• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about freezing cigars.

Humidor Minister

Does freezing your cigars change the flavor or the texture? Another question is, does it eliminate the chance of Beetles from that point forward? I know that freezing some foods or liquids will change their taste i.e. milk. Here in the desert it's hard to keep my desk top below 78 to 80 in the summer months. Just planning for the future. After seeing the disasters that have been posted recently, I'm planning for the worst and hoping for the best. :thumbs:

A general consensus is that freezing cigars will not change their profile. A good portion of manufacturers freeze their cigars before they are sent off to be sold. This freezing process is to effectively "kill" beetle larvae and therefore eliminate beetle outbreaks down the line.

As for letting your cigars sit in 80 degree heat - I recommend a VinoTemp. Man up and spend the coin now, save yourself a headache later.

Edit: Typo.

I've pointed this out on numerous occasions, but once again. Jorge Padron told us he does it all the time. Pulls a cigar out of the freezer....lets it sit about 10mins....then smokes it.

Good enough for him....good enough for me.

I guess I should have looked at this thread before I started to ask the same questions on another. Go ahead I deserve it tell me SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND NEWB!! LOL
Josh

LOTS of questions being asked lately in the form of new topics... that have been covered extensively in the past. Always search first!

It may not seem like a big deal but once you've been here a little while you start to see the same questions over and over and the same links to searches over and over.

LOTS of questions being asked lately in the form of new topics... that have been covered extensively in the past. Always search first!

It may not seem like a big deal but once you've been here a little while you start to see the same questions over and over and the same links to searches over and over.
The previous answers given on this site are based on older research, and will not be as effective on current beetle strains. The link I gave above is the latest peer-reviewed paper that I could find on the topic. Old questions sometimes have new answers, particularly when evolution is involved.

Ok smart azz. I tried the search and nothing came up. :angry: Glad it works for you. :thumbs: I really would rather keep my cigars in my hand crafted humidor than a target wine cooler. That's why I asked the question. Thanks Baldheadedracing for the straight forward answer.

You know what you should do. Get a vinotemp and put very nice wood around it making it look like a VERY large humidor.

Ok smart azz. I tried the search and nothing came up. :angry: Glad it works for you. :thumbs:

"Freezing Cigars"

edit: You stated you were concerned about the temperature in your humi, so people posted suggestions. A vino is the cheapest, and IMO, best way to ensure your cigars stay at a nice cool 64~ with maintained humidity. If you are set on using your desktop humi only, well.... Either make your room cooler or deal with it.

There is a reason a lot of FOGs don't post on these types of questions anymore... Because they have already weighed in on the subject and it can be readily found.

I don't mean to go around sounding like an a$$hole, but really, the search engine is pretty simple to use.

My search Kung-Fu is TERRIBLE. I have probably searched for 25 or so different things and NEVER, not once, did I find what I was looking for. Every search comes up with about 10 60 page topics that are too long to search thru and then some others that aren't relevant. Perhaps i have just been unlucky, not sure. I will say that I can google find stuff with the best of them but here I seem to have no luck with it. I am open to suggestions on how to improve my kung-fu if anyone has any tips.

As to the original questions: I'd have to agree with the others HM, I think a Vino is in order. Just use it for box storage and long term stuff. You will still have your gorgeous desktop(s) for daily usage.

My search Kung-Fu is TERRIBLE. I have probably searched for 25 or so different things and NEVER, not once, did I find what I was looking for. Every search comes up with about 10 60 page topics that are too long to search thru and then some others that aren't relevant. Perhaps i have just been unlucky, not sure. I will say that I can google find stuff with the best of them but here I seem to have no luck with it. I am open to suggestions on how to improve my kung-fu if anyone has any tips.

As to the original questions: I'd have to agree with the others HM, I think a Vino is in order. Just use it for box storage and long term stuff. You will still have your gorgeous desktop(s) for daily usage.
Are you using the CP Google search box (at the bottom of this page)? If you are used to Google, then you may find that the bottom search box works better than the IVision search from the menu bar. (The IVision search also defaults to only searching the sub-forum you are in at the time, which may also have contributed to not finding what you're looking for.)

Ok smart azz. I tried the search and nothing came up. :angry: Glad it works for you. :thumbs:

"Freezing Cigars"

edit: You stated you were concerned about the temperature in your humi, so people posted suggestions. A vino is the cheapest, and IMO, best way to ensure your cigars stay at a nice cool 64~ with maintained humidity. If you are set on using your desktop humi only, well.... Either make your room cooler or deal with it.

There is a reason a lot of FOGs don't post on these types of questions anymore... Because they have already weighed in on the subject and it can be readily found.

I don't mean to go around sounding like an a$$hole, but really, the search engine is pretty simple to use.

Aparently there are 2 search engines. I used the one at the top of the page. That one doesn't have as much info available. I don't have any place to put a vino cooler so I'm looking at other alternatives. Aparently even the FOGs don't have a solution for this. Hence the question about freezing. I have a full 500ct cabinet that I keep at my office but that's 6 miles away. BTW I am a FOG. I've been smoking cigars for over a decade and just turned 45. Because I didn't see the 2nd search engine shouldn't get me chastized. :thumbs:

The new forum software will include a major upgrade to the internal search engine. Right now it's very difficult to find anything using the built-in search engine. For now, use the Google search bar at the bottom of the page. When we install the new forum, the internal search function will be greatly improved.

The new forum software will include a major upgrade to the internal search engine. Right now it's very difficult to find anything using the built-in search engine. For now, use the Google search bar at the bottom of the page. When we install the new forum, the internal search function will be greatly improved.

Thank you Rod and sorry for misunderstandings. :thumbs:

"Freezing Cigars"

Aparently there are 2 search engines. I used the one at the top of the page. That one doesn't have as much info available. I don't have any place to put a vino cooler so I'm looking at other alternatives. Aparently even the FOGs don't have a solution for this. Hence the question about freezing. I have a full 500ct cabinet that I keep at my office but that's 6 miles away. BTW I am a FOG. I've been smoking cigars for over a decade and just turned 45. Because I didn't see the 2nd search engine shouldn't get me chastized. :thumbs:

There's actually 3 different ways to search, the top search bar, the bottom google bar, and my favorite, the advanced search option from the top bar.

As far as freezing cigars changing the flavor, I imagine that would have to do with the amount of time spent frozen. I've heard of people freezing cigars for around a week, and having them smoke fine straight out of the freezer. As far as a long term storage option, I would think it would eventually damage the cigars, freezer burn and what not. You could, perhaps, look into a smaller scale cooling method for your home humidor(s), like a small thermal electric unit that you could mount on the back.

Edit: Oh, and as far as the "FOG" thing goes, I've learned in my short time here that it has little to do with age or smoking experience, and a lot to do with presence in the community.