• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Putting Labels On Cigars

Boomer52

Good Friends, Good Cigars
My collection is growing and I want to start labeling my cigars with the date, size, and maybe a few other things. I don’t have blank bands and am wondering if it is safe to put an Avery label directly on the cellophane. I would place it on the portion that is folded over at the foot of the cigar.

Will the adhesive bleed through the cello over time and damage the cigar?

Tried search but did not find anything regarding adhesive labels directly on the cello.

My collection is growing and I want to start labeling my cigars with the date, size, and maybe a few other things. I don’t have blank bands and am wondering if it is safe to put an Avery label directly on the cellophane. I would place it on the portion that is folded over at the foot of the cigar.

Will the adhesive bleed through the cello over time and damage the cigar?

Tried search but did not find anything regarding adhesive labels directly on the cello.
I don't think you have anything to worry about, even if the plastic wrapper on the cigars really is cellophane, which it probably is not. It probably is some other plastic which has much less permeability than real cellophane.

You are fine on the cello.

If you decide to labe cigars without a cello, I suggest gorilla glue. The wrappers are very fragile and the gorilla glue will expand and bond the label to cigar with no problems...... The extra kick from the burning glue is a nice compliment to the nicotene also!!

:laugh:

That's an interesting question.

Lets face it, those labels have chemicals on them. It may not affect the cigar with the cello but what about the other cigars that you are
storing next to that do not have a cello?

There are numerous places to buy plain cigar bands. IMO, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Brian

I would use blank bands on the nudies, and a fine point sharpie to write directly on the cello of the others, many people here have been doing this for years.

I know my local uses a small self-adhesive barcode label on all singles (cello wrapped, of course), and they're usually positioned just like you're thinking, basically as a seal.

That's an interesting question.

Lets face it, those labels have chemicals on them. It may not affect the cigar with the cello but what about the other cigars that you are
storing next to that do not have a cello?

There are numerous places to buy plain cigar bands. IMO, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Brian

This is true, but what about the adhesive on the blank cigar bands?

The reason I ask is that I received some smokes form a very generous BOTL and he had round Avery labels that he had printed on his computer, affixed to blank bands. I believe one or two were also applied directly to the cello. I really liked the way the printed labels looked, and with my handwriting, the printed ones would be legible.

Having never used blank cigar bands, I don’t know if they are on a sheet or loose. Can they be fed through a printer? Would the paper cigar band contain the label adhesive better than the cello?

Thanks for the input.

Because I am lazy, I will quote myself from another thread

THIS

+

THAT

=

The Answer

I've been using this system for a while with the Brother DK1204 labels stuck onto the blanks and I think it was some of the smartest cigar-related money I have ever spent.

And in answer to one of your questions, the adhesive on these blank bands does not touch the cigar - they only have gum at the ends so the bands stick to themselves. I then affix the brother label with all of the info I have printed on it on top of the blank because those labels have completely gummed backs.

Good luck!

- Tim

I use a label printer (Dymo something or other) and blank labels for nekkid sticks and I put the labels right on the cello of sticks that have it. I find it is a very effective method of keeping track of what I have and where I got it. It even allows me to avoid the inadvertent sale or gifting of a cigar that I have been gifted instead of the exact same cigar I bought myself.

I'm not worried about chemical transfer anymore than I would be with writing with a Sharpie directly onto the cello.

Thanks for the info guys.

Synnyc, I saw the “this” and “that” after I posted. Good idea.

LilBastage, putting the source on never occurred to me, but it is a great idea. I will incorporate it into my labeling. I assume that some of the sticks you have with the label directly on the cello have been that way for a year or more with no problem.

My concern is that over time the adhesive on the labels soaks through the paper and turns into a gooey mess. I know the cello is permeable, at least to water vapor, and was not sure if the adhesive would also go through and damage the cigar. I think I will be safe and get some blank bands.

Thanks for the info guys.

Synnyc, I saw the "this" and "that" after I posted. Good idea.

LilBastage, putting the source on never occurred to me, but it is a great idea. I will incorporate it into my labeling. I assume that some of the sticks you have with the label directly on the cello have been that way for a year or more with no problem.

My concern is that over time the adhesive on the labels soaks through the paper and turns into a gooey mess. I know the cello is permeable, at least to water vapor, and was not sure if the adhesive would also go through and damage the cigar. I think I will be safe and get some blank bands.

I have some cigars that have been this way for well over a year (or two, or three :whistling: ). Even though I have now changed my labeling to Avery labels I make through my inventory db, it wasn't because of any problems I had. I've seen Tim's labels and they're pretty darn good for this purpose.

You are fine on the cello.

If you decide to labe cigars without a cello, I suggest gorilla glue. The wrappers are very fragile and the gorilla glue will expand and bond the label to cigar with no problems...... The extra kick from the burning glue is a nice compliment to the nicotene also!!

:laugh:

I disagree mate. Solvent based Silicon Sealer gives a much better hit. :whistling:

I know for a fact that the blank cigar bands that I have been doing group buys for are made by a company that makes cigar bands for small runs for quite a few manufacturers.

Long story short, whatever adhesive they are using is safe enough that other cigar companies use them for printed band manufacture.

Now, I'm obviously only speaking about the bands I've had made. No idea what the deal is with other vendors.

I can also say that I've been using blank bands on naked cigars for something like five years now, and no ill effects, even after five years, and I'm pretty sensitive to changes in aroma... hope this helps.

I know for a fact that the blank cigar bands that I have been doing group buys for are made by a company that makes cigar bands for small runs for quite a few manufacturers.

Long story short, whatever adhesive they are using is safe enough that other cigar companies use them for printed band manufacture.

Now, I'm obviously only speaking about the bands I've had made. No idea what the deal is with other vendors.

I can also say that I've been using blank bands on naked cigars for something like five years now, and no ill effects, even after five years, and I'm pretty sensitive to changes in aroma... hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I'll be watching for your next group buy.

Thanks for the info. I'll be watching for your next group buy.

x2 on everything rramstad said.

I find the adhesive used has no noticeable odor and if applied properly has absolutely no negative effects on the cigar. I will say it is a pretty strong adhesive so be careful when applying to the cigars, if you get careless you may wind up sticking it to the wrapper which can easily tear. As long as you take your time and don't use too much pressure until you know for sure everything is lined up right you'll be fine.

And I think there are still bands left over from the last group by rramstad held.

And I think there are still bands left over from the last group by rramstad held.

Yep, in fact, I just topped that thread a few minutes ago, as I'm going to ship some bands tomorrow...

I can't move that fast but if you have more I would like to get in on the next shipment. I'm not in a real big rush since I don't have a lot of time to put them on the cigars right now. Hopefully my schedule will lighten up in a few weeks.

Thanks for toping the other thread.

Yep, in fact, I just topped that thread a few minutes ago, as I'm going to ship some bands tomorrow...

I can't move that fast but if you have more I would like to get in on the next shipment. I'm not in a real big rush since I don't have a lot of time to put them on the cigars right now. Hopefully my schedule will lighten up in a few weeks.

Thanks for toping the other thread.

I have plenty unless there's a sudden and weird spike in demand. Most of the reason I bring it up now is that I only ship every couple of weeks or so, trying to do them in batches, so if you fill out the web form and are unlucky, you might wait a couple of weeks before I get them in the mail... and I happen to be shipping tomorrow, for those who like to get stuff quick. No worries!