• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PSA: Flea and Tick repellents

:Monty:

Over the weekend I applied Biospot to all four of my dogs, it's an alternative to frontline. We have 3 dachshunds and a lab mix. The next day two of the dachshunds were having uncontrollable ear and head twitching.

We called the vet and were told to immediately bring the dogs to the emergency clinic. They told us it was a neurological response to the toxins in the Biospot and that they were in serious danger.

Once at the vet's office we were told there was nothing that they could do for them because of the amount of time they had been exposed but that it was not life threatening. If it was, they would have been gone already. The Vet prescribed some muscle relaxers for the twitching and told us the toxin should be out of their system in a few days.

Everyone's fine but what a scare. The Vet just had a dog die from a similar product the day before. After searching online I found this...http://www.biospotvictims.org/

I hope the manufacturers of this product die in a fire.

edit: grammar

My wife is a DVM, and recommends Frontline, Advantage, and Vectra because they don't absorb systemically. Stay away from Biospot, Hartz, and Defend. She says a bath in Dawn dishwashing detergent could help your pups from any lingering effects.

Wow thanks for posting this. We use K9 Advantix on our pooch but this is great info. Definitely wont ever switch to biospot. I would be heartbroken if anything happened to my dog.

We also use Advantix, And I would help lite that fire if something happened to our dog.

My wife is a DVM, and recommends Frontline, Advantage, and Vectra because they don't absorb systemically. Stay away from Biospot, Hartz, and Defend. She says a bath in Dawn dishwashing detergent could help your pups from any lingering effects.

Our vet made the same recommendation but did point out that he had seen deaths from all of them. Hartz and Biospot seem to be the worst. He had a Maltese die from a Hartz product just the day before. I can't believe these places are in business, I always assumed these products were safe.

Think it will work on people? I have a few in mind. ;)

Hope your dogs don't suffer any long term ill effects and make a nice quick recovery. Scary stuff.

We use K9 advantix as well. I just looked at the box though and it is also mostly Permithrin. It must be a delivery formulation issue. There are too many things that are bioactive floating around out there that go unmonitored by the FDA or EPA.

I hope the manufacturers of this product die in a fire.

This is what I am thinking at this point. What I often wonder is how the people that work making this crap and testing it live themselves every night when they leave work? Those people are definitely going straight to hell.

Frontline Plus here, on dogs as small at three pounds (teeny Chihuahua).

Never an issue, zero fleas, healthy dogs.

We use Frontline as well, though we only put it on our dog while he is at our camp with us.

I once mistook the dog version of the over the counter (pet store) frontline for the cat kind. Killed my kitten in a matter of hours! Both tubes were loose in a drawer and I grabbed the wrong one by mistake. It started with the head and ear twitching, then seizures and then all out nerve failure. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen. Kitten was only about 6 months old, and I had her 3 days.

Last time we got a kitten, it came with a little flea scare as well. Since we have 3 other cats, we got the flea stuff and treated all of them as well as the kitten. Everyone was fine at the end of the day, but within probably a few hours, my one calico was foaming at the mouth. Looked like a mad dog or something lol. Was a reaction to the stuff, never seen that before though and she had been treated once when she was a kitten as well.

They are indoor cats, so the best part is we don't have to deal with that again.