• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Prime Rib Recipes

grateful1

Oh My!
Here's a link to Ray's - linky.

Here's a link to one on CF I'm going to modify:

This was off of CF but appears on some recipe sites. I don't have 3-4 days as Ray's is done... but will look at that in January! :thumbs:

"I used 1/4 cup of kosher salt and 6 finely chopped up cloves of garlic on the outside. Mix the salt and garlic and pack it onto the outside of the meat (bone down). Then I ground a ton of black pepper all over the top and added 1/4 cup of water in the bowl.

Real easy, preheat oven to 500 slide in the bowl and let go for 15-20 minutes depending on how crusty you want it, then turn down the heat to 350 (do not open the oven). Let cook at 350 for 20 minutes per pound to get a medium finish. Adjust time either way (or use a thermometer) to get to your desired doneness. Once done take out and let sit for 15 minutes then carve away!"

He used a bowl...I'll be using a rack and pan. I'll be using enough for a 3 or 4 bone cut and cook to med. rare.

Also, I'll cut some slits in the top and rub some mix in there as well.

Please post any recipes that you've found and like!

Mashed 'taters is a must and I like french cut green beans and a tomato and onion salad. Don't forget my blue cheese garnish either.

You don't need a recipe to cook a prime rib. You need a good thermometer. The kind you can stick in the roast and monitor the temp. from the outside. Start at a high temp. 425 is plenty for about 30 min. Then turn down to 350 and roast until the internal temp is 124. Let it stand for 20 min. Residual heat will cook the roast to around 130 or so. Perfect for all but the most squeamish.

Doc

Your right about the thermometer Doc...I've a good one for that!

And Ray, yup...mashed, greens and I may try the Blue Cheese thingy....and some horseradish!

:thumbs:

Not trying to stray off the topic of prime rib, but thought I'd throw in my $.02 on mashed potatoes.

Like pasta or pizza dough, the humble potato is a blank canvas for anything you'd like to do with them. I go with whatever my gut tells me at the time, but one of my faves includes salt, pepper, light cream, lots of butter, sour cream, shaved parmasean and a whole lot of roasted garlic.

You'll never guess what was on sale today :whistling:

Here's a tip for mash potatoes. Most recipes call for the addition of some sort of fat, be it butter, cream, cream cheese, etc.
I will take the boiled potatoes and cut them up into cubes. Then I place them in a big pan, and place in a 200-250 degree oven for a good 15 minutes to half hour. This pulls some more of the water out of the potato, and makes them soak up the fats a lot better. Take out of the oven, and carry on with whatever recipe you choose.