• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre-Embargo Byron St. James Specials...

davidr2340

Craft Beer Lover...
Ok guys,
A good buddy of mine just got back from vacation in California. He bought one of these sticks for me, from here, for a X-mas gift. Are any of you familiar with these? Are they the 'real deal'? It came with quite a price tag, if that listed price is what he paid!!! :0

PreEmbargoByronSt-3.jpg

PreEmbargoByronSt-2.jpg

PreEmbargoByronSt-1.jpg

PreEmbargoByronSt.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!!! :thumbs:
THANKS!!!

EDIT - Added pictures...

Check this out, first picture....

LINK

That could be the same brand as you have (though I'm sure your's isn't quite that old), or it could be another brand (brands named after famous folk were a dime a dozen and often several existed at the same time, but in different markets).

And HERE, "Byron" is listed as a registered brand in Cuba.

Not sure if the "Habana" on the brand means much. Nowadays, any cigar that has that on the brand is made in Cuba with Cuban tobacco, but I'm not sure if that was the case back then. A lot of so-called "Havana cigars" were actually "clear Havanas," cigars made outside of Cuba with either all Cuban tobacco or a blend of Cuban and other tobaccos.

Sometimes, clear Havanas were made by a major Cuban brand (such as Fonseca or La Corona) who operated factories in Havana and in other places, such as New York, Philadelphia, or Tampa.

Your's is most likely an all-Cuban-tobacco cigar, though I have no idea if Byron had rolling factories in other countries or just in Cuba.

Hopefully someone else can shed some more light on this brand.

Either way, that's one hell of a friend you have!

Here's some more info I found!

I just happened to be browsing through Min Ron Nee's book this evening when I came across the Montecristo section and something caught my eye.

The Particulares factory in Havana in the 1930's produced two brands: the eponymous Particulares and another brand...Byron! This factory and its brands were bought by a gentleman named Alonso Menendez, who shortly thereafter created the famous Montecristo brand, would later go into business with partner Jose "Pepe" Garcia, and purchase the H. Upmann factory.

After the acquisition of H. Upmann and the change of the name of the firm from Particulares SA to Menendez, Garcia y Cia., it's not known for sure if they still kept the Particulares and Byron brands, but assumed so.

So there you go...that little baby has a famous pedigree.

Damn bro...
I appreciate the detective work!!! :thumbs: I couldn't find ANYTHING!!!

Thanks!!!

Damn bro...

Thanks!!!

... and the website says it's a pre-embargo cigar, interesting. I've seen that shop before, I think it's right around the corner from the Opera House, unfortunately it was closed the last time I was out there. I'll stop by the next time I'm in the area, thanks for the link.

:cool:

Damn bro...

Thanks!!!

... and the website says it's a pre-embargo cigar, interesting. I've seen that shop before, I think it's right around the corner from the Opera House, unfortunately it was closed the last time I was out there. I'll stop by the next time I'm in the area, thanks for the link.

No problem...
My buddy said they had a pretty big walk-in, but he's not a smoker so... YMMV!!!

And very such an old cigar, it is in amazingly good condition! I'll bet that's real gold foil on the band and it looks it's been stored in a dark place for a long time, as the red ink doesn't seem to have faded a bit.

And very such an old cigar, it is in amazingly good condition! I'll bet that's real gold foil on the band and it looks it's been stored in a dark place for a long time, as the red ink doesn't seem to have faded a bit.

That's the thing... I would think a stick this old, would look it? I think I am going to give the shop a call tomorrow, and see if they can tell me a little more about how they got them...

So besides being "pre embargo" just how old do you think these are?

The Particulares factory in Havana in the 1930's produced two brands: the eponymous Particulares and another brand...Byron! This factory and its brands were bought by a gentleman named Alonso Menendez, who shortly thereafter created the famous Montecristo brand, would later go into business with partner Jose "Pepe" Garcia, and purchase the H. Upmann factory. .....

(So, I wonder, is Menendez' the same guy as "our" Jose "Pepin" Garcia??? I suppose we could ask Pepin . . . .)

I am an idiot. :whistling: OUR Jose Garcia wasn't born until 1950. THAT Jose Garcia is Jose Manuel "Pepe" Garcia. Sorry for the dumbass attack. :blush:

Carry on!

The cigar looks aweful new to be almost 50 years old. Makes one wonder.

BUMP!!!

Damn bro...

Thanks!!!

Hey David... you get chance to stop by this shop yet?
Also, any other opinions on this smoke?

Thanks all!!!