• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pricing

Pompous Pugs

As I wait patiently to get enough posts to be received into a Pass here. I was curious about the "pricing" issue.

I have noticed that some request $3-$7 stix, or $1 stix, etc. What are people basing those prices off of.

Example, most of what I have gathered over the past few months have been either through samplers, the newbie-trade, and other means where I am not buying a single stix. Therefore, I would not be familiar with how much one cigar would cost.

And: I would not want to be that guy who drops a Swisher Sweet in a Pass, while taking a few ISOMs.

Is there a general rule of thumb for pricing you guys use on CP? MSRP, Purchase price, divide the number in a box for what was paid, etc.

MSRP and the rarety of a cigar are the main points. Age can also be a factor. Ussually it's Cubans for Cubans and NC's for NC's. Hope that helps some.

MSRP is one way. This site is a great place to go get general and specific information:

CigarCyclopedia

Sometimes when dealing with NC's I reduce the Take and Put prices to the JR Cigars price. The important thing is to maintain the same basis for transactions.

When swapping NC's for Cubans (when allowed), I think it's reasonable to apply a factor of 1.25-1.33 to compensate for the risks of procurement and incremental value due to "Cuban-ness." So, for example, a $6 Cuban could be traded for a NC of $7.50-8.00 in value. This is just my guideline and may not work for everyone. Rare or special sticks have value beyond MSRP and I'd consider those on a case-by-case basis. I'd love to hear what others have to say.

However, there is one bottom line recourse that is almost always a good move. PM a senior or knowledgeable member with your proposed P/T and seek an impartial opinion.

Wilkey

Just to clarify:

My swisher-ISOM was meant for hyperbole not for an actual NC-Cuban swap.
Thanks for the resources, and rarity/age factors (where would I find rarity)

You can also never go wrong with looking online and takeing the average price and how easy it is to find.

Also everything is dependant on the HOST of the pass. It is good ettiquette to ask the host if a certain put or take is ok if you you are unsure of a trade value.

ALWAYS unless noted otherwise.

DOMESTIC FOR DOMESTIC
PREMIUM FOR PREMIUM
RARE CIGAR FOR RARE CIGAR
HABANO FOR HABANO
PRICE range FOR PRICE range (market price ..just because you paid 40 for a shark does not mean it is a 40.oo dollar cigar etc etc)

And never quantity for quality.

And rarity can be a big factor. For example just because an Anejo Shark msrp's at $8 it doesn't mean you can call it an even trade for an $8 CAO.

Very seldom, except in your head, does it matter what you paid for the cigar.

Pompous Pugs said:
Just to clarify:

My swisher-ISOM was meant for hyperbole not for an actual NC-Cuban swap. 
Thanks for the resources, and rarity/age factors (where would I find rarity)
[snapback]285867[/snapback]​

I think everyone understood the hyperbole don't worry. I am not sure how to answer the (where would I find rarity) part. If you mean how do I find rare cigars, then stick around a while you will get the hook-up. If you mean how do I find out if a cigar is rare then, stick around a while you will get that info too.

somewhat rare cigars- opus X, Anejo, Tatuaje, Padilla miami
very rare- unreleased cigars, prototypes, cuban davidoffs and the like

I've got a question for the box pass pro's.

You mention the value of a stick being a consideration when putting something in for what has been taken. Are you talking about the single stick purchase price, or the price of a stick when purchased with a whole box?

Stick prices when purchased with a box are lower than if bought as singles.

Thanks.

Herfin Bigdog said:
I've got a question for the box pass pro's.

You mention the value of a stick being a consideration when putting something in for what has been taken. Are you talking about the single stick purchase price, or the price of a stick when purchased with a whole box?

Stick prices when purchased with a box are lower than if bought as singles.

Thanks.
[snapback]286817[/snapback]​

I don't think it would matter as long as you figure out the price the same way for both cigars.

Fyodor's right on. When looking at price, you must measure both cigars with the same measuring stick.

Gonz said:
Fyodor's right on. When looking at price, you must measure both cigars with the same measuring stick.
[snapback]286855[/snapback]​
Correctamundo. So, say you are looking to trade for a domestic CAO Brazilla. You can check that cigar's MSRP against what you wanted to trade's MSRP. Or if a cigar's MSRP isn't listed you may be able to test against it's current value vs. the one you are looking to put. But use the same litmus test; check both cigars from the same source. Some sources are:

www.regencycigars.com
www.cigarsinternational.com
www.jrcigars.com
www.atlanticcigar.com

If in doubt, or if you can't find the cigars you are looking to compare, ask the Host of the pass. S/he is going to be the final judge. Just be in communication w/ the Host, and if the Host approves it, you should be golden. If the Host is in question about the trade, sometimes the request will be made to post it in the thread to see what other people think.

