• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Prayers and happy thoughts please

bilder

I have a decision to make in the next few weeks.

I work in the airline industry, which is not the best place to be right now.

Anyway, I have been offered an early out package by the airline. I could take it and walk out of here with 6 months pay, medical benefits for 6 months and flight benefits for 7 years.

Part of me wants to take the money and run. I could be debt free and still be able to pay the rent for several months and have cash to spare. I don't make tons of money, so jobs in my pay range are somewhat easy to find. I am just not sure if it would be the best move due to what is happening with the economy right now. Alaska is somewhat insulated from most of the mess, but we still feel the aftershocks of what happens in the lower 48.

Part of me wants to stay. Been here for nearly 14 years and have not looked for a job in quite awhile. Steady paycheck (for now) versus the unknown.

I would like to submit for your consideration something that has happened here in the Midwest. Previously, major corporations have offered buyouts and some of the people that declined their offer, found themselves laid off with nothing.

I would like to submit for your consideration something that has happened here in the Midwest. Previously, major corporations have offered buyouts and some of the people that declined their offer, found themselves laid off with nothing.

That was going to be what i brought up. It seems like if you could start looking now and have something lined up fairly soon that would be a win/win. But I don't know how feasible that is for you. Good Luck searching.

Just read an interesting article that may apply. A research group interviewed several hundred senior citizens, ranging in age from 65 - 102, and asked the question, "If you could change one thing that happened in your life, what would it be?" The overwhelming response was that they wished they had taken more chances! It did not matter whether it was in their personal, private, or business lives; they almost all stated that they wished they would have stepped out of their "comfort zone" more often.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do!!

Take the money and your experience and go for it. 14 years is a lot of experience and when you pay off all your debt even if the new job pays a little less you will have no debt to worry about rp

Take the money and your experience and go for it. 14 years is a lot of experience and when you pay off all your debt even if the new job pays a little less you will have no debt to worry about rp

Agreed!

I've been in that position...find something else that will maintain your way of living but keep one eye open and keep floating your resume!!!

Hope it all works out!! Prayers sent.

~ t

The other issue is...if you take the package you will have income for 6 months. During this time you will be interviewing for other jobs.

People interview much more confidently when they are not desperate. That fact that you will have a compensation package while you are interviewing you make you a much more relaxed and at ease during the interview process. You will also be less likly to take a job you don't really want because you have a cushion to fall back on.

Some very good advice all around. I wish you the best in whatever you decide. Hopefully something better is in your future so good thoughts are going your way.

Find out what your Cobra payments will be for insurance. In this day and age, you just can't afford to let your insurance lapse. You will need to budget for this in the event that you are not in a new job in three months. (most employers have a 30-90 day waiting period)

You may be able to extend the six months by agreeing to the package effective Dec 1 for example. That would add an extra month and a half.

Change is arguably the best thing you can do.

However, before you leave your current, what appears to be, secure position, ensure that you have another plan in place. Six months is the blink of an eye.
Get a home business or another job secured first, even if it's 2 months later. Take a break you deserve it but know that there will be income and when.

Brian

Thanks for the tips. Been thinking many of them over already, but it is good to hear it from someone else. I am going to be getting a packet in the mail that has the COBRA amounts listed in a day or two.

One thing I am mulling around is going to Auctioneer School. I have been around auctions all my life and have always thought about going into the business.

Man I am not going to be able to sleep for a few days with all the options to consider...

I have until November 24th to make up my mind, so I have a few weeks to weigh my options.

You could use that six months to retool (like training for being an auctioneer)...I know in 2000 when I was last unemployed I used the time to get a network certification from Microsoft...helped me increase my employability and salary potential..it sucks to feel like your in limbo..but concentrate on the opportunities of this break versus the downside....good luck...cheers

One thing I am mulling around is going to Auctioneer School. I have been around auctions all my life and have always thought about going into the business.

This would have been nice information to have for the "What hat should Mike wear" contest :sign:

Good luck in what ever you choose, these guys gave all the good advice I could have come up with. Auctioneer school sounds pretty cool.

I would take it and take some online college courses just to broaden my horizons a bit.

Good luck!!

I just drove from Anchorage to Seward this morning -- Alaska is beautiful, but the pass is a bitch when it snows.

As for your predicament, if you were contemplating a job change anyway, take the money and run... just don't be stupid with how you spend it.

The airline I work for is opening a base in HNL. Stores positions available I'm sure. :cool:

Good Luck