• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Purchasing Boxes for Future Use and Aging

Coinguy89

New Grower
Currently, I have several favorite cigars (CAO Brazilia, Drew Estate Java, ACID Blondie, anything Gurkha, and a couple of house blends from a local tobacco shop). I have tried a great many of cigars and my humidor is full of different singles I have yet to try. But, the ones I have mentioned are my favorites and was wondering if it would be a smart idea to start saving up (I'm 19) to buy boxes of my favorites for my future years, because they may no longer be produced. I have a tuperdor that is holding about 300 singles now but still has room for several boxes worth. Is that a safe place to keep a box for aging a few years until I have a nice official humidor? Opinions are well appreciated.

Currently, I have several favorite cigars (CAO Brazilia, Drew Estate Java, ACID Blondie, anything Gurkha, and a couple of house blends from a local tobacco shop). I have tried a great many of cigars and my humidor is full of different singles I have yet to try. But, the ones I have mentioned are my favorites and was wondering if it would be a smart idea to start saving up (I'm 19) to buy boxes of my favorites for my future years, because they may no longer be produced. I have a tuperdor that is holding about 300 singles now but still has room for several boxes worth. Is that a safe place to keep a box for aging a few years until I have a nice official humidor? Opinions are well appreciated.

1) do not store the acids and javas with the other non flavored sticks get a seprate tuberdor for them
2)the snap lock kind works best ,but as long as it holdes humidity its good.

Bro,

Absolutely DO NOT 'stock up' for the future. Your tastes will do a complete 180* soon, and you'll be loving what you now cannot stand, and visa versa. There are so many different cigars being released each year, don't limit yourself like that. There will always be new cigars released for your enjoyment. If you like a cigar, purchase a box, but don't purchase 3 because you are worried they are going to be discontinued. Good luck man, nice to see another young guy on CP. I'm 20, so I know the situation you find yourself in.

-Aaron

Bro,

Absolutely DO NOT 'stock up' for the future. Your tastes will do a complete 180* soon, and you'll be loving what you now cannot stand, and visa versa. There are so many different cigars being released each year, don't limit yourself like that. There will always be new cigars released for your enjoyment. If you like a cigar, purchase a box, but don't purchase 3 because you are worried they are going to be discontinued. Good luck man, nice to see another young guy on CP. I'm 20, so I know the situation you find yourself in.

-Aaron

x2 .... if you stick around CP I can almost guarantee that in less than a year you will not feel the same way about the cigars you listed as your favorites. Hell, you may not even be able to smoke them any longer because your tastes will have so dramatically changed. Don't stock nothing! Imo, the only thing you should be concerend about at this point is singles and fivers of as many different cigars as you can.

Bro,

-Aaron

X3...The smokes you listed will always be around in one form or another. Instead of deciding when and what boxes to buy, there will come a time when you absolutely must have to have a box(es) of Cigar X, damn the consequences. That's the time you'll stock up :whistling:

Bro,

-Aaron

x4 Having bought a box or two before finding CP I have to agree with what everyone else is saying 100%. At the time I liked them, but my palate was very unrefined. Those things that I bought before are now almost unbearable to me. Further, the cost savings of buying a box vs. a fiver isn't really all that much if value the experience of finding a new cigar. All of us are on a "cigar budget", some little and some big, so why tie up (assuming) are large portion of you capital on a single investment.

I would recommend, carefully, watching CBid. You can often find fivers at prices some what lower than CI has them listed at. I say be careful, because sometimes in the furry of bidding you end up paying more than you intend (yes, from personel experience).

Also, if you have the money currently, may I suggest stocking up on "special occasion" cigars. Over the past few months I have had the good fortune of working a fair amount of OT. I have used a portion of that money to buy some higher end sticks. I am stocking them away because money may be tight in the future and when a buddy gets engaged or finds out he is having a kid or something else of that nature I want to be able to enjoy something special with them. So until the time comes the will simple be resting.

Good luck and enjoy

Brandon

I see you've been around for about a year and a half, but have you tried a newbie sampler? Just curious, because if you had, it would seem unlikely that most of the cigars you've listed would still be at the top of your list. If you haven't, you definitely want to give it a try.

I see you've been around for about a year and a half, but have you tried a newbie sampler? Just curious, because if you had, it would seem unlikely that most of the cigars you've listed would still be at the top of your list. If you haven't, you definitely want to give it a try.

X2 on the newbie sampler! A great opportunity to try some really good smokes that you might not try unless someone picks them for you. I strongly encourage you to give it a try!

Okay, thanks for the tips guys. I will continue to buy samplers and try varities of singles. I do enjoy ordering from CI and love their prices/deals.