• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pre-Release Viaje Platino Perfecto²

MindRiot

Ok Guys I normally do not post reviews because I sort of suck at it but here it goes anyway.

This cigar is a pre-release (set for a late June release) after opening the box and looking at the cigar I didn't even give it time to rest in my humidor from shipping. This cigar is going out to only the top Viaje Accounts and only 55 boxes of each blend will be produced, so 55 boxes of Oro and 55 boxes of Platino. Each cedar cabinet box comes with 50 of these bad boys in it and the sizes are 5 1/4 x 52 for the Oro and a 6 x 50 for the Platino. So I am reviewing the Platino blend and size. Sorry I have had several glasses of Rum while getting pictures ready so this may be a cluster.

Viaje Platino²

6 x 50

Wrapper- 1999 Corojo Nicaraguan
Binder- Nicaraguan
Filler-Nicaraguan

Ok so the pre-light flavor was that signature well aged Nicaraguan Earthy flavor with a hint of spice. After clipping both ends (due to the cigar being a true Perfecto) I quickly took a draw from it and a nice spice/pepper pre-light flavor came through. I could tell this Viaje was not going to taste like the regular line due to the shape and size. Once lit the cigar burned awesome btw, but the flavor I was familiar with was enhanced by this shape. Maybe it was the time of day or the possible excitement of the pre-release cigar but the flavor, strength and complexity was kicked up a notch. About a inch into the cigar a real cinnamon pepper flavor starting coming through and I knew I was in for a treat. You know you are smoking a quality cigar when less than half way through you have about 10 customers comment on the great smell of the cigar. They all asked where they were in the humidor so I walked them in and showed them where they WILL BE ( I'm evil that way hehe) then explained what the deal was and how I have this one.

Ok so fast forward to half way down, all I can say is WoW wish I had another 1 so I could try again on Tuesday. The complexity of the cigar really started to kick in, no longer is the cinnamon pepper there but the real earthy natural tobacco was on the front of flavors. Everyone knows the story of Viaje and where they are made but just in case here it is

(Hand-crafted in the Casa Fernandez factory, Platino is a medium-bodied cigar boasting a dark and oily Corojo 99 cover leaf. Beneath this leaf, a complex, Cuban-seed mixture of Nicaraguan grade "A" long-leaf tobaccos are secured within two bold Nicaraguan binders. Each cigar is finished with a Cuban triple cap, delivering a rich and hearty array of flavors, including leather, roasted coffee and spice.)

I can honestly say while smoke this cigar to the very end it never got bitter and only improved on flavor and complexity. The leather, coffee and spice started about 3/4 in and it really finished like I had smoked 3 similar cigars. I love when you smoke a cigar and it transitions in 3 or 4 stages and this one hit the spot. Also keep in mind I had smoked about 4 cigars prior to this and only drank water while smoking it. Sorry for the odd review but I think the rum may have gotten the best of me by now. Below are some pictures.

uncut.jpg

cut.jpg

oneinchin.jpg

halfin.jpg

nubbed.jpg

Enjoy,
KP

will do, i hope Andre will sell me a box for my personal stash. btw i suck at reviews lol, sorry. gotcha covered bro.

Thanks for the review. Beautiful cigar, hope to get to try one. The few I have tried from this line were pretty good, IMHO.

Ken

Thanks for the review Kevin. Definitely LMK when they are available, got to have a few.

Brian

Holy MOLY! :D I actually thought the Platino was a little too mild for my palate, enjoying the Oro better due to its extra strength. This sounds like it may just be the perfect fit, possibly somewhere in between? Gorgeous cigar, excellent review! Thanks!

Thanks for the review, this stick looks really yummy. I'm a fan pretty big fan of the Platino. Hope to see these at my local place soon... MARK.

Looks like several rums did you well. Excellent review. I've never tried a Viaje, but you have me curious.

Yep I prefer the Oro blend myself however this size really helped the Platino bridge that gap a little closer. The spice was a little more up front than the regular production. I really want to try the Oro blend, hopefully Andre will send me one to taste and review. If it is kicked up a little more like the Platino was then I may have found a new favorite.

Nice job Kevin...keep that Rum handy for future reviews!

I like the Platino when I don't want a powerhouse smoke while I drink scotch...a little more flavor sounds like a perfect blend.

Add me to that short list to sample these too, they sound like something I'd enjoy.

yep as soon as i get pricing i will put together a 5 pack sampler of each blend and maybe a 6 pack or 10 pack including 3 or 5 of each blend. Hell you guys let me know how you want em.

Kevin

It is indeed a beautiful looking cigar.

If I didn't have a head cold, I would smoke this beauty!

Mark at Tower beat me to the pre-sell of these and the lanceros. However we will be doing all 3 of the cigars as well, just pm/email or call to place a order. We will not charge your cards until we ship.

Lanceros will be here around June 2nd or 3rd and the perfecto squared will be end of June.

Mark at Tower beat me to the pre-sell of these and the lanceros. However we will be doing all 3 of the cigars as well, just pm/email or call to place a order. We will not charge your cards until we ship.

Lanceros will be here around June 2nd or 3rd and the perfecto squared will be end of June.

For the new guys here!

Kevin at Silo cigars is one hell of great retailer and a good person to have a a friend.

He will treat you right.

If you can't get what you need because Kevin is sold out, send me a PM

these are very limited and only a few retailers will have these!

Good job on the review Kev!

Mark

Thats a very good review. You have sparked my interest. Guess I gotta wait a bit for these to come out.