• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Problems with RH% in my Wine Cooler

Hylan85

I've done a lot of searching on the subject and spoke to CRQuarto for awhile last night trying to figure out the issue, however, I have not had any luck yet.

My Edgestar is holding over 70% RH with 65% HF Beads in it. I figured I may have over charged the beads, so a few days ago, I through them into the oven for 30 mins at 200 degrees and when I took them out, they were all white. I figured this would fix the issue now, the dried out beads would suck in all the excess RH and I would be holding a happy 65%. This morning, the hygrometer showed 74% RH, so I repeated the baking process. I through the dried out beads back into the fridge afterwards, and an hour later, 66% RH. 5 hours later, 72%.

I'm unsure what I'm doing wrong. I've had the fridge for almost a week now, and have yet to get the RH to stabilize or even hold in a comfortable zone. I have 10 cedar boxes in there that are either from boxes of cigars I purchased, or from empty boxes my local B&M gave me. There are over 80 cigars inside the fridge inside those boxes, mold has not occurred yet, but is becoming a major concern for me.

Please, any advice would be terrific.

I have had a similar problems with my Vinotemp and 65% RH beads. I had silica kitty litter in there and it was holding at 68%, but I wanted it to hold closer to 65% so i switched to beads. It almost immediately jumped to 72-74%. I had only charged the beads about 70 %. I sent and email to HF and was told it could take some time to stabilize. After waiting several days I dried the beads to about 20-30% charged and now it holds about 70% on the bottom and 68 on top. I can't for the life of me figure out why the RH is higher with the beads than it was with the kitty litter.

Here are 2 tricks to do that helped me when my fridges started to do that during summer. Go to the home improvement store and buy Luann sheeting 1/4" by 4' or 8'. Cut them down to the size of your vino's shelves, drill holes for ventilation and drop them under the boxes. The new wood will absorb humidity for a couple of months until at least the weather cools off. Plus luann doesn't smell, is cost effective, and if you need, double them up and make a shelf instead of the wire racks.

Next, the beads are working fine, I did the oven drying method too. It may be the constant cylcing on/off that building up condensation too fast. I purchased temp controllers from the homebrew websites and it will help. Just wrap the temp nodule? in the middle rack as the top and bottom usually shows a difference of 5-10%. Higher humidity will always be at the bottom. You can add PC fans if you want later for air movement.

This all worked fine for me during last summer,and during winter it was even easier. BUT, and here's where I'll get some flack............ I unplugged both vino's when our electricity was banging off the charts. It took a while for things to stabilize to 65-68%, but now it holds perfectly, just like my cooler. I don't have beetle problems as I check everything frequently, and even when the temps go as high as 80 in my garage, the humidity is still holding. The cigars smoke fine (to my newbie tastebuds), burn nicely, and when I get a shipment in,I throw them in a tupperware for 2 weeks w/ no humidification just to see if beetles come out. If not, in the fridge they go.
I don't plan on selling any stock, just to give to friends to smoke with me, so things are okay for me. If no one believes me, I'll send you a stick or two so you can compare your cigars with mine.Sorry so long winded.