• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Prohibition Porter

SewerRanger

If chocolate and coffee are so great together (just try and order something at Starbucks that doesn’t contain both) then one must ask, why don’t more beers feature this perfect combination? Lucky for me, the brewers at Capital City Brewery recognized this great taste combination and have produced for the world (or at least people in Maryland) Starbucks por- er, I mean, Capital City Prohibition Porter.

While not as full-bodied as other porters, it does have a generous chocolate and coffee taste that will instantly make you think a barista has spiked your mocha-chino. The beer pours very dark with just a hint of red color to it. Upon first sniff you can really smell chocolate and coffee with just a touch of barley. Your first sip presents some nice chocolate overtones, but overall coffee is the dominate taste here. Between the chocolate and coffee is a hint of roasted malt. None of which you’ll notice if you decide to quaff the beer, which you will be sorely tempted to do.

The head was tan and had a high retention rate to it; a bit surprising considering that Capital City Prohibition porter was rather light-bodied. It laced fine, but nothing to call home about. I tend to like porters with a heavier body to them, but the light body and the chocolate and coffee taste went together nicely. All in all the beer was more then drinkable. If Starbucks opened a brewery, then this is what it would serve.

Pics? They tend to tell a great story.

I kinda sorta remember drinking numerous pints of this when I was in DC over the summer to see the Mets play. My goal was to taste everything before the game, so I could decide what I liked best for after the game. :laugh:

If I recall correctly, it was my favorite out of everything they offered.

JLAudio said:
This was a review I wrote for another site a while ago and I don't have any pictures handy. Then there's also a slight work problem too. Almost 100% of the picture sites (Flickr, photobucket, etc) are blocked by the work firewall so I can't find any pictures of the stuff. I'd like to, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage there. I could do it when I'm at home, but I'm rather forgetful and sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day at "work" kind of makes you not want to go home and sit in front of a computer. At best I can give you this:
icon-porter.gif

it's the bottles label. If my brain remembers, and I've still got a bottle at home, I'll try and get some pictures up.

tomthirtysix said:
Unfortunately it's one of the only beers they make that I actually like. I think most of what they produce is garbage.

JLAudio said:
This was a review I wrote for another site a while ago and I don't have any pictures handy. Then there's also a slight work problem too. Almost 100% of the picture sites (Flickr, photobucket, etc) are blocked by the work firewall so I can't find any pictures of the stuff. I'd like to, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage there. I could do it when I'm at home, but I'm rather forgetful and sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours a day at "work" kind of makes you not want to go home and sit in front of a computer. At best I can give you this:
icon-porter.gif

it's the bottles label. If my brain remembers, and I've still got a bottle at home, I'll try and get some pictures up.

tomthirtysix said:
Unfortunately it's one of the only beers they make that I actually like. I think most of what they produce is garbage.

Is there a local source willing to ship to CA ??? Those flavor profiles are right up my alley. :thumbs:

As far as I know, you can't legally do that in Maryland. Maybe someone in DC or the surrounding area can help you out.

tomthirtysix said:

Yeah, I don't remember being impressed with anything else. I had to look at their site to see what else they had on tap, besides the Porter, because nothing else stood out to me. Except the Turbo or something like that. They served it in a goblet. Was full of caffeine or something. And it tasted like $hit.

Cap city? Beer is good yes but not great, IMO. Best place for beer in the DC metro area, is a place called Franklins, the blond hair bombshell is to die for.

As far as I know, you can't legally do that in Maryland. Maybe someone in DC or the surrounding area can help you out.

It is not legal to ship wine in and out of Maryland, for some reason everything else is an Okay. I live in Maryland and have no problems sending and ordering some Johnnie to my house.

David

Cap city? Beer is good yes but not great, IMO. Best place for beer in the DC metro area, is a place called Franklins, the blond hair bombshell is to die for.
If you count Bmore in that metro area then I'm going to have to give it to Max's Taphouse. Not only do they have 300+ bottles and 75 taps, but next door is a cigar smoking area. Damn smoking laws made it so you can't do cigars in the bar anymore.

It is not legal to ship wine in and out of Maryland, for some reason everything else is an Okay. I live in Maryland and have no problems sending and ordering some Johnnie to my house.

David
I stand corrected. I thought that was all alcohal

If you count Bmore in that metro area then I'm going to have to give it to Max's Taphouse. Not only do they have 300+ bottles and 75 taps, but next door is a cigar smoking area. Damn smoking laws made it so you can't do cigars in the bar anymore.

David
I stand corrected. I thought that was all alcohal

If anyone is willing to aid me in procuring some, I will certainly make it worth your trouble. :whistling: :thumbs: