• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

pre-embargo cubans what are they

[OT] ykm loki

I just picked up a "pre-embargo" cuban yesterday. I don't know what it is but the gentleman at the store said it was a decent stick. What should I expect out of this stick and what, exactly is it?

Do a search for "Pinar" and you'll probably get all the info you need. But, in a nutshell, even if there really is pre-embargo Cuban tobacco in the cigar, it's not going to taste anywhere near a quality Cuban cigar.

If it is indeed a Pinar, then the general consensus around here is that they are garbage. I haven't had one myself so I can't personally attest to that.

If they were Pinars, they suck, have a draw so loose you can drive a truck though 'em, and taste nasty. My wife got me 9 of them as a gift (per the owner's recommendation), I smoked one of them (or attempted to), got 3/4" in, then tossed it. Barf city!!

My B&M took the others back, and gave me store credit on all 9. They said they thought they were good, but if I was unhappy, it wasn't a problem for them, they had other buyers for them.

$5 a stick.....they charged my wife $20 per stick :whistling: :angry2:

Yup, hit the search button, look up Pinar, it's a good primer!

ykm loki' date='May 17 2006, 07:24 PM' post='322675']
if I post pics would you guys be able to tell me what it is?
post away

if you like them smoke them but they arent all that great

When I was in ocean city, MD, this cat at a local tobacco shop gave me the whole song and dance about how he cuban tobacco was discovered locked away since the 60s, then he proceeded to try to charge me $20 a stick! His story was so good, I almost bought it. I'm glad I didn't.

ykm loki' date='May 17 2006, 07:37 PM' post='322642']
I just picked up a "pre-embargo" cuban yesterday. I don't know what it is but the gentleman at the store said it was a decent stick. What should I expect out of this stick and what, exactly is it?
If it is Pinar and you are getting them at 5 and change, at least they didn't rip you off too bad. I am sure some one here could advise you on quality ISOM's. :whistling: Most people would at least tell you what not to buy. Especially those with @)))+ posts. ;)

Emo

I seen at a B&M the other day Gurkha 1950 pre embargo cuban cigar. Do you guys know anything about these?

I have had the Gurkha pre-embargo. Terrible cigar.
They probably use regular tobacco and put scraps of pre-embargo and than chagre you and arm and a leg for them.

Save your cash and get a Tatuaje.
For the money I would rather smoke a real embargoed Cuban.

Just to add to the confusion, there are real genuine pre-embargo cigars available that have a history, have been well-taken care of and are quite possibly a very nice smoke. My local B&M has a few boxes of cigars from the late 1950's that were purchased as part of an estate sale...supposedly from Ernie Kovacks (you youngsters can Google him). The least expensive one is $175/stick and the most expensive is $350/stick. I've only seen the special case they are in opened once and that was when the store owner was showing the boxes and cigars to the owner of Camacho cigars...I stood behind them and watched and listened (the conversation was all in Spanish which I don't speak).

MR Nee (famous cigar book author) is a huge proponent of long-term storage. After reading his book, it seems very probable that he personally has cigars this old that are excellent smokes. Properly cared for, a cigar could last decades and even get better with age.

It is possible (in theory anyway) to smoke a pre-embargo cigar that would be excellent. It's fairly unlikely that you will find them for $5 or even $20 per stick.

I think if you had the money and were willing to pay auction prices, you could probably pick some up from Christies or a similar high-end auction house.

To further add to the confusion, there is a cigar brand named "Genuine Pre-embargo Counterfeit Cuban"...these cigars are available at places like JR's and are regular non-Cuban cigars. Mixed reviews on these (I had one, it was ok) with most folks on the "yeechhh" side of the good/bad range.

Another local B&M has a similar "pre-embargo" tobacco cigar..they are not expensive and not terrible smokes..nothing special.

Happy Hunting!

edits:typo

I was just thinking, and to me, all of my cubans in my humi are "pre-embargo"
aahhhh...God bless Canada :p

There's a B&M chain in NJ that I frequent and they have a "pre-embargo" smoke that goes for $6.00 a stick.
I guess it ain't really a p-e Habano, but I like 'em a lot and pick up 5 or 6 whenever I go there.

Just to clarify my earlier post. If you are okay with paying whatever price you paid and actually enjoy the cigar, that's one thing. But, it irks me that the manufacturers and some shops try to take advantage of people by making the cigars seem like something they are not. Besides, for about $5-$6 a stick you can buy a real ISOM that will be much better than any "pre-embargo" cigar you can find at your local B&M.

I'm staying with friends in texas right now and the house isn't quite "cigar friendly" so I havn't smoked it yet. I may try to get some smoke time in tomorrow and if I like it, maybe pick up a few more before I head home