• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Problem with Vinotemp - the companys website

Do these or any other cooler-type units also heat? Do all of them only cool to achieve their temp. So if they get below the threshold they are set to, they do nothing? Just curious :rolleyes:

They are basically just mini fridges. Some are compressor based, others thermoelectric.
I don't imagine any of us need to heat up our cigars....
I guess, I'm not asking about "heating up cigars" I'm talking about maintaining a constant environment to store them....70/70. So what I am wondering, is if everyone keeps their house at a 70-72 range, what is the benefit of a coolidor?

Do these or any other cooler-type units also heat? Do all of them only cool to achieve their temp. So if they get below the threshold they are set to, they do nothing? Just curious :rolleyes:

They are basically just mini fridges. Some are compressor based, others thermoelectric.
I don't imagine any of us need to heat up our cigars....
I guess, I'm not asking about "heating up cigars" I'm talking about maintaining a constant environment to store them....70/70. So what I am wondering, is if everyone keeps their house at a 70-72 range, what is the benefit of a coolidor?

I think one of the main benefits is that it provides a nice tight seal which aids in maintaining the proper humidity. It also helps keeping temperature constant since in a home your temperature has a much greater ability to fluctuate before the furnace or AC can catch it up. Its much easier to maintain temp/humidity in a smaller area of a vino where you have control then it would be of a desktop sitting on a kitchen counter where the larger area is maintained by a thermostat that might be located in a different area of the house.

And maybe some of us are just anal about it. :p

I made my humidor out of 3/4 inch Spanish Cedar several years ago, and humidify it with a Cigar Oasis. Everything works wonderfully well "except" the RH isn't controlled as well as I would like. Sometimes when the AC is not on, and the weather is rough, it gets a little higher than I would like. I need to put a seal on the lid. But one of the schools of thought tells me to allow some fresh air in. I'm with you on the door seal thing though. I've listened to several opinions and still have questions.

My Vinotemp was also reverting to the lowest temperature after a power hit and no longer would go to its highest temp setting.
They didn't respond to my e-mails either.
I now keep it unplugged in my basement where the temp is a steady 65ish degrees.
The seal on the unit is still fine so I'm happy just leaving it unplugged and monitoring the RH.

Back