• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Proper Toasting Technique

TexEagle

Very fresh Newbie here. I’ve googled and read a lot about toasting, cold draw, etc…I did do a search on “toast” prior to posting to make sure this wasn’t a previously discussed topic. I was unsuccessful at finding anything on this topic. Can a veteran explain their preferred lighting method? And why they toast and the benefits. Also how they toast - preferred roasting method of a cigar to pre-lighting. I think I understand and get it, but I know there is a wealth of knowledge here amongst members. Again apologies if this post is worn out or a dumb question. Just wanting to learn the ropes. Happy 4th and I bud you all an awesome rest of your week ahead.

Also any members open to being bombed or sent a nice stick I would love to gift or bomb a few to show my committed interest to the site. Plus I like giving to people.

Or if there is a military or first responder member that may be down on their luck or desire a stick they won’t buy the stick for whatever reason I would love to give my hand at the packing process and making somebody’s day. No pressure but I’m not scared to share phone number or address. Based on all the rules and what I’ve read I’m not opposed and proving myself.

Legends of the site please feel free to critique or tell me if I’m doing anything wrong.

I love my sticks and am thankful to have stumbled on this site. Very cool.

Kind Regards!
Steve

Very fresh Newbie here. I’ve googled and read a lot about toasting, cold draw, etc…I did do a search on “toast” prior to posting to make sure this wasn’t a previously discussed topic. I was unsuccessful at finding anything on this topic. Can a veteran explain their preferred lighting method? And why they toast and the benefits. Also how they toast - preferred roasting method of a cigar to pre-lighting. I think I understand and get it, but I know there is a wealth of knowledge here amongst members. Again apologies if this post is worn out or a dumb question. Just wanting to learn the ropes. Happy 4th and I bud you all an awesome rest of your week ahead.

Also any members open to being bombed or sent a nice stick I would love to gift or bomb a few to show my committed interest to the site. Plus I like giving to people.

Or if there is a military or first responder member that may be down on their luck or desire a stick they won’t buy the stick for whatever reason I would love to give my hand at the packing process and making somebody’s day. No pressure but I’m not scared to share phone number or address. Based on all the rules and what I’ve read I’m not opposed and proving myself.

Legends of the site please feel free to critique or tell me if I’m doing anything wrong.

I love my sticks and am thankful to have stumbled on this site. Very cool.

Kind Regards!
Steve

I was wondering if you'd still go public.. I was same way (Steve and I have been pm'ing this evening). I get you're hot to trot and new to bombs.. again, I did same:

I'm glad I did it, but knowing what I know now.. AND with what you've shared behind the scenes with me, I would recommend spending that same money on some CP merch from the store at the top of each page. It's also funner when a bomb is a surprise and you know the person better.

Check out the merch store, it helps keep this whole thing stay up and running.

I'll let some of the other guys give you their opinion on toasting. If you've googled it or done a youtube search, you've probably gotten some good information there. As far as "proving" yourself, just be active on the site for a couple of months and the bombing will take care of itself. Maybe someone will take you up on your offer and that is great. I don't desire to curb your enthusiasm but there is no reason to "prove" yourself to anyone. Do your research, ask questions, and participate in some threads, and the rest will take care of itself. I hope you've found the home you're looking for. CP ass has been a great addition to my life over the last 2-3 years.

I think you can read all kinds of articles and see a bunch of videos on the topic, but at the end of day it’s all about lighting the damn stick. Toasting simply helps start the ignition process. This way once you puff you will get better flavors as more of the cigar cylinder will be lit. If I was a snob and always smoked indoors I would probably only use cedar splints to light the cigar without introducing any pollutants like butane etc. But since most of us smoke in different surroundings and don’t have cedar splints handy etc we use jet flame or soft flame windproof lighters to do the job, so we can get to the actual cigar smoking 😉

I'll let some of the other guys give you their opinion on toasting. If you've googled it or done a youtube search, you've probably gotten some good information there. As far as "proving" yourself, just be active on the site for a couple of months and the bombing will take care of itself. Maybe someone will take you up on your offer and that is great. I don't desire to curb your enthusiasm but there is no reason to "prove" yourself to anyone. Do your research, ask questions, and participate in some threads, and the rest will take care of itself. I hope you've found the home you're looking for. CP ass has been a great addition to my life over the last 2-3 years.
Thank you @JoeMO for the response. Will do.

I was wondering if you'd still go public.. I was same way (Steve and I have been pm'ing this evening). I get you're hot to trot and new to bombs.. again, I did same:

I'm glad I did it, but knowing what I know now.. AND with what you've shared behind the scenes with me, I would recommend spending that same money on some CP merch from the store at the top of each page. It's also funner when a bomb is a surprise and you know the person better.

Check out the merch store, it helps keep this whole thing stay up and running.
Love your original newbie post. I’m with u on the energy. And the fact the last two sentences were BS. Fantastic. I was ready to ask lots of questions about your career. Lol. I’ll try to lay low, and learn. I think you and I may have a great time since well…JJ Watt was such a big part of our community and still kinda is. And…I’m a huge Eagles fan down in TX. NFC rivals. Lol

Will order a shirt and hat for sure. Thanks again Dan for the mentor-ship.

I have no issue supporting a platform where cigar smokers can gather and be kind to one another. Until my eagles play the packers.🤣 Maybe we can make a bomb bet on that game. Whoever loses owes the other person a premium stick? Heh heh. Hope I didn’t just break a rule. If so…slap me back in my lane sir.

Sorry for my ignorance. What does “go public” mean? Posting? Or posting my address to my profile? Either way I believe I’ve done both. Still learning how to set up the profile.

Roger that sir. Thanks for the intel. Lot of turds in the world. I just want the members to understand I’m not a dude here with bad motives or anything but a brother of the leaf. I’m in the electrical world and not here to promote anything but friendships and gain knowledge and experience of cigars.

A lot of you may not know this, but I am a stickler for a proper light on a cigar. If you are smoking 18 to 20 cigars on a weekend, you can stop reading now...

I truly believe that, just like any hobby, you want to get very good at it. In all respects I do. When you light your cigar, you want to do it the best way possible. So, take your time. Single flames or very tight multi flames work the best. Start in the middle and work your way around the foot, blowing on it occasionally until you see the whole foot glowing. THEN take a puff. Then a few more puffs. And enjoy.

I believe you will notice a difference in the taste and the burn.

A lot of you may not know this, but I am a stickler for a proper light on a cigar. If you are smoking 18 to 20 cigars on a weekend, you can stop reading now...

I truly believe that, just like any hobby, you want to get very good at it. In all respects I do. When you light your cigar, you want to do it the best way possible. So, take your time. Single flames or very tight multi flames work the best. Start in the middle and work your way around the foot, blowing on it occasionally until you see the whole foot glowing. THEN take a puff. Then a few more puffs. And enjoy.

I believe you will notice a difference in the taste and the burn.

This.

I prefer a soft flame if possible, but outside that usually doesn't work very well -- so, a single flame torch with 5x refined butane (Xikar and other good brands have this; not so much the dollar stuff you buy at the supermarket). My method was to graze over the foot back and forth whilst spinning the cigar for full coverage from far enough away where the flame is barely touching the tobacco. Once the foot is reasonably glowing, I focus on the edges, and then spend a little more time concentrated on the center of the foot. Only then do I give it a few puffs. Usually it's fully lit at this point, but if it needs some touch up, have at it. Also, keep in mind that once you have a decent light, a properly stored and humidified cigar will quickly even itself out if there are just a few spots that aren't burning yet. No need to scorch the thing until the wrapper is charred black halfway up to the cap.

As for your offer, you can't buy love here. ;) Just be you and be productively active.

It's about aroma of lightly toasting a cigar and getting hit by these familiar smells. You've either never smoked this cigar or know it like the back of your hand.

Either way just like when you smell dinner being made in the other room. You subconsciously envision eating it.

Knowing the texture and taste of dinner you get hungry and can even make you salivate. Thus activating your tastebuds making you hyper aware.

This is also exactly why the first few puffs of a cigar are often described with unique notes that quickly come and go.

In my opinion it's more so about the ceremony than what flame you use.

I am fairly similar to other guys that have posted above me... I toast the foot, generally in a circular-type motion from a spot where the flame is just far enough not to be touching the foot. Would I be able to taste a difference if I changed it up? I don't think so, but it is so ingrained as part of my routine that I'll probably never find out lol.

I like having a process - it is part of what gets me in the zone, especially after a long day.

Bahahahaha! I must say some of the answers above were extremely helpful. In a few short days I have learned SOOO MUCH. Idk that I’ll ever explain how ass backwards and screwed up I was before I found this place. 🙈. The beautiful thing is I get to continue learning. @meiji i am not sure I’ll be trying your toaster method sir.

I prefer to toast versus lighting it like a Marlboro (best analogy I could think of.) That blast of heat when lighting like a cigarette messes with my palate for the first 1/3.

I personally would take a good single flame over any multi flame lighter, single is just more precise IMO. I have the Colibri copy of the Dupont Extreme and its honesty annoying to use.

As stated there are a ton of videos, just find someone you like to watch and perfect whichever technique you choose.

Enjoy!