But remember, this is a website focused around Cigar Passes. So, chances are this question has come up before. The search function is your friend; use it. Heck, this topic is even discussed in a pinned thread in the Cigar Passes forum.
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=3810

Thanks,
- C

How do I keep from a long dissertation. I'll just bullet it.

- Take box price and divide by the # of sticks. Do this for the 3 lowest prices you can find on a box, then average the prices.
- Then check the availability. If it is a limited release, say 25,000 sticks or less, then it commands a premium, as they are not easily obtainable. Anywhere from %25 to %50 is normal.
- For aged sticks, I take prime rate, add %3, and compound yearly. There are calulators online that do compound. Regardless, aged sticks command a premium. 2 years is what I considered aged. You get the idea.
- Always leave the boxpass better than you found it. Simple as adding a second container. If the cigars are wet, let them air out. If they are dry, add humidty. Thiscould be as simple as telling the host that there could be a problem w/ humidity, and that you would like to hold them in the cooler until they settle. Trust me, the host will most likely let you hold on to them for up to 5-7 days to protect them from split wrappers.
- Host bags are ok on average. Just keep them to 1 cigar that is equal to the average cigar in the pass.
- When in doubt about rare or aged cigars, PM a BOTL w/ experience before the box gets to you.

Emo

emodx said:

- Take box price and divide by the # of sticks. Do this for the 3 lowest prices you can find on a box, then average the prices.
- Then check the availability. If it is a limited release, say 25,000 sticks or less, then it commands a premium, as they are not easily obtainable. Anywhere from %25 to %50 is normal.
- For aged sticks, I take prime rate, add %3, and compound yearly. There are calulators online that do compound. Regardless, aged sticks command a premium. 2 years is what I considered aged. You get the idea.
- Always leave the boxpass better than you found it. Simple as adding a second container. If the cigars are wet, let them air out. If they are dry, add humidty. Thiscould be as simple as telling the host that there could be a problem w/ humidity, and that you would like to hold them in the cooler until they settle. Trust me, the host will most likely let you hold on to them for up to 5-7 days to protect them from split wrappers.
- Host bags are ok on average. Just keep them to 1 cigar that is equal to the average cigar in the pass.
- When in doubt about rare or aged cigars, PM a BOTL w/ experience before the box gets to you.

Emo
[snapback]287762[/snapback]​

HOLY CRAP! Thanks for the info Gentlemen!

Now, what were we talking about again? :whistling:

;)

Herfin Bigdog said:
emodx said:

- For aged sticks, I take prime rate, add %3, and compound yearly. There are calulators online that do compound. Regardless, aged sticks command a premium.  2 years is what I considered aged. You get the idea.

Emo
[snapback]287762[/snapback]​

HOLY CRAP! Thanks for the info Gentlemen!

Now, what were we talking about again? :whistling:

;)
[snapback]288138[/snapback]​
I am going to write a passer's guide in .doc or .pdf which will cover everything there is to know. I am sure this will take me a while as I am not as skooled in inglesh as CC. But I am sure it will be a great help to those starting out.

emo knows of what he speaks.

fyodor makes a good point of not comparing apples to oranges ie: if you live in high tax state don't use the price you paid in a b&m for your puts and an online site for your takes.

It may not be possible to match everything out exactly so at least use the total prices for the Ps/Ts as a guide ie: if you can only put an $8 for a $9 take make sure that somewhere's else you put a $6 for a $5 take. Not all hosts might agree to this, so check first.

Good pricing info, guys. One other thing besides pricing, and not to threadjack, is to see what variety I can add to a pass. I almost always will look first at the hosts initial cigars since the point is variety and why send cigars all around the country just to get the same ones back :)

I will also look at the hosts and participants' down the lines wish lists to see what would spice things up.

HudsonValley's post makes a great point, since we're talking about pricing relative to puts in a pass. You should always look at what other cigars are in the pass, and what have been taken already. Except maybe in the case of really rare cigars you should try to avoid putting anything in a pass that is alread there. I don't know anyone here who wouldn't mind getting 2 sharks back, but then again they most likely wouldn't make it back to the host anyway!

And please read the thread pinned in the Open Cigar Passes section regarding puts/takes.

Back