• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Probably an age old debate... 65% v 70% RH

Eryxis

When searching for the answer I can't find what I want. It says that my search terms are too short. Anyway if somebody can point me to a post about this it would help, or explain it to me here. I'm looking to set up a small Coolidor and will be using the beads. I just don't know what % to get, I see most people have 65%, but a lot of things i read say 70% is best. I have 0 cigars right now, I'm looking to get my storage set up then take part in the newbie sampler. Is it necessary to have 2 different humidity storage areas?

Ery

Eryxis, this really depends on personal preference. I think many smokers have found that they prefer to keep their cigars at 65%. The lower humidity and slightly drier cigars burn more like I would prefer than they do at 70%. You may find that you like your sticks a little more moist. I would recommend starting with 70%. If you find that you would like for the cigar to be more dry you can just take it out of the humidor the night before to let the rh level lower. This process is often referred to as "dry-boxing". I have a small ten stick humidor that has no humidification that i use for dry boxing, however, you don't have to actually put the cigar in a box. I hope this at least gives you an idea of how to proceed. Good luck and welcome to the obsession :D

Okay here is a freebie, do a search on humidity in the humidor section.

Simple but very effective and yes it has been discussed since the beginning of CP. YMMV

thanks for the keyword tip.(although humidity is in just about every post in the humidor forum).. i found the information, but not before reading through 10 pages and going back to march. Also the title wasn't particularly well labeled, but since it was interesting enough in the first place I clicked it. I'm still curious if the majority of people have multiple RH storage solutions.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=humidity

thanks for the keyword tip.(although humidity is in just about every post in the humidor forum).. i found the information, but not before reading through 10 pages and going back to march. Also the title wasn't particularly well labeled, but since it was interesting enough in the first place I clicked it. I'm still curious if the majority of people have multiple RH storage solutions.

Good you passed the first test, more to follow.

Excellent.

The 'search' function is working! :thumbs:

We appreciate you testing it out for us. :rolleyes:

It appeared broken. :(

It's all about knowing the right keyword. As 65% and 75% can't even be searched, nor can RH ( and it never seems to be expanded to Relative Humidity).

Ery

Hate to ruin your day, but there is also the 60% option, which some swear by.

Doc.

ARGH!!! Ok not really. I've decided I'm gonna buy some 65% to start with and if something doesn't seem to work about them I'll get some 70%, it's just money right?

Ery

ARGH!!! Ok not really. I've decided I'm gonna buy some 65% to start with and if something doesn't seem to work about them I'll get some 70%, it's just money right?

Ery

Wait until you start getting into "dry boxing". :cool:

I keep my cigars in a garbage bag with a wet sponge. It seems to work out well enough, although sometimes the cigars end up a little bit too 'spongy'. I really don't have the time/money/willingness to investigate building a cooler and you can just wipe off the mold when it comes. If it gets into the foot of the cigar you can just clip the foot, they make them extra long for a reason.

In the advanced search option there's also the ability to look at searches by posts instead of the ENTIRE thread. You'll be given the name of the thread that that post belongs to which should help you weed out relevant posts.

Now that the heat is on in my house, the RH in my desktops have dropped to around 60. (58-60) That's with the puck a water pillow, and a humi pack in it. (It usually holds steady at 67) I'm guessing it is do to the drier air in the house from the central heat. But even at that lower RH, they still smoke great, I'm having one now, and have had no problems. So I guess it's up to you.

Edited because I can't spell.

If you don't do 65%, you're a waste of amino acids.

...and probably a Democrat.

Thank God I have found out that 65% is "my" preference. I was keeping them at 70% but the burn was too long...It was taking me an hour to smoke sticks that brothers were saying took them 1/2 hr - 45min...65% gave me a much better burn at the pace that I was looking for. I'm afraid to go to 60% and dry them out to ruin. Especially after what I just stuffed into my vino :)

My .01 cents...ain't worth much...but there it is.

I used to be a 70% kinda guy, but my personal preference for Cuban Cigars especially is 65%. Burns a lot easier, but the flavour is sometimes dulled at a lower RH. 65% is a good in-between.

I used to be a 70% kinda guy, but my personal preference for Cuban Cigars especially is 65%. Burns a lot easier, but the flavour is sometimes dulled at a lower RH. 65% is a good in-between.

Agreed - thats why I like the fuller bodied sticks, makes up for some of that lost taste, also sweeter if you go with Maduros/.....

Hate to ruin your day, but there is also the 60% option, which some swear by.

Doc.
LOL
Yup, I keep mine between 60 and 65%.

and one more thing
Eryxis, don't get too anal about keeping your humidity rock solid at any of these numbers.
Humidity will fluctuate.
Everytime you open it it will go down a little.
Adding new cigars can also change your levels a little.

I like my cigars at 70% RH.
I don't even use any beads or other water source.
It is the normal RH in my corridor.