customer service. lol

You should have just said you were sorry, told the nice people it would never happen again, and then offered a free cigar to whoever was spammed without their permission.

Telling people this happens all the time, telling them you are a sponsor and we should be grateful that you are keeping this site running; telling people this is marketing 101, talking to people with a condescending attitude is not the right way to win customers.

Do not bother emailing me when you get more PAM's in. I don't do business with people who talk down to me like you did.

KevinWHoecker said:
It's called direct marketing, advertising 101. Happens all the time. Our marketing guy did it. He also made sure stamps went on all of them. I am mind boggled how a post card would come with postage due.

If you don't like deals, throw it out. Cigar International does it, Thompson Cigar does it, JR Cigars does it. If you dont like their deals either, thrown them out. The list was of known cigar smokers. Of course there are going to be some of you on it. You smoke cigars and you obviously spend a lot of time on the internet. There were about 10,000 names on it.

Margins on cigars, due to increased competition are less and less, if you only knew what 10% off of already low prices was in this business maybe you wouldn't complain about it and appreciate it more. Many of you took a neutral stance on it and I appreciate that. I have monitored who spoke strongly against it and have made the marketing guy take you off the list.

Further, it is companies like mine that keep Cigar Pass up and running. Believe it or not, we are your sponsors. We send money to Rod each and every month to see to it that you guys can continue to write back and forth to each other and talk about what we all love, cigars. I saw some of you tearing apart the guy from Cigar One the other day also. He is also a sponsor. It is amazing what some of you write over this forum that you would never say in person.
[snapback]217155[/snapback]​

An attitude like that isn't going to win you any customers.

I found mine today...the wife tends to not let me know when I get coupons :). I assumed that he got my address from the forums since he is a sponsor but hey I knowingly put my addy up there so I was not mad...Oh and the stamp was still on mine ;).

Anyway I have never dealt with the guy though my wife says that is where she got the humidor she gave me for christmas which is pretty nice and I know she got a decent price. Since I can not comment on Kevin and I have never ordered from him directly. I would say I will not knock 10% off any day of the week. Just MHO really. Getting that in the mail was better than another damn re-mortgage your home loan letter :D

Kevin is at it again!!! I’d like to take this opportunity to remind the audience assembled here about how this guy has conducted himself literally since the day he got here:

Lars Teton fiasco:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...pic=13877&st=20

He knowingly puts out troll bait, admits it and tries to defend himself with a bunch of BS. Kenny directly warned him that he should not do this.

Padron 1926 “Anniversary” fiasco:

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...topic=14177&hl=

I point out to this guy that he misidentified a Padron 1926 and he’s gets nasty and posts this:

This thread would have been much more interesting if people such as coventry kitty cat focused on the question that I asked rather than venting his frustration brought about by his dead end job and lack of a girl friend. Anyone else agree?

This particular thread speaks volumes about what kind of a poor “business man” AND what kind of an arrogant, thick headed braggart ole Kevin is . He was completely out of line and instead of admitting it at first, he dug his heels in, got defensive and tried to “Scotty” his way out of the hole he dug for himself.

Oh and at the end of this thread, StrayVector noticed how he stole some of the content on his site from CigarGroup without their permission. Once again, instead of admitting he was wrong, he tried to bull$hit his way out of it then completely ignored it.

Now we have the “post card” fiasco where once again, good ole Kevin is digging his heels in trying to defend himself AND probably lying while doing it. I absolutely, positively DO NOT believe that he sent out over 10,000 post cards. I didn’t receive a post card from him because I told him in the Padron 1926 “Anniversary” thread that I would never do business with him.

Kevin, what you did by taking addresses out of CigarPass member's profiles and sending them post cards is sleazy. When this was brought to your attention, once again, you try and lie and bull$hit your way out of it instead of just admitting that what you did was wrong.

Personally this is why I think you're a complete loser who cannot be trusted. I have absolutely no use for people like you.

Kevin, you will never learn will you?

coventrycat86 said:
Oh and at the end of this thread, StrayVector noticed how he stole some of the content on his site from CigarGroup without their permission. Once again, instead of admitting he was wrong, he tried to bull$hit his way out of it then completely ignored it.

It's my understanding that the legal owner of said content was less than pleased by his stealing of their material.

Personally this is why I think you're a complete loser who cannot be trusted. I have absolutely no use for people like you.
[snapback]217692[/snapback]​

He hasn't exactly been making friends and influencing people.

coventrycat86 said:
This particular thread speaks volumes about what kind of a poor “business man” AND what kind of an arrogant, thick headed braggart ole Kevin is . He was completely out of line and instead of admitting it at first, he dug his heels in, got defensive and tried to “Scotty” his way out of the hole he dug for himself.

Well one good thing came out of this whole ordeal at least: Now I finally know what the term "Scotty" means!

bchem said:
Well one good thing came out of this whole ordeal at least: Now I finally know what the term "Scotty" means!
[snapback]217763[/snapback]​

See, everyone is good for something! :laugh:

I'm glad I got my coupon in the mail, it actually got me interested in cigars again. I ordered my first humi and I will be buying some sticks once my income gets up a bit. (I ordered my humi from cigar international I think, the post cards prices were too high!)

i think what this comes down to is trust.
when i joined this forum and looked at some profiles i was shocked!
people actually had their HOME adress right there for all to see.
before coming here i would NEVER -AHEM-NEVER had posted my name and adress on the internet.
when i did actually put it in my profile my girlfriend told me i was nuts.
but i assured her it HAD to be safe with people like this, i.e. cigar smokers,
that information would be kept for personal reasons.

there is a lot of risk involved with sharing that information with the world.
there are far worse people will do with you adress than send you mail.

like i said its trust.

i think you have lost a lot of peoples trust kevin and if they dont trust you they wont buy from you

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.