• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Purchased first humidor, Got a question

BornaTiger

Reaction score
It is used and in good shape and I paid next to nothing for it. The analog hygrometer is holding steady at 72 in the humi. I am still going to recalibrate it, just to be sure.
My question: If the hygrometer proves to be accurate, do I need to season the humidor?

My hunch is no, but I don't want to screw up some damn fine stogies.

Analog hygrometers are notoriously inaccurate.  Spend $20.00 and buy yourself a digital hygrometer.

BornaTiger said:
It is used and in good shape and I paid next to nothing for it. The analog hygrometer is holding steady at 72 in the humi. I am still going to recalibrate it, just to be sure.
My question: If the hygrometer proves to be accurate, do I need to season the humidor?

My hunch is no, but I don't want to screw up some damn fine stogies.
Analog Hygrometers have a reputation for not being very accurate or at a minimum, not being accurate very long.  If you intend to enjoy our hobby for a period of time, I highly suggest finding a digital hygrometer to keep you informed of the humidity in your humidor.

What Monk said.

When you get a digital one, make sure it's calibrated correctly then make the decision on re-seasoning.

If the humi was properly cared for, you will probably not need to do anything but put cigars in it.  You might also want to look into heartfelt beads, if there isn't something similar in there already.

It just has a sponge humidifier on the lid. I was planning on taking it off and using the humidipaks in its place.
Thanks for the advice, I will add a digital hygrometer to the list.

-Brian

Beads or Boveda packs are the way to go. Throw the sponge away. And my guess is you will need to season so you may want to start that process while you wait for you beads/packs and hygrometer to come in.

Paul

Lots of great info already to get you started.   If you stick around here long, that one won't be big enough for very long anyway.

Chad

CBoukal said:
Lots of great info already to get you started.   If you stick around here long, that one won't be big enough for very long anyway.

Chad
You got that right! It is a start, though.

Tall Paul said:
Digi Hygro and packs ordered.
Sheesh, anything else? :whistling: J/k
Thank for the help, everyone! I really do appreciate it.

BornaTiger said:

Chad
You got that right! It is a start, though.

Tall Paul said:
Digi Hygro and packs ordered.
Sheesh, anything else? :whistling: J/k
Thank for the help, everyone! I really do appreciate it.

Fill a shot glass with distilled water and put it in there till you items arrive.

DISTILLED WATER!!!!    Just making sure you caught that in Paul's post

CBoukal said:
DISTILLED WATER!!!!    Just making sure you caught that in Paul's post

This.  If you use regular water, you will kill your humi...

I got the humidor yesterday. Today I rubbed down the inside with a moist sponge. It absorbed the moisture pretty quick but I didn't rub it down again. I put a shot glass in there and closed it up. My hygrometer will be here tomorrow (fingers crossed). Once its calibrated  I will toss it in there for the rest of the seasoning.
The humi packs will be here thursday.
Since it soaked up the moisture fairly fast from the wipe down, should I rub it down again?

O Boy!

Don't rub it down let it do it naturally by letting the wood suck up the distilled water out of the glass. I have wiped humidors down before and never had an issue but it is HIGHLY recommended AGAINST! Let the shot glass do its thing for a few days. Keep the humidor closed don't open it all the time to check it. It will do its thing and check it every couple day to see how it progresses.

The sponge was rung out pretty damn good before the wipe down. I don't think warping is gonna be an issue.

It is sitting up in my closet now in the dark. I'm not gonna mess with till I calibrate that hygrometer.