• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about bead tube placement

flamchop

65/65
Sorry if someone covered this already but I couldn't find it in a search.

I was wondering if the placement of the bead tubes in a desktop humi mattered at all? I have a 100-ish ct. humidor and I have a few 65% tubes. One 2 oz., and three 1/2 oz. tubes. I believe this is more than what is recommended but the Heartfelt site says that's okay.

What I've noticed (I think) is that some of the sticks are becoming a little soft, and it's the ones that are closest to the tubes, especially the biggest tube. I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing, but they are definitely softer than when I bought them. A little more mushy to the touch than before.

I have the biggest tube and a 1/2 oz. in the bottom area, then the other two 1/2 oz. tubes in the top tray. The ones in the top tray though are pretty much right up against the cigars and have to be because of the size. I have two calibrated digi hydros in there one on each shelf and they both usually read between 60-65%.

So I'm wondering if it matters that some of the tubes have to be right up against the cigars or if that's okay and as long as I'm getting good RH readings I shouldn't worry about it? I just smoked an Oliva Serie O and it smoked just fine although felt a little too soft to the touch.

I have some pics in this thread of my humi you can see where things are placed but the pics were taken before I got the extra tubes. What I'm trying now is not wetting the tubes as much... I'm experimenting with only wetting maybe 50% of the beads but I'm afraid of the RH going too low.

Thanks in advance!

You hit already on the two points I was going to make. They smoke fine and not over wetting the beads. Good luck!

I JUST started putting those tubees in me humi. I have a 250 ct., and I have two 4 oz. tubes, but I don't ride em close to my sticks.

I haven't experience any problems, but time will tell...

Dunno, I have had my tubes close to my sticks for about 3 months or so, and have had no problems so far. Then again, I am still a rookie and they haven't aged very long with the tubes. lol. Maybe this will help though. No problems so far!

Don

I have a larger 500 ct humi and I was able to designate a small area in each tray and a pretty large area at the bottom for beads to go. I used the tray dividers to make that area so that the beads were never in direct contact with the sticks I have in there. I have had good results so far and it really doesn't take up that much room...

Don't worry, it won't be long before you're talking about beads in pounds and not ounces anymore!

When I ran a desktop, I had gars right against tubes of beads and never had an issue.

One concern is when you add moisture to the beads. I used a spray bottle and distilled water. I'd let them sit out for half an hour or so, to "soak in" a bit and lose some of the initial excess moisture. Never had a problem.

I ran two tubes in the top tray, and one in the bottom. Worked like a charm..... :cool:

Good luck - B.B.S.

4 pounds (give or take) and counting.... :whistling:

I've never had an issue with putting the tubes right next to/near cigars.

Quick add to point out that beads are something that won't wear out, and something you won't outgrow. I have beads in socks all around my cabinet to help stabilize the humidity a bit. Seems to help with a cooled cabinet. A solid investment in taking good care of your cigars, to be sure.

Regards - B.B.S.

Thanks for the replies. I do think the problem is probably that I was wetting all the beads too much and not leaving a good amount of them dry to absorb extra moisture. I took one tube out completely and the others are only partially wet and so far the humidity is hovering around 66-69% on the bottom. That leads me to believe the cigars did have too much moisture in them? Because it really shouldn't go above 65% with those beads.

I read in another thread that having one totally dry tube in there works well too to absorb any extra moisture from sticks that are too wet. I'm gonna recalibrate these hygro's too just for the heck of it, I think the Boveda one step kit is supposed to last a few months anyway.

Back