• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Quarantining Cigars

Torpedo Bob

Reaction score
A buddy of mine brought me some cigars he got when he was in Antigua.

Not sure what environment they were in in Antigua and I'm concerned about the potential of bugs geting to my humidor and ruining everything. 

Is it OK if I keep them in a sealed "baggie" with a humidification pack in it?  Just curious about no air circulation possible causing the new cigars to mold.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, that would be fine.  You could also freeze them for 3 days, then fridge them for 3 days and finally put on your counter for a few days.  Then place them in the humidor.

I think the community would really appreciate it if you would go and fill out your profile, tell us a little about yourself and post an introduction thread.  Thanks in advance.

Kendall just keeps his moldy sticks mixed together with the rest of his stock.

Thanks.  I leaning hard toward the freezing method.  I guess that is the safest ting to do.

I forgot to do the profile, thanks for the reminder.

Search is your friend!

and...

ilikefishes said:
Yes, that would be fine.  You could also freeze them for 3 days, then fridge them for 3 days and finally put on your counter for a few days.  Then place them in the humidor.

I think the community would really appreciate it if you would go and fill out your profile, tell us a little about yourself and post an introduction thread.  Thanks in advance.
Fridge..then freeze...then fridge...then humi.

I discovered a beetle infestation in a baggie of lanceros a few weeks ago.  Several had multiple holes and there were several dead beetles that I could see in the baggie.  I knew the freezing strategy but wanted to get more specific information.  I found this University of Florida article and concluded that you need to freeze them for at least 7 days to be really sure. The baggie is in the fridge now. :thumbs:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/stored/cigarette_beetle.htm

LarryH said:
I discovered a beetle infestation in a baggie of lanceros a few weeks ago.  Several had multiple holes and there were several dead beetles that I could see in the baggie.  I knew the freezing strategy but wanted to get more specific information.  I found this University of Florida article and concluded that you need to freeze them for at least 7 days to be really sure. The baggie is in the fridge now. :thumbs:

Technically...your fridge won't kill the larvae....you need a bigger 'chill'!

:D

grateful1 said:

I'm hoping the UoF is correct and the prior 7 days in the freezer did the trick.

LarryH said:

I'm hoping the UoF is correct and the prior 7 days in the freezer did the trick.

It may kill the adults (those are the beetles)...the larvae, not unless they changed some physics behind it.

Don't believe everything you read on the interwebs! ;)

You need access to a commercial freezer capable of -40F. Otherwise you're wasting your time. Your kitchen freezer will kill the bugs but the eggs will still be viable.  As Gary said, just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
You need access to a commercial freezer capable of -40F. Otherwise you're wasting your time. Your kitchen freezer will kill the bugs but the eggs will still be viable.  As Gary said, just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

Doc
Can you share the science behind this? I'd always assumed it was the expansion as the water in the egg turned into ice that killed 'em. Does that not happen until -40F?

Which is the same as -40C... I only know that because it was a math problem I had on a test once. :D

I got the info from a cigar smoking biology teacher. Which is a whole lot better than the internet. I personally don't understand the science behind it, other than beetles, in general, are damned hard to control.

Doc

They are in the freezer now.  All I can do is hope for the best.

I know someone that has the ability to flash freeze to kill critters in produce.  I wonder if that would work.

Pugman1943 said:
Well, here goes my foot in my mouth, what about using dry ice?
On the surface, that seems an excellent idea. I am not sure about how the "gas" would affect the sticks but since it is used with food, I would guess that it is safe. I think I would transition from fridge, freezer, then dry ice which I think is approx minus 109. Then reverse for the thaw. Interesting idea. Could be a good experiment with some cheap sticks.

On the surface, that seems an excellent idea. I am not sure about how the "gas" would affect the sticks but since it is used with food, I would guess that it is safe. I think I would transition from fridge, freezer, then dry ice which I think is approx minus 109. Then reverse for the thaw. Interesting idea. Could be a good experiment with some cheap sticks.
Indeed, would be very interested how that turns out.

Tagged for the results of this experiment. I wonder how long they have to be in the dry ice cooler?

Interesting idea.  You have to follow through, you have hundreds sitting by their computers waiting for the results.

Just try to bag up your sticks in plastic wrap and ziploc bags.  It's relatively inert but it might cause some acidification of any moisture in the sticks.