• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

QDO GC: First smoke

Eins

This is my first attempt on a report. So please be kind :0

I'm new to cigars. I'm brand new to Cubans. I thought I'm not ready for the fuller bodied ones, so I followed the advice to get these Quai D'Orsay Gran Coronas. They are my first ISOMs.

They came from HK and rested in my humi at 67% for a few days before I lit up the first one. A punch and a spark later, I tasted--nothing. Okay, there was a faint taste of smoke but nothing worth writing home about. Smelling the smoke through the nose was very pleasant. This is a cigar that bystanders must love. But for this smoker, it was a low-impact experience.

After about 5 minutes, it went out for the first time. The burn was not very even until then, but it got better after the second time. This one lasted for quite a while, and I must say, by half the length, there was a nice taste. Somewhere between vanilla and caramel. Quite pleasant. Unfortunately, it went out again by the time it reached the last third. I let it cool down and chopped off the end with my brand new Xikar (what a sharp cutter!). It lit up somewhat okay but needed constant maintenance to stay lit, with the result of getting hot. I did not enjoy that last third and let it die an inch and a half before its end.

With 24 of them left in my humi, I'm not giving up on them yet. How long should I let them sit and rest and age? They were rolled in April of 04. Oh, and I can anticipate the comments of getting the humidity down. I'm working on that.

The cigar was too moist... :(

I would recommend letting them rest at least until April of '07. These cigars have an great flavor if stored correctly and smoke best in the morning/afternoon.

Try to smoke the next one at 60%-62% and smoke it slowly... :)

I've been storing mine at 60% lately and they smoke fine (well for me anyway, I'm not too picky).

Poor eins is probably sayin' "Ya mean I gotta wait TWO YEARS before I can smoke 'em?" :D

Devin's got good advice but I think you'll have a better experience with these this year if you can manage to bring the humidity down around 60%

Actually, it would be two years and 4 months, but then, my birthday is in April, so I would have a long term present coming to me :laugh:

In other words, if such a long storage makes such a big difference, I don't mind waiting.

About the 60%, that is going to be harder. I would have to file off a bit off of each of the 65% beads to make them 60% :0 , or how else can I get there?

Since you have 24 left, if you're willing to part with a couple, shoot me a price for 2.

Robert :thumbs:

I'd agree with Devin, though I'd let 'em sit for a bit longer, if you can. As far as lowering the humidity, another thing to do is sit the cigar out for a couple of hours before you smoke it. Maybe even overnight if you know you're going to smoke it the next morning or afternoon. This will take some of the moisture out and it should burn better for you. The Quai de Orsay should have a light floral flavor, though the GC will have a bit less than some of the other sizes. The vanilla and caramel are spot on, but a light floral quality should also come into play with these. Aging them will do wonders!!

BrownDevil said:
Since you have 24 left, if you're willing to part with a couple, shoot me a price for 2.

Robert :thumbs:
[snapback]154365[/snapback]​

my cost of 185/25*2=$14.80+shipping/handling at cost.

I don't have any good containers or shipping material at the moment, so it will take a while, but I'll earmark ( :laugh: earmark a cigar!) two for you and let you know when I'm ready (if you want them). Give me some ideas what to pack em in. Since you live in the desert, do you want them sealed in a condom? :) Hold it, I don't have any.

Giving this some more thought, how about a trade and you send me something Cuban that's smokeable soon. BTW, I don't live in the desert, hint hint. I would then use your packaging for return.

Get some small sandwich bags or Saran wrap, wrpa each cigar, go to the post office get a Priority Mail box and a little bit of bubble wrap and send it off... don't need much to pack up a couple of cigars.

Maybe I could interest you in a couple of premium NC sticks. I only have 2 isoms, but they were a gift from an unnamed guy (cough neal cough) and I find it on the tacky side when people give/trade/sell/etc. gifts. Besides, I love VRs.
Let me know, or I am happy to pay you for em. No rush.
:thumbs:

Make sure you calibrate your hygrometer. While 67 rh is too high, it could even be higher. To lower your rh with Climaxx beads use a hairdryer.

As far as your '04 QDOs, they probably do need some time. If you're looking for something on the mild side, try the Diplomaticos. Its similar to the Montecristo, but a little milder and sweeter. There are plenty of '02 #4s floating around.

Eins said:
In other words, if such a long storage makes such a big difference, I don't mind waiting.
[snapback]154334[/snapback]​

How refreshing. Seems like there is little patience around here when it comes to aging cigars. All I ever see is "I aint waitin', I might get hit by a bus tomorrow!" On the other hand you probably won't get hit by a bus and you just might find yourself with some damn fine aged cigars to smoke ;